Churches - a viable place for charity vending

hope4honor

Wanted to kind of pick peoples minds here. Do you think churches would allow the pink "candy for a Cause" box in? Ideally it would lend itself (I hope) to honest people. Wanted to know if any are out there and your thoughts. Everyone chime in. Please don't be shy. If you think its a dumb idea just say so. Thank you!!

To us, churches (or church offices) would be a waste of time.  Their hours are selective and can be difficult to service on a regular basis.  ALSO...do assume that because it is a church that the people are more honest.  NOT TRUE. We had a couple church offices years ago, and removed them because of shortages or having difficulty servicing the box.  Aim for regular businesses.  That is where you will get your best volume.  Just me 2 cents. :)

Do you do Snack Trays or the Lollipop boxes?  With Snack Trays, I'm referring to the tray with chips, cookies, candy (usually priced at $1.00 or $1.25).  Just curious.  I have been doing Honor Snack trays for almost 25 years and like to see new businesses get started in our industry. :) 

On 10/14/2017 at 10:46 AM, hope4honor said:

I do not do the trays. Would like to. Not yet. I do the mint boxes. 

Curious - y do u like to see new businesses get started?

Absolutely!  It's good for the Honor Snack industry to have new businesses start.  And I am open to share my experience with those who are looking for any advice.  Where are you located?

I am running my routes in Northern Ohio. I really appreciate this. I am committed to doing everything right. So far with my limited experience I like it.

The boxes don't talk back. The locations - although I have been kicked out of a few (mostly corporate deals - district manager walks in and says out of here) - for the most part are very nice to me (Of course I am very nice to them - I always give a HUGE smile - sounds goofy, but I think they look forward to it). I am going slow and steady. I am looking for quality over quantity and builiding nice long (if possible) relationships. And....I genuinely love the fact fixed amount of  money goes to charity. Now I know each box is not much but collectively.....

The honor boxes are a simple system, that is for sure.  The "District Manager" is a common obstacle.  However, don't write the corporate locations off.  6 months from now, they will have a NEW District Manager and they will want the boxes in every store.  It goes in waves like that. :)

As a pastor besides the struggle of unusual hours for many churches, not everyone who comes through the church office is a quality person. We have some real characters who come through who would think they are free snacks put out by the church for them to enjoy. Also my youth group would think the same thing and the next thing you know the box would be empty and only a couple of dollars in it. When it is just the staff or leaders of the church are in it would have plenty of money and be fine. I wouldn't do it. I would do a gumball machine or drink machine in a very large church if they had a gym or large youth room.

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2017 at 4:30 PM, flintflash said:

Do you do Snack Trays or the Lollipop boxes?  With Snack Trays, I'm referring to the tray with chips, cookies, candy (usually priced at $1.00 or $1.25).  Just curious.  I have been doing Honor Snack trays for almost 25 years and like to see new businesses get started in our industry. :) 

What type of new business are you referring to Flint?

47 minutes ago, shvending said:

What type of new business are you referring to Flint?

Honor snack businesses.  The honor snack business has been slowly declining across the country and I like to see the industry grow.  When I started out back in the early '90's, there were several large operations in many different states.  It seems many of them have gone the way of the Dodo bird.  Micro markets are growing by leaps and bounds, larger vending companies are buying up smaller ones, but I don't hear too much activity in the honor snack realm.  It's good to see new operations form. :) 

1 hour ago, flintflash said:

Honor snack businesses.  The honor snack business has been slowly declining across the country and I like to see the industry grow.  When I started out back in the early '90's, there were several large operations in many different states.  It seems many of them have gone the way of the Dodo bird.  Micro markets are growing by leaps and bounds, larger vending companies are buying up smaller ones, but I don't hear too much activity in the honor snack realm.  It's good to see new operations form. :) 

Flint, 

We are a fairly new to honor box vending ourselves.  We started in May 2016 with 50 displays.  We have grown that number to 650 locations with roughly 700 displays on location (several have multiple displays.)  

We have been in the bulk vending business since 1956.  Needless to say, this was a different step for us and lets just say we have not been disappointed.  

Over the past couple of months we have come to realize there are not very many options for people to get into this business.  Right now everyone knows Sheridan Systems and the work they do.  We work them and all of our displays has came from these fine folks.  

Our problem I am finding is the limited number of suppliers.  Unless you want to create your own display and go that route.  Is there other options out there?  Is there a company that competes with Sheridan?  

Just curious.  

1 hour ago, shvending said:

Flint, 

We are a fairly new to honor box vending ourselves.  We started in May 2016 with 50 displays.  We have grown that number to 650 locations with roughly 700 displays on location (several have multiple displays.)  

We have been in the bulk vending business since 1956.  Needless to say, this was a different step for us and lets just say we have not been disappointed.  

Over the past couple of months we have come to realize there are not very many options for people to get into this business.  Right now everyone knows Sheridan Systems and the work they do.  We work them and all of our displays has came from these fine folks.  

Our problem I am finding is the limited number of suppliers.  Unless you want to create your own display and go that route.  Is there other options out there?  Is there a company that competes with Sheridan?  

Just curious.  

Do you service honor snack trays or the lollipop/mint boxes?  I believe that there is another supplier Cameron packaging that supplies a smaller box.  I have been using my own box since I started.  Personally I think that is the way to go if someone is planning on growing beyond a route that just supplements current income.  Why use the same box that everyone else uses?  That's just my two cents. :)   Sounds like you have a great operation going.  What state do you operate in?  

On 1/4/2018 at 2:42 PM, flintflash said:

It's ok flint flash. We have Michigan! I've just begun. That and candy and toy machines..... That's it for me.

On 1/4/2018 at 4:06 PM, shvending said:

Flint, 

Just curious.  

I'm using Cameron. They're all small boxes, but they work for me. Like flint flash mentions, it's about charity, and supplemental income for me. I stand in awe of someone who had 600 and more customers.

9 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

I'm using Cameron. They're all small boxes, but they work for me. Like flint flash mentions, it's about charity, and supplemental income for me. I stand in awe of someone who had 600 and more customers.

Are the Cameron displays durable?

My suggestion is, add some tape on the corners  and in other areas of the box it will help with rigidity and keep the money in the money box.  I have never used the center divider it just takes up room in the box.  Overall, I am really happy with them I just wish they were about an inch wider...

1 hour ago, shvending said:

I am just looking at the cameron displays and what I am having a hard time figuring out is how is the money door secured? 

I have used Cameron for the last 2 years.  The boxes hold up well.  I just use clear tape to secure the door, however I know some people who put holes and use zip ties.  On my accounts that  need bigger boxes I use the wood grain boxes (they are also cardboard boxes), but look like wood.   I get these boxes from Dennis Slack who had over 1500 snack box accounts in Iowa.  He has since retired but he sells these boxes.  PM me if you are interested and i will give you his info. They are also a quality box. I am nowhere near the 600 account mark, but I am sitting around 250 and plan on getting to 350 by the end of this year

On 1/8/2018 at 7:30 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

I have used Cameron for the last 2 years.  The boxes hold up well.  I just use clear tape to secure the door, however I know some people who put holes and use zip ties.  On my accounts that  need bigger boxes I use the wood grain boxes (they are also cardboard boxes), but look like wood.   I get these boxes from Dennis Slack who had over 1500 snack box accounts in Iowa.  He has since retired but he sells these boxes.  PM me if you are interested and i will give you his info. They are also a quality box. I am nowhere near the 600 account mark, but I am sitting around 250 and plan on getting to 350 by the end of this year

Gator, 

Congrats on hitting the 250 mark, I see 350 in the very near future for you (and no i'm not a fortune teller lol.)  What part of the world are you in?   

6 hours ago, shvending said:

Gator, 

Congrats on hitting the 250 mark, I see 350 in the very near future for you (and no i'm not a fortune teller lol.)  What part of the world are you in?   

I am actually in East Texas.  Longview.  It's 1 hour from Shreveport , la and 2.5 hours from dalls

Archived