Electrical problem

The machine is a 501e hvv. It was working fine until recently. Now it pops the breaker on the outlet every time I plug it in. Coke has a machine on another outlet next to my machine. The Coke machine works fine. But when I plug my machine in, it pops the breaker on that outlet too. I tried plugging in my machine to another different outlet that does not have a breaker button on the outlet and the machine turns on. But, every few seconds, I see sparks coming from the back of my machine and smells like something is burning. Should I try a new cord? Has anyone experienced this? Please help

I don't know about sparking.. but when a compressor is drawing too many amps to start up (because the windings are going bad), it can trip breakers because the amp being drawn exceeds the limit on the breaker itself.  When you say a "breaker button" I am assuming that's a GFCI.  If you break the GFCI, that's probably because they are very sensitive and may be rated lower than the breaker itself.  A short circuit should kill the breaker instantaneously, but something drawing too much power may last a second or so.  However, the sparking from the back can almost only be caused by the compressor, a starting component, or the cord itself.  It's possible that a starting component is shorting out but my money is on a bad compressor.  You'll at least know 100% if it's the deck or the machine when you plug the deck in directly, bypassing the rest of the electronics.  If it does trip the breaker again this way, then you need to pull the deck out and get it serviced.  I think what's happening is the starting component is messing up because the compressor is bad but diagnosing that, specifically, is over my head.

I'm feeling pretty confident that it's something on your refrigeration deck, but you definitely want to bypass it first to confirm that it's on the deck and not somewhere.  I haven't had them spark, but I have had them trip the breaker before.

It's certainly an electrical issue, not mechanical in the compressor bell housing.  It could be the power cord or the wiring to the compressor or the wiring on the compressor behind the plastic relay cap or a bad condensing fan with a hole in it or brittle wiring to it.  Lot's of ors there but that's what a remote diagnostic is.

Archived