Hot box

prekitting has solved a lot of that problem for me.  Most products are on the truck for day of delivery only; for offline machines some of the extra comes back and gets repacked for another location, so 2 days is usually max.  Of course, candy is still going into a cooler, but bagged for each stop instead of a large stock cooler.  It took me a while to switch over from carrying everything on the truck but now that I have I would not go back....

I have to ask you this first.. what kind of vehicle are you using for deliveries?  Does it have windows where direct sunlight can get inside?  I have had troubles with sugar wafers and popcorn in general.  People have complained so many times in the past SPECIFICALLY about wafers and popcorn being stale, despite the dates showing that it should be fine, that I stopped carrying popcorn or wafers.  I do carry the kind of popcorn you have to microwave sometimes, but I don't overdo it simply because people go crazy for it and quickly get burnt out.  The brand of popcorn that gave me complaints was usually Herr's, but I have had problems with smart food popcorn too.  All of that aside, direct sunlight will make it hotter faster than anything, but having the sun beat down on the roof is also a prime source of radiant heat.  I used some window tint that was made for home to tint my van windows.  It has been quite effective.  Anything exposed in the front (where it's not tinted) gets hot easily.  In the rear, the effect is minimal compared to the front.  I DO have problems with chips and snacks coming open in the summer heat though.

I use a retired U-Haul truck, so no sunlight gets in. It gets entirely too hot though. I would guess over 150 degrees inside. I plan on painting the roof with some white roof coating as soon as it cools down here enough to do it. I also will install a roof vent. I guess I will have to make room in my coolers for sugar wafers. People love those when they're not stale. I had popcorn from herr's that was stale when I got it from the distributor because he used a standard mini storage for his products.

I had to stop carrying herr's because the distributor now has a minimum of 14 cases. I have contacted the area manager and he said he wou talk to the route owner. No luck.  Do you have that problem?

That doesn't make any sense.  I had a local brand that sold chips and had a minimum of about 8 cases, but he gave me his phone number and told me he would sell me a box at a time if I met him somewhere.  I don't see how you can't make money when you are literally just handing it over.. But what do I know.

Archived