Anyone good with GFCI outlets?

tblake05

Having an issue with a 20 amp one tripping at random.

Same issue happened last summer which I found out that my wife was watering her garden and inadvertently spraying water onto the outside outlet which got some moisture.  Replaced the box, outlet, and even the GFCI cause its from 1999 when the house was built.  Alls well until now.

Recently it trips only when the water heater turns on. (propane powervent).  So its basically a control panel with some relays and a powervent fan.

Other items on the circuit are 3 small transformers.  (1 for security system, 1 for water softiner, and one for sprinklers).  I've unplugged all them as well as disconnected all the outside outlets on the circuit just to rule them out.

GFCI will still pop at random with just the water heater connected to it.  So I ran an extension cord from the water heater to the GFCI in the laundry room and it has been fine for 2 days.  Also connected everything else to that circuit but the waterheater and its fine.

Sounds like a failing GFCI outlet to me.  Correct?  But do they go bad?  and in just that short of time?

Thoughts?

Edited by tblake05

Put a weatherproof cover on the outside outlet and be sure you only have one GFCI in the circuit.  If one is built into the breaker then you shouldn't have one at an outlet, and you shouldn't have two GFCI outlets on the circuit.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, AngryChris said:

They do go bad and they can fail at any time.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:13 PM, AZVendor said:

Put a weatherproof cover on the outside outlet and be sure you only have one GFCI in the circuit.  If one is built into the breaker then you shouldn't have one at an outlet, and you shouldn't have two GFCI outlets on the circuit.

Thanks Guys!  Just one GFCI in the circuit.  In spring I'll replace the covers on my outside outlets as a preventative measure.  Was actually thinking about doing that even before I read your reply AZ.  cause they are the old flap style and now there are more robust complete enclosed covers you can get.

Anyway, I think I fixed it.  The GFCI I had in there that I replaced last year was a menards cheapo, and just replacing it with a top quality one from an actual real hardware store so far has fixed the issue and is going fine in over a week.  it would have popped within a day before.  If not immediately when the water heater turned on.

Check this out.  Same time I posted my question here, I also posted on another forum I belong to regarding arcade games (KLOV).  Check out the snarky golpher replies.  whoever 'thegleek' is, he always has issue with whatever I ask or comment whether it be a smartass reply or a frowny emoticon.  Not sure why he has it in for me.  I swear some people feed on negativity on the internet.  Then when you call them out, they are mega sissies.  just grow up.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/anyone-good-with-gfci-outlets.502481/#post-4462033

As an electrician, I will add my 2cents. GFCI outlets will fail over time, especially after several trips and resets.

While there is generally only one GFCI outlet per circuit it is possible to have more than one as long as they are wired correctly. Codes now require GFCI circuit breakers at the electrical panel. 

In addition to replacing your covers,(great idea btw) you should test your GFCI outlets at least once a year. 

Edited by Dvending
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Thanks Guys!  Just one GFCI in the circuit.  In spring I'll replace the covers on my outside outlets as a preventative measure.  Was actually thinking about doing that even before I read your reply AZ.  cause they are the old flap style and now there are more robust complete enclosed covers you can get.

Anyway, I think I fixed it.  The GFCI I had in there that I replaced last year was a menards cheapo, and just replacing it with a top quality one from an actual real hardware store so far has fixed the issue and is going fine in over a week.  it would have popped within a day before.  If not immediately when the water heater turned on.

Check this out.  Same time I posted my question here, I also posted on another forum I belong to regarding arcade games (KLOV).  Check out the snarky golpher replies.  whoever 'thegleek' is, he always has issue with whatever I ask or comment whether it be a smartass reply or a frowny emoticon.  Not sure why he has it in for me.  I swear some people feed on negativity on the internet.  Then when you call them out, they are mega sissies.  just grow up.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/anyone-good-with-gfci-outlets.502481/#post-4462033

I would have read it but it appears I need an account to do that.  How about a screen shot?