Compressor won't run on a DN5591 - Thermostat?

ABCVending

Have an account in an apartment complex - two DN 5591 bottle drops very slow account but machines are secure and have not had any vandalism problems.

Went to service them this weekend and found that one had been pushed up flush against the wall (the chunk of 4x4 I had behind the machine to prevent this was gone)

Machine was on and the evap fan running but cabinet was warm - not hot, room temp.

The compressor and fans not running - I plugged in the compressor directly and it fired right up and started cooling.

Couple questions:

Don't think the machine was pushed up against the wall more than a day or tow - would that cause something to burn out (a relay or something) or damage the thermostat/cold control?

I think it is just a bad thermostat and will replace this week- or am I missing something?

ABC

It can burn up your compressor.  What likely happened was it kept overheating and kicking off so it couldn't cool.  There's no telling what kind of damage your compressor endured, if any, until you move it from the wall and test it.  If the compressor wasn't running before you bypassed the machine, then the machine could have turned it off.  I am unaware if a 5591 will do that.

1 hour ago, AngryChris said:

t can burn up your compressor.  What likely happened was it kept overheating and kicking off so it couldn't cool.  There's no telling what kind of damage your compressor endured, if any, until you move it from the wall and test it.  If the compressor wasn't running before you bypassed the machine, then the machine could have turned it off.  I am unaware if a 5591 will do that.

Sure - I get that horrible things have probably happened to the compressor, trying to determine what exactly those horrible things might be:

Right now, with everything plugged in and turned on, the machine vends fine, the evap fan(s) are running and air is circulating through the cabinet, but the compressor and fans are not coming on (dual compressor fans on this one)

If I unplug the compressor and plug it directly into an outlet, the compressor and fans start right up and the unit begins to cool properly - no weird noises, none of the wiring looks burnt or melted.

So something is keeping the compressor from coming on - suspect the cold control/themostat - turning it up/down (small increments leaving enough time between adjustments to see if compressor will respond - nothing) - unless I am missing something, the thermostat is what is keeping the compressor from starting since everything else seems ok - or is there some relay or fuse I should be looking at?  (all the slow blow fuses look fine, replaced them just to be sure - no change)

Anyway - I guess the fact that it got pushed up against the wall and choked out may have killed something, never heard of that killing a thermostat, why I was thinking maybe a relay or fuse....pretty sure the compressor survived, but what do I know...

ABC

Since it comes on when plugged in direct, the compressor is probably OK. It's your control system. I have seen the female plug that the refrigeration system plugs into burn up. Unplug the machine and remove the power box and have a look, ohm out your thermostat. If open, replace it. There's also a refrigeration delay and door interlock switch in play as well. If you don't have the complete manual, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.  

10 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

ince it comes on when plugged in direct, the compressor is probably OK. It's your control system. I have seen the female plug that the refrigeration system plugs into burn up. Unplug the machine and remove the power box and have a look, ohm out your thermostat. If open, replace it. There's also a refrigeration delay and door interlock switch in play as well. If you don't have the complete manual, PM me your email and I'll send it to you. 

Ok, copy that - thanks, I have a manual but it covers the 2145 & 5591 and now think maybe the cold control in this particular machine is different from the 2145 I have already replaced a thermostat in  - I think this one has a cold control AND a defrost control - going to pull apart the 5591 I have in the shop (serial numbers are close) and see what's what, good heads up on the burnt plug, will check that right away.

ABC

1 minute ago, ABCVending said:

Ok, copy that - thanks, I have a manual but it covers the 2145 & 5591 and now think maybe the cold control in this particular machine is different from the 2145 I have already replaced a thermostat in  - I think this one has a cold control AND a defrost control - going to pull apart the 5591 I have in the shop (serial numbers are close) and see what's what, good heads up on the burnt plug, will check that right away.

ABC

Yep, but if the defrost control was bad it wouldn't come on even with an extension cord. 

Turns out it was the thermostat - I think - I pulled another thermostat from a machine I have in the shop and swapped it out with machine on location and the compressor fired up and seemed to be cycling normally.  Thing is, with all the plugging and unplugging of connections to replace the stat, I guess it is possible I jiggled the right wire and got it to work again....

On 10/16/2017 at 2:33 PM, lacanteen said:

ohm out your thermostat. If open

I have good multimeter - not sure if I am checking the stat right - with the "working" stat, it reads "OL" when shut off and something like .001 when turned on.  On the suspected bad stat, multimeter reads "OL" when shut of and .000 when on.....

Operator error I'm sure.

Archived