DN 501E - switching from 20oz to 16.9oz bottles

cmazur71

I have several DN 501e machines and am converting over to 16.9oz pop bottles (a mix of Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper)

I need help figuring out what I need to do to each column to vend correctly.  I am setting the machines up with the following products:

A.) 16.9oz Pepsi

B.) 16.9oz Coke

C) 16.9oz Dr Pepper

E) 20oz Gadorade

Thanks in advance!

I'm also interested in buying these parts too..so if anyone sells them please let me know.  

If your columns are currently set up for 20 oz bottles, you'll just need to swap out the bottle shims for can shims to vend the 16.9 oz bottles. The 20 oz gatorade will vend with your current setup. You'll need to adjust the back spacers to accommodate the different sized products.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to a few machines tomorrow to swap 20oz bottles for 16.9oz bottles.   I have my can shims and think I will be able to figure out how to swap them.  

A couple of questions before I go:

Will I need to worry about any rod & spring assemblies?  I read a few other posts where they mention using rod & spring assy in hole B

Also, will I have to change the motor cam? settings?

1 hour ago, cmazur71 said:

I'm heading to a few machines tomorrow to swap 20oz bottles for 16.9oz bottles.   I have my can shims and think I will be able to figure out how to swap them.  

A couple of questions before I go:

Will I need to worry about any rod & spring assemblies?  I read a few other posts where they mention using rod & spring assy in hole B

Also, will I have to change the motor cam? settings?

If you're just swapping to 16.9 oz from 20oz, you'll need to swap shims and adjust the back spacers so that the bottles press the sold out paddle but still leaving a gap about the size of your finger to allow for slight movement. Depending on how many bottles deep its currently set up for, you'll need to adjust the cam settings also. You'll want to have one notch showing for one-deep or two notches showing for two-deep,although I'm not sure you cab go two deep with 16.9 oz bottles. I think they might be too real, but I've never tried personally.

I don't have spends or toys on any of my 501e'so, and I haven't had any issues.

Well I was successful...changing 501e from 20 oz to 16.9 oz bottles.   I had to change the cam (brown) setting from 5 to 3.   The columns already had bottle shims in there, and they worked fine with the 16.9 oz bottles.  

I read on many forums that I would need to add a rod and spring assembly to each one, but I did not do that here (didn't have the rods).  The 16.9 oz bottles vended just fine.  

For my own knowledge, what are the rod & spring assemblies for?  What were they supposed to do?  I am not against adding them if they are necessary, but the 16.9 oz did vend OK without them.  

I think they help prevent jams by guaranteeing proper alignment but I'm not sure. They were originally designed for older cans, not modern cans. At least that's my understanding.

Oh, and you should be using the same cam setting for 16.9 as for 20 oz but if it bends, it vends. You generally only need to change to can shims as 16.9 oz bottles are the same diameter as 12 oz cans. Again, if it vends, you're good. If it jams, it's because of the shim.

Archived