Re-Thinking My Bulk Route Plan

T BIRD

I have been thinking about my plan to create a bulk route for myself using A&A machines and 1 and 2 head machines w/ stands vending traditional candy. I am feeling more and more doubtful that a route can be set up that will make me enough money on a monthly basis.  The reason is where I live.  I am in Nassau County on Long Island.  I have two major vending companies right on top of me ( Folz and Vendstar).I have been asking and looking around my area and the 8 or 9 zip codes surrounding Long Beach ( where I live ). And I have talked with the locator I am going to use also.  He is from this area and knows it very well. Nassau County is literally saturated with bulk machines mostly from those two companies who have been in business a long time. I have gotten advice that perhaps I would need to set up these machines and offer a commission to acquire decent locations which I understand to be a good idea.  But there is one thing that sticks out in my mind that a friend in the business told me. This guy as I have said before on these boards has become a millionaire plus vending amusement games in NYC the past 15 years. He said " john you need to find your own niche around here ( meaning NYC area and suburbs.)  You need to find something that is different if you can that no one is doing".

I have looked at a few options with that advice.  Mostly bus/ops offering new unvended items like high energy tabs in capsules ( VendMax ) etc.  Obviously, the price to get into this is ridiculously high.

I am really beginning to feel like I should only concentrate on working with SuperPro here where I live and push the Dentyne Peppermint Sugarless Gum machines. And also, Superpro will be releasing a Certs ( w/ sugar ) machine by December '07!  Now there are none of these two items and machines here. I have asked and have been told that a few players have inquired thus far. So........this is a wide open situation for me I am thinking. Locating in dentist offices, break rooms, bars and nite clubs, fitness centers etc. to name a few types of locations.  I can see my self initially setting up 25 of these and seeing how it goes over 2-3 months and then bingo.......go for the gusto and place 200 of these and work it.

I am open for feedback and comments.    

T Bird:

At the same time you are trying your 25, somewhere else in the NY metro area, someone else will be doing the same thing. This is a business with a low barrier of entry (i.e. easy to get into) So anything that is successfull will attract competition. This is not to say that you don't have the right idea, it sounds pretty good. But you will always have to deal with competition in this business.

Regards,

Philo

Something to consider when you go up against a giant like Coinstar (Folz).  They won't mess around with mom and pop accounts that won't produce what they consider to be "large volume" chains.  If it's not national or at least regional, it's a liability.

Find the mom and pop stores they won't touch and take care of them like you own them.

A few years ago, when Coinstar swallowed up the Amusement Factory-Folz-Sugarloaf they started having me pull the mom and pops.  Some of which had been in my territory for the better part of two decades.

Here's a tid bit that I've grabbed onto:  Folz/Sugarloaf has lost Walmart in at least Michigan.  I have it from good source that coinstar is starting to sell off equipment ON SITE (and therefor the locations) on some of their "slower producing" accounts.

Bulk for Coinstar just isn't working.  They bought the bulk business to get in the door of the big box grocers and discount stores (didn't work in the case of Walmart).  You'll find them leaving it. 

I"m waiting patiently for this...

Well........I am gonna buy three Dentyne gum machines and three Superpro triple vend machines tomorrow. I changed up ( again ) in terms of my plans. Gonna get them, play with them, get used to them, and have them located.  I am pumped!  I found a locator with a great guarantee who is very comfortable locating triples and the Dentyne machine and not so much with the 2 hear or single machines. So this is the way I am gonna get into the field.

have you given any thought to going with 3col sticker/tatt machines?  Or maybe going into the rack business with cap toys.  3 col sticker/tatt machines can stand alone and can bring in some nice change at the end of the month.  Go for the locations that the big boys are not interested in.  With the sticker/tatt machines, you can also vend sports cards.

Tee

Tee.......I have not thought of 3 column tatt-sticker- or cap/toy machines. You are suggesting that as an option because of the area where I live?

For now, I'm ordering a few Dentyne machines and SuperPro machines. 

have you given any thought to going with 3col sticker/tatt machines?  Or maybe going into the rack business with cap toys.  3 col sticker/tatt machines can stand alone and can bring in some nice change at the end of the month.  Go for the locations that the big boys are not interested in.  With the sticker/tatt machines, you can also vend sports cards.

Tee

Tee,

When you use the rack in your picture, what size is it to accomodate the 3col, 2" cap, with the bottom 3 machines?

It's from A&A. Item # AA24

dperry wrote: [/b]

Tee

Tee,

When you use the rack in your picture, what size is it to accomodate the 3col, 2" cap, with the bottom 3 machines?

Yes I am.  After being on LI this past May, I noticed lots of vendstars and candy machines all over the place.  I did not see sticker/tatt machines though.  Try getting some of them placed where all those vendstars are.  You will be offereing a very different product then candy.  STickers and Tatts are purchased by both kids and adults.

Tee

The rack in the photo is an A&A 24.  It can be expanded if need be by purchasing wings for either of the sides adding two more machines.  The rack costs $66.75, the shipping from Baltimore to Kansas was about $20.00.  I also add the casters, they run about $13.00

Tee

I spoke to my locator today.  She will have 10 locations ready for me to bring machines to on Monday November 19th. ( 8 dentyne, 1 NW double w/ cash and dash, and 1 Superpro ).

Hi T,

Thanks for the welcome earlier.  I did not know NW made there machines in that type of blue.  With the new DI wheel coming out soon, I am getting ideas.  My area is also drowning in candy machines, so keep us posted on how well your DI machines do in your area. NW is a better quality machine and that wheel will go perfect in the machine you have posted.  Good Luck.

Tee

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2 head A&A Elite w/ silver vein stand and a single w/ a silver vein stand.  They both have the coin box which is removed very easily. I want to see how they compare with The 2 head NWSuper 60 I bought and placed. Right off the top, I saved money with the A&A to the tune of over $20 per head!!  NW comes down to $60 per if I buy 100 or more!  If I do not buy that many, the price can go all the way to $79 per which is ridiculous, I dont care who makes the freakin machine.  

Hi,

That sounds like a good looking machine.  Post a photo when you get  a chance.  I would never buy a NW60 new.  It is just too much $$$$ for beginners like me with a budget.  I bought four NW60 off ebay and after a year they are still working great, but I got lucky.  I think for the budget concerned AA makes a great quality machine.  I have 10 PO89's in black.  However, if you are looking to save a little money sams club sells NW60's online.

Tee