Comfortable office chair?

AngryChris

Can anyone recommend some good ones?  At 6'1 220~ lbs, I don't really feel like i'm that big but I have had bad luck wearing out every office chair I get within 6 months, particularly in the seat cushion.  My resolve has always been to use an aftermarket seat cushion.  However, usually within 2 years, my chairs break in various places such as the legs, the hydrolic cylinder, arm rest, etc...  I have only paid maybe $100-$130 for office chairs in the past because I am SO afraid to spend a lot of money on a chair with the same issues.  At the office at my building, I have an old 70's office chair that was clearly built to last decades and has been used for decades!!  Yeah, I know, they don't seem to make 'em like they used to, but I also know that you actually can get good office chairs even today.. the problem is, checking a place like amazon reveals way too many options and not everyone has the same issues as me, and going to the store doesn't tell me long-term durability... only short-term comfort.  Can anyone recommend some GOOD chairs?  I don't mind spending a few hundred on a GOOD chair.  Sure, I would love a $2,000+ chair but that's out of my budget!  I'm looking for something under $500.  Thanks for all input.

5 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Can anyone recommend some good ones?  At 6'1 220~ lbs, I don't really feel like i'm that big but I have had bad luck wearing out every office chair I get within 6 months, particularly in the seat cushion.  My resolve has always been to use an aftermarket seat cushion.  However, usually within 2 years, my chairs break in various places such as the legs, the hydrolic cylinder, arm rest, etc...  I have only paid maybe $100-$130 for office chairs in the past because I am SO afraid to spend a lot of money on a chair with the same issues.  At the office at my building, I have an old 70's office chair that was clearly built to last decades and has been used for decades!!  Yeah, I know, they don't seem to make 'em like they used to, but I also know that you actually can get good office chairs even today.. the problem is, checking a place like amazon reveals way too many options and not everyone has the same issues as me, and going to the store doesn't tell me long-term durability... only short-term comfort.  Can anyone recommend some GOOD chairs?  I don't mind spending a few hundred on a GOOD chair.  Sure, I would love a $2,000+ chair but that's out of my budget!  I'm looking for something under $500.  Thanks for all input.

I feel your pain Chris. I have gone through 3 chairs in the last 6 years and it seems like the quality continues to decline. The last one I bought from Sam's Club (and currently using) is a Serta Office Chair, Supports up to 250lbs. Assorted Colors Item # 980130011. I bought it last December (2021) and paid $99.98. It still seems to be fine structurally and it is comfortable but I really doubt that I will get more than 2-3 years out of it. I just figured for that price I would give it a try. I keep telling myself that next time I will spend 300 to 500 hundred for a gaming chair or a big man's chair but like you I worry that I'll spend a bunch on a chair and it will fail just like all the others.

• Like 1