Royal Merlin 4 eprom replacement

AngryChris

I tried to replace the eprom today (67100-2 with 67100-12) and, upon starting up, the display showed seemingly random lines and every component was offline by vendor, so i'm assuming the display was not the issue.  I also heard a regular clicking that sounded like a relay in the cabinet.  Unfortunately, Royal is closed today.  I put the old eprom back in and all is well.  Could i have done something wrong? Incompatible or bad eprom?  I tried to reset the board (which seemed to work) but the random lines in the LED only changed and still made no sense.  I was thinking that i might need a different display but i am lost at this point.

Update: after a second call to Royal today, I was informed that boards with eproms 67100-1 up to 67100-4 cannot be upgraded beyond version 4 and the board must already have version 5 or higher OR you need to replace the board.  I am not 100% certain if 67100-5 will completely upgrade to version 12 or if there is some other stop in there as well, but you definitely (according to this tech) cannot upgrade a 67100, version 1-4, with a higher version eprom beyond 4.  I am glad I only bought 1 eprom now because this one is kind of useless to me now.

He also informed me that, while a newer board may be compatible with existing royal merlin 4's, their latest board version requires changing the motor harness and one other harness to make it all work.  He did say that everything you would need is part of a kit, but the point is that you need to be careful about upgrading to the latest version board if it doesn't come with the new harnesses.  I think he said this applies to royals made before 2012 as that is when they changed things.

I figured I would share my info in case it helps someone else later.  The moral of the story is that not all Royal Merlin 4 boards are the same and even different versions of the "same" board can be the difference between getting cash sales and not getting them.

I went through Coinco since they are the ones that made those boards.  Coinco was able to update my old Merlin IV board...but I'm not sure what version it was.  I do remember Royal telling me that I would need the new harness if I purchased a new board for my Merlin IV...that's why I went through Coinco.  You should contact Coinco just to confirm what Royal told you.  

Archived