Dixie Narco 368 (compressor replacement)

Hello new friends,

I'm sure this has been beaten to death on every forum globally, but I bought an old Dixie Narco 368 and replaced the compressor deck last year. The new compressor failed. What I don't know is what type of refrigerant is in it. I'm suspecting R417 as it was a replacement to R12 but the compressor label has  me thrown off because it obviously says R134.

I'd like to replace the compressor only this time instead of $500 for the whole deck (compressor is right around $200) and I have everything else I need to swap it out. I am an EPA 608 Type I licenced individual so I can work on small appliances.

What I don't know is did the factory refurbish the old deck with a new compressor and fill it with R134 and change the capillary tube or did they pump it full of R417 and call it a day. Compressor failed in almost exactly one year so I'm suspecting contaminates or driving the compressor hard. 

Has anyone successfully done this and if so, what did you end up doing with the capillary tube? I have no idea how to calculate that one. :)

I hate to keep throwing money at this machine, but I just love it too much.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey

It doesn't matter what happened before but who did the last repair? MP39 is the direct drop-in freon for R12 or R134. What are your symptoms? If the compressor clicks on and back off then maybe it still has the old start relay and cap or maybe wrong ones. Any sign of the filter/drier even being replaced? If it's a pencil drier on it then probably not. If this is actually a bad compressor then replace it and the drier. Assuming it doesn't smell like a burnout blow the system out with nitrogen, rebuild it and vacuum it down. Rather than putting ounces of freon in it, install it in the cabinet and give it 2 shots of gas and fire it up. While running build your low side up to 18-20 lbs on the low side. Use 134a or MP39.

Compressor draws more amperage than the dedicated circuit can handle. Capacitor was replaced. Tried a secondary capacitor, would not start. Just kept tripping the breaker.

I don't recall seeing a filter dryer on it.

By the way, what "factory" are you referring to that "refurbished the old deck?"  There is also an overload that should have been replaced.  That is what trips the compressor off.

I am not sure which company did the work. The compressor deck was purchased from Monster Vending in 2021 and unfortunately I don't know who he buys from. Looks like a bunch of old components and a new Embraco compressor. Even without the overload in place, the compressor is still in a state where the motor will no rotate. 

The original deck (reclaimed and recycled) was R12 I believe.

The evaporator coil fan motor runs 24/7. Anytime the thermostat calls for cooling, the compressor will just click, you'll notice a heavy current draw with the lights in the machine dimming and then click. If it does this too often, the main breaker will trip. I tried bypassing the overload protection switch but the results were the same. Whacking it with a rubber mallet also didn't fix it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Godfrey

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue. I just did a compressor swap in my new (to me) Dixie Narco 522e, and now the compressor runs constantly, apparantly  without being regulated by the thermostat. 

..... Bad thermostat relay? 

I did a compressor swap in my Dixie Narco 501T a few months ago and it's working just fine. (The compressor gets kind'a warm, though... I don't know how warm they get when they're running properly)?

I'm sure you don't want your cooling deck running too hard. 

I got both of my compressors from eBay, both were 1/4hp and only cost me $107.00. (each) I'm sure the original compressors were 1/3hp... but the 1/4hp seem to do just fine, for me. And I used "automotive-type" R134a from my local Meijer grocery store. 

I answered your other post. All compressors get hot while running and you have just shortened your compressor life by putting undersized units in your machines. They will also run longer than a proper size compressor. You also likely have the wrong freon charge in them. And yet you are so proud of your accomplishments.

• Like 1

That's what I thought.  A jack of all trades is a master of none.  All you're going to do is throw money away on what you THINK will fix something and keep banging your head against the wall.  Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Don Coyote said:

Very proud to learn new things. I have a million hobbies... and HVAC is my latest. 

Smart enough to be very dangerous. 😎

Dude, there are reasons why techs need to be certified by the government in repairs of refrigeration. Because doing the wrong thing can be dangerous or deadly to others or the environment.

im sure you recovered the Freon from your deck with a reclaimer before you opened the system up to replace the compressor. Didn’t you?

Scuba tank aka the environment.

why do I feel like we’re being trolled.... oh ya, cause of all the stupid videos posted that no ones going to watch.

clickbait for YouTube money. or whatever your millennial dopes are into now. Spare us. Please.

Hey guys, let's not get off on the wrong foot. We know venting refrigerant is bad and comes with a $37,500 fine. I don't do HVAC for a living, but I have taught myself a lot over the years and I'm still learning...hence why I sprang for my 608 Type I certification just for myself. I have loads of hobbies. Astronomy, rc planes/helicopters, computers and electronics, anything mechanical, etc. 

Let's help each other out not put each other down. Sure, sometimes folks come along and absolutely do not know what they're doing. That's on them.

Edited by Godfrey