Upgrade a 3015

I have been looking for information on the forum regarding upgrading a USI 3015A to a card reader. Unfortunately, the only information I came across is the InOne OneBoard Retrofit however this looks to replace the mainboard and a screen and I am not sure what else is needed as I thought upgrading this is what allows a card reader/contactless payment. Is there a reason to not switch the bill and coin to MDB as well?

Is it possible to just use newer control boards and MDB coin and bill changers or is the display/touch panel incompatible with other systems (thus requiring the retrofit kit).

If someone (except AZVendor) can point me to a post where this is already worked out, I would appreciate it.

The stock board is not capable of MDB communication, which is why the new board is necessary.  The old displays aren't compatible with new boards.  Maybe they could be, but all retrofitted kits come with new displays anyway, which I think is a good thing.

Upgrading the board allows MDB communication to happen, which is what you need to connect a card reader.  The card reader is a completely separate device.  You can't "upgrade" a board to accept cards.  You just upgrade it to make it possible to add a card reader so the reader can accept cards.  

Think of it this way.... You want to add a printer to your residence but they are all USB.   Your really old computer doesn't have a USB port.  You buy a new computer and viola, you can connect a printer to it... but the computer itself won't print anything, because you still need the printer.

Upgrading old machines can be expensive, which is why you have to consider if the machine is really worth putting money into or if you should invest that money into a newer model.  You have to buy the card reader regardless.

As for adding a new board to the machine.. that's what the inone kit is.  You can't put an F80 board from a USI 3129 into a 3015.  The harnesses won't match up.  They are not compatible.

There's really no need to change the validator and mech to MDB.  I do, but that's because I like to add a refurbished mei 7512 and 2702 when I upgrade.  But sometimes the location really just doesn't care about bigger bills or they really prefer cards so I can save money by NOT replacing the mech and val.  However, if a mech or validator fails, I try to put only MDB replacement parts in and the failed logic/pulse components go in the dumpster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

The stock board is not capable of MDB communication, which is why the new board is necessary.  The old displays aren't compatible with new boards.  Maybe they could be, but all retrofitted kits come with new displays anyway, which I think is a good thing.

Upgrading the board allows MDB communication to happen, which is what you need to connect a card reader.  The card reader is a completely separate device.  You can't "upgrade" a board to accept cards.  You just upgrade it to make it possible to add a card reader so the reader can accept cards.  

Think of it this way.... You want to add a printer to your residence but they are all USB.   Your really old computer doesn't have a USB port.  You buy a new computer and viola, you can connect a printer to it... but the computer itself won't print anything, because you still need the printer.

Upgrading old machines can be expensive, which is why you have to consider if the machine is really worth putting money into or if you should invest that money into a newer model.  You have to buy the card reader regardless.

As for adding a new board to the machine.. that's what the inone kit is.  You can't put an F80 board from a USI 3129 into a 3015.  The harnesses won't match up.  They are not compatible.

There's really no need to change the validator and mech to MDB.  I do, but that's because I like to add a refurbished mei 7512 and 2702 when I upgrade.  But sometimes the location really just doesn't care about bigger bills or they really prefer cards so I can save money by NOT replacing the mech and val.  However, if a mech or validator fails, I try to put only MDB replacement parts in and the failed logic/pulse components go in the dumpster.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful explanation. Everything you said makes sense and is very helpful.

The current bill acceptor does not work (have not tried diagnosing it yet) I suspect it may not be the correct one. It says it's a Mars "VFM1-L1-U4C" and you can see in the photo someone looks to have monkeyed with mounting it.

Also, the motor harness has some kind of pigtail not mentioned in the manual. Is this for an accessory machine?

Thank you again!

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

The vfm could just be bad.  It's quite old.  I don't know why the pigtail is there.  It might be for a slave machine but whatever it was for, you probably can't get it because the 3015 is a good 30~ years old.  Personally, I scrap the 3014 and 3015 and similar looking machines.  I only keep the 3013 models because of their size.  The trays in the 3015 tend to bow and come off the rails and then don't look great.  It will work if you insist on upgrading it but not something I personally recommend.  The AP 7000 is also an old machine but they were built to last.  You can even replace the door and make it look almost brand new.  It's expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new machine.  But for someone starting out, used machines are ideal or even refurbished from a reputable distributor.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:04 AM, AngryChris said:

The vfm could just be bad.  It's quite old.  I don't know why the pigtail is there.  It might be for a slave machine but whatever it was for, you probably can't get it because the 3015 is a good 30~ years old.  Personally, I scrap the 3014 and 3015 and similar looking machines.  I only keep the 3013 models because of their size.  The trays in the 3015 tend to bow and come off the rails and then don't look great.  It will work if you insist on upgrading it but not something I personally recommend.  The AP 7000 is also an old machine but they were built to last.  You can even replace the door and make it look almost brand new.  It's expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new machine.  But for someone starting out, used machines are ideal or even refurbished from a reputable distributor.

So what bill acceptor did the machine come with or what can I upgrade to without changing any other components? As I said, the current one does not fit right without modification in addition to what looks like a bad IR board.

The maka is 117v. I think MEI makes a validator that “should” work but it needs an adapter cable.

however I tried one on one of my machines. As well as every switch configuration possible. And could not get it to work. Maka is no more plus my machine was pretty old. So I upgraded and scrapped.

https://www.vend-resource.com/sites/default/files/mei-Compatibility-Vending-Machine-Reference_2011.xls

1 hour ago, tblake05 said:

The maka is 117v. I think MEI makes a validator that “should” work but it needs an adapter cable.

however I tried one on one of my machines. As well as every switch configuration possible. And could not get it to work. Maka is no more plus my machine was pretty old. So I upgraded and scrapped.

https://www.vend-resource.com/sites/default/files/mei-Compatibility-Vending-Machine-Reference_2011.xls

It's a VFM, not Maka.  The VFM is better than the Maka but just as obsolete.

Since the VFM is 117v, a mars 2511 or 2501 (with snack mask) is what you need, plus a mars 110v harness.

The reason why the VFM doesn't fit is because the 3015 was never designed with a full cutout, so no modern bill acceptor will fit without modification.  The brackets are adjustable and, with patience, you should be able to line a 2511/2501 up to mount.

This is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of old USI machines such as the 3014 and 3015.  The same is true for other old models too but many other models were so popular that you can retrofit them with a lot of new stuff.  I think everyone abandoned the 301x series.  And they aren't bad machines, just obsolete.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VendiGuy said:

So what bill acceptor did the machine come with or what can I upgrade to without changing any other components? As I said, the current one does not fit right without modification in addition to what looks like a bad IR board.

I think they originally were designed for MAKA bil acceptors but those are old, obsolete, garbage.  The 3015 is 30'ish years old.

34 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

It's a VFM, not Maka.  The VFM is better than the Maka but just as obsolete.

Since the VFM is 117v, a mars 2511 or 2501 (with snack mask) is what you need, plus a mars 110v harness.

The reason why the VFM doesn't fit is because the 3015 was never designed with a full cutout, so no modern bill acceptor will fit without modification.  The brackets are adjustable and, with patience, you should be able to line a 2511/2501 up to mount.

This is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of old USI machines such as the 3014 and 3015.  The same is true for other old models too but many other models were so popular that you can retrofit them with a lot of new stuff.  I think everyone abandoned the 301x series.  And they aren't bad machines, just obsolete.

Thank you once again. I can't find any info on a 2511 vs. 2501. Am I limited to only using the $1 machines or will a $1 & $5 machine work?

I also had to google Mars Snack Mask and got what you see below =/ 

I was a bit too trigger-happy on getting something before learning I should have looked for a newer machine however I would still like to try to get this fixed and placed to learn more before making bigger mistakes.

ur,mask_flatlay_front,product,600x600.jpg

Edited by VendiGuy

This is a 2501. it has a snack mask.  a 2511 I believe has a bottler mask by default.  If you google mei 2501 and 2511, you'll see one mask (ie. bezel) is "lower" than the other.  You want the one that is "lower" because it's made for snack machines.  Don't get it confused because, in today's world, having a "snack mask" doesn't really matter in newer machines.  But in older machines, and in older retrofitted brackets, they were designed for snack masks.

Let me know if the image shows up.  Otherwise, just google mei 2501/2511 and see the differences.  

s-l500.jpg

You can accept $5's as long as the validator allows for it.  Some older MEI/Mars don't allow for new 2008 $5 bills and some do.  You have to read when you buy one to see if it's "2008 $5 ready" or something along those lines.  You should be able to get your hands on a decent validator for $150-$175 with the harness.  Just post a link or something and we can tell you if it's waht you need.

I have upgraded a 3015 with an inone control board. I am getting rid of all of my USI 301× only a few left. Even after the upgraded APs that are upgraded look a lot better. You need to really know what you are doing get a mdb validator in the small hole. Overall good machine it's just getting old and not worth an upgrade.

15 hours ago, AngryChris said:

You can accept $5's as long as the validator allows for it.  Some older MEI/Mars don't allow for new 2008 $5 bills and some do.  You have to read when you buy one to see if it's "2008 $5 ready" or something along those lines.  You should be able to get your hands on a decent validator for $150-$175 with the harness.  Just post a link or something and we can tell you if it's waht you need.

This looks to be a 2501 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/332568423349?hash=item4d6e9f6bb5:g:Kv4AAOSw9V1agw08).

This looks to be the 110V harness (https://www.ebay.com/itm/181035751889?hash=item2a269259d1:g:4LoAAOxy04NRFr8u).

Is there a Facebook Group members use where all this may have been searchable?

Those are both correct.  You may want to check to see if you can find one with $5 acceptance just in case.  You also need to set the dip switches when you get them but I forget the settings.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:16 PM, AngryChris said:

Those are both correct.  You may want to check to see if you can find one with $5 acceptance just in case.  You also need to set the dip switches when you get them but I forget the settings.

1. I got the 2501 in however the machine's display board sits in the way of mounding it flush as well as this metal bar that secures the bill acceptor from moving upwards. If anyone has some info on how this should be mounted I appreciate it.

2. It looks like there is no way the stock data harness is going to reach which makes me need to share the mounting hardware as I have to ask what accessories are needed to install the 2501 into the machine.

3. Holding it in my hand, the 2501 red light blinks twice (the chart says that's because it's not connected to the machine) so I am guessing I have the dip switches wrong. 

4. Is there a trick to finding older posts on the forum? I have seen the 3015 everywhere so there must be some people asking about them aside from the handful of forum posts here.  

. Bonus points for photos!

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

Edited by VendiGuy
Add more info

8 hours ago, VendiGuy said:

1. I got the 2501 in however the machine's display board sits in the way of mounding it flush as well as this metal bar that secures the bill acceptor from moving upwards. If anyone has some info on how this should be mounted I appreciate it.

2. It looks like there is no way the stock data harness is going to reach which makes me need to share the mounting hardware as I have to ask what accessories are needed to install the 2501 into the machine.

3. Holding it in my hand, the 2501 red light blinks twice (the chart says that's because it's not connected to the machine) so I am guessing I have the dip switches wrong. 

4. Is there a trick to finding older posts on the forum? I have seen the 3015 everywhere so there must be some people asking about them aside from the handful of forum posts here.  

. Bonus points for photos!

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

I have never had trouble making the harness reach so I don't know why you're having that problem.  Unless you have a 3015A which might have the board on the side of the sliding door rather than the front of it.  Even so, I believe the harness should still reach unless you have it routed some weird way.

For a 3015, the MEI manual says credit line, so you have to adjust the validator for that.  I don't know what those are off the top of my head but the settings are 7 and 8.  What I always did was try each configuration to see what worked.  The validator should show you what settings are for credit line though.  You definitely want to connect everything and make sure the dip switches are correct and test the validator before you mount it.  It makes it much less frustrating than mounting/unmounting each time to adjust.  You also want to keep 1, 2, and 4 ON.

The bottom bracket mounts on the display where the screw holes are.  The top bracket goes on the slide-out panel.  You put screws through the front of the panel to secure it in place but don't tighten them.  You want it to be able to move a bit for adjustment.  Then, with the bottom bracket already mounted to the display holes in the picture, use 2 more screws to mount the bottom of the validator.  The screws can be tightened later but they are really there for the validator to rest on first.  Once you have the validator mounted on the lower bracket, adjust the top bracket by moving it so that one of the holes lines up with the top of the validator.  Then put a screw in there and tighten it down snug.  Now you can tighten the lower screws too.

I do have a 3015A however the board is located on the front part of the door just beneath the display. The harness does not reach for sure. Is there a name for the connector? Hopefully, I can just pick up an extension harness.

Thank you for the info on the switch settings, I am now accepting bills. 😃

Mounting it still leaves the bar with the red arrow in the way from the acceptor being able to sit flush against the front of the machine. What you say about how it mounts is what I expected given how the old one came off however that one did not mount flush either so seeing a photo would really help me here.

Chris has done a lot to help me on this, is there any other forum members who can take the time to post a photo of how they have their bill acceptor mounted in a 3015?

Edited by VendiGuy

You may have a plastic plate sitting in there.  Those plastic plates are meant for specific validators and it's not necessary to have it there but it's necessary to remove it if it's the wrong one.  If you can pop it out just by pushing on it (from the outside) then just toss it.

3 hours ago, VendiGuy said:

for anyone with similar issues.. The Mask had to be modified to fit the machine and I spliced the cables to reach it.

That's weird.  I have done this on maybe over a dozen 301x machines and never had these problems