Help! On site and in trouble with DN501T

jimwarneke

Column 3 dispenses whenever money is put in machine. Set at .75, as soon as third quarter drops so dies a can - without selecting any of the eight buttons.

Had an issue when I got here with it dumping too many, then not dispensing at all. Emptied column, held sold out switch closed and vended motor until it was clocked the same as columns 1 and 2, and reloaded. Now I have this problem.

Also, for point of info, I blew breaker when removing the motor cover by shorting it to motor 2, replaced while machine was powered down and reset breaker - now having this problem!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Also multiple vends are likely due to a dirty switch on the timing cam switch. That is the micro switch whose arm rides on the cam as the vend motor turns causing it to stop in the valleys of the timing cam. Replace it or at least clean it until you can replace it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Also a sticky motor brake can cause the motor to coast too far. If you have a 2 switch stack, one should be in the notch, the other not. If they are both in the notch, that's why the automatic selection.

There are 3 stacked switches on the cam.  One is off of the notch when the other two fall into the notch.

I thought about the selection button after I posted this, and when I checked it out I saw two places where the wires were pinched and the copper was showing.  I thought "Jenga!"  These must be grounding out causing a constant 'selection' condition, but when I insulated them, and also when I disconnected them completely, the same condition exists.

3 coins, get a Sprite ...

I will be going back tomorrow morning, but really need to research what parts to take and what to check when I get there.

Also, is it possible to run this machine correctly without the motor cover on for troubleshooting?

How do I know if column 3 'jumped a tooth', when column 3 is positioned the same as columns 2 and 1, it looks like column 3's cam is lightly more clockwise than columns 1 and 2.

Always compare a working motor to the problem one. Make sure the cam is in the same position. On a triple switch, the single short arm should hit the notch and the motor stops before the 2 switches that share the longer actuator. Otherwise, do the comparison.

If the motors check out, selection switch is bad, or maybe some water in the large connector at the bottom of the door.

And, it's OK to test vend with the motor cover off. That way you can see what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the selection switches are NC (normally closed), so if you saw damaged wiring, I would check the continuity of that too. Do you have a multimeter to check with?

I realise I'm late to the party, so hopefully you've already sorted it.

I should have logged in to let the group, and anyone searching this thread, what we found ...  as many suspected it was a coasting motor.  We replaced the motor the next day and all was well.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Archived