The fall of the quarter machines

Skaught

Are people really looking at their change and saying, 'I can't afford to lose these 2 quarters. I can lose one though.'? I really don't see the vending business being harmed as much as the rest of the economy. I think people still view change as change though.

Kyle, you do make a good point on candy vending and how inflation will indeed push it to .50 vends at some point.

However, every market is different, I know in my market if I tried a .75 toy vend I would probably die a slow death, I do think that a .75 flat sticker/tattoo might sell, I have seen them around my area, as well as 1.00 stickers/tats.  The .75/1.00 toy vends just don't seem to move here, I have far outsold them anytime my machines went up against them in a location.  I have no idea what it is, maybe kids in this area are more collecting types than toy playing types.  That has just been my experience.

I can change out the parts of a coin mech of a vista from 10c to 25c for $6.50. Buying the entire coin mech costs $15. Now I know it's a simple matter to upgrade a mech from 10c to 25c, but how much more would it be to go from 25c to 50c. The point I'm trying to get to is is it worth it to upgrade the parts in a mech or do I need to just buy a whole complete 50c mech?

It depends on the company.  NW mechs you have to buy new because the face cant be adapted.  A&A I think is the same way.

Oak/Eagle mechs I believe you may be able to do it by getting parts.  I know I had 26 Oak mechs that were .01 to .10 and all I did was buy them for $5 each and the parts from oak for about $6 each, so with one coin mechs it is very doable on most mechs.  The mechs where you put two coins in back to back, it may be doable I would think, but I have not done so personally, so I could be wrong.

The problem lies with how the setup is for the various companies .50 mechs whether you just need the back plate and gear or a whole new face, which is basically like having to buy a whole mech in pieces anyways.

I think the transition to higher priced vends is more doable in a rack scenario. If you have a rack with several 1" heads, you can have some that are 50c for high end toys and some that are 25c for gumballs and mystery mixes of leftover items.

Planting a single (or double) with 50c vends all by itself my be a harder pill to swallow, especially if you are in a location that already has other venders doing only 25c.

I agree with you Darryl, although I have one or two spots where I have .25 and .50 toy heads on singles the sales haven't increased very much or at least well below expectations. 

Racks are definitely more doable, as nearly all of them have .50 vends and up anymore on the top, the bottom you nearly always have .25 gum and 1" toy mixes, etc.

It depends on the company.  NW mechs you have to buy new because the face cant be adapted. 

Joe, I don't think this is true. I was looking through the Northwestern parts price list the other day and it listed parts for changing mechs from .25c to .50c.  Although I've never done it,  it looks like it will cost $12.50 in parts versus $20.50 for a complete .50c coin mechanism.

Hmm, depends what is on the racks, I think mine break down like this:

golpher Gum - 10% COGS

1" Toy - 20%

2" Toy - 15-30% (.50 vend) depending on which toys

1" Balls - 20%

Flavor Gum - 10-12% COGS

Also I run stickers/tats at one of my racks, that is 20% COGS.

Commission is 30% of total gross sales, so for me I am around the 30% to 40% of sales neighborhood depending on what products are there, including all commission and cost of product.

That's what I was looking for. I thought if we had it organized in the poll section it would help those who are not familiar with rack economics to see how it breaks down. This way it may encourage others to diversify into racks when they see an opportunity to get a used one at a good price. I put one poll for .25 and the other for .50 to get a general idea of the different levels. That way we all could see that racks can earn you more per vend then just candy.