New to vending, questions on what vending machine I should get

9 hours ago, Daniel215 said:

The man the myth the legend himself! I have been watching your videos since Ben has told me and yes they’re extremely helpful. Thanks for making your videos and I’m subscribed too! Got to show my appreciation!

Thank you...I appreciate it!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, Vendo Mike said:

I go work in the field for one week and miss some good content!!!  I would be offended by  AZVendor's shot at Vendo Vue30/40 but I've been washing the taste of that machine out of operator's mouths since I came to Vendo.   That machine had some issues and that is why Vendo discontinued that model more than 6 years ago.  Vendo's GGFV (GF9) is a much better glass front vendor but I since they've only been in production for 5 years, there aren't many used units on the market.  Most people are familiar with BevMax and know what problems to expect and how to fix them.  It's not always about it being a better machine but what the operator is familiar and comfortable with.   

All glassfront machines require more service/maintenance due simply to the amount of moving parts involved.  They are pretty and its cool to watch the hand move but the real advantage to glassfronts are the ability to offer and display many different selections in odd packages.  If you intend to simply provide 8-10 products in standard cans or bottles, I would suggest investing your money in a standard "stack" vendor .  If you intend to sell 35 different packages in square bottles, cartons or glass, that's when glass fronts come into their own.  

Ahh got it thanks brother! So I was going to go the route of a glass front but based on all the info everyone has given me, you included, I’m going to go the stack machine route. It seems to be a best fit for my position. I’ve heard vending has been giving people issues as well so that’s why I’m looking at royal GIII and dn 501e or 276e. 

I don't think you'll find an experienced operator or technician on this forum with negative things to say about the Vendo's V21 series (621,721, 821) of stack vendor.  It's known as a workhorse which is why the cabinet and delivery systems have not been revised since 2002.    We change the door from time to time to keep with regulations such as ADA or to keep with the times. 

Dixie's 501E machines have been in the field for quite a bit longer so there are more used machines available and generally less expensive than a V21 in a resale situation.   Dixie stopped building stacks around 5 or 6 years ago so be wary of anyone saying "new".   

Royal's are a different monster all together due to their chain-drive system, loading and setup.  I would just suggest reading up on each and if possible, visit a local vending distributor so you can get put hands on each and make an informed decision.  A relationship with a local distributor will give you access to parts as well as much needed advise from a local professional.   Like anything, each person has their preferences so get all the info you can and weigh it all out for your situation.

To be honest a lot depends on where you are located some areas have a ton of used 501e.. other areas have more vendo’s maybe due to the individual reps or what the local bottlers use.  

As far as glass fronts the most successful vendors I’ve worked with typically only use glass fronts paired with a stack.... the stack holds the core faster moving products and the glass front holds the specialty drinks.

Someone mentioned preference and boy is that true so many service managers were so biased against one brand or the other it wasn’t even funny.. 

You mentioned you don’t mind spending more money on a machine etc.. one of the hardest things to learn as a new operator is what’s a good account and what’s a bad one.. many people will say 50,75,100 employees whatever the number is will be a good account, but I’ve seen plenty of accounts with fewer employees do as good or better, because they were not close to other options.

Starting out it is far better to get 2-3 lower cost quality machines than buying one expensive machine. I’ve had many owners tell me about an account they thought wouldn’t be very good and questioned taking it only to be surprised when the sales numbers came back.

I didn’t see you mention it but I know a lot of people will say you have to have credit card readers...unless you are at an account/location with machines already  but don’t have credit cards and that’s how you are getting it.. I wouldn’t recommend credit cards until you actually see what the monthly cash sales are along with the types of buyers you have at your machines.. 

btw this is coming from someone who has installed more credit card readers in vending machines than just about anyone and since 2007....a pallet of every USAT reader including the all in one thru the g10; Crane’s; Mei, nayack and Parlevel and cantaloupe’s first readers in field after engineering.

So I’m definitely not anti credit card... I’m just against having you spend more than you need to on a mistake... because starting out every business has those..