DEX Wiring Pinout

marzban

Hello All,

I just picked up an AP122 which should have dex and just requires a harness. I found the harness for about $30. Instead of spending that money and waiting for shipping I was hoping to make my own harness since it is just 3 pins. I know the pinout on the board side, but I am not having any luck finding the pinout for the jack side. I find this funny because DEX is a standard yet I can't find the pinout. I know there is a transmit, receive, and ground. 

Does anyone know what the tip, sleeve, and ring should be connected to? 

Thanks

TRS_Pinout.jpg

After a little more digging, I found the answer in a microcontroller forum. If you are like me and interested in the nitty gritty details you can read about it:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/dex-interface-vending-machine-how-does-vending-machine-device-vmd-detect

TL;DR 

Tip: Transmit data from device

Ring: Receive data to device

Sleeve: Signal ground

5 minutes ago, marzban said:

After a little more digging, I found the answer in a microcontroller forum. If you are like me and interested in the nitty gritty details you can read about it:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/dex-interface-vending-machine-how-does-vending-machine-device-vmd-detect

TL;DR 

Tip: Transmit data from device

Ring: Receive data to device

Sleeve: Signal ground

That's way too technical for 95% of us here.

7 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

That's way too technical for 95% of us here.

Well, I'm an engineer, we tend to overcomplicate things 😜. And now this information is on the internet if another nerd like me comes along looking for this information. 

1 minute ago, AZVendor said:

No one is interested in the nitty gritty of it because you can just buy a harness and use it.

In my case, I have the spare parts to make a harness in a few minutes instead of spending $30 and waiting for shipping. I can buy a lot of vending snacks for $30 LOL