Competitor pretends to be VP and then calls to remove MY MACHINE!

Jax Snacks

Got a phone call at a new location from a VP of sales ("Fred") and upon an inspection, it was determined that my machine should be removed since there were already 2 machines AND the products offered were similar.  My caller ID did have a phone number, but when I call it, all I ever got was a carrier signal.  I was suspicious and went to the location.  I talked with the GM and he told me there was no inspection and there was no "Fred" he knew of.  He even called HR and confirmed that that person did not exist.  I played the message for him on my cell phone and then he called the service number on the other machine and low and behold the voices matched!  The GM told me the other guy was in about 10 days ago (similar time to my phone message).  I know I am going to kick this guys butt since my machine vends a fair quantity and his vends only 6 Skittles and 2 MM Peanuts and 4 Mike and Ikes.

The question is how should I retaliate?  I am still a bit ticked off but no longer angry.  Should I just be happy that my machine will most likely outsell his and he will eventually go bankrupt there?  Should I call his service line and pretend to be the same phony VP so that he knows that he did not fool me?  Should I put an "Out of Order" sign on his machine?  I really would like to throw his crappy vendstar in a ditch but I guess that would be uncivilized!  Some people are real low lifes!  Bottom line - always verify your eviction messages.  This vendor is very fortunate that this GM is very laid back and did not boot him.  This is also the second time this has happend to me.

Jax

If he bought those vendstars new, hasn't he suffered enough?

I'd verify on kick out messages, but I get the actual manager doing the kick out with a false reason. (Usually it's an imaginary partner who makes the decision and requires it to be carried out)

I can see why he would not want you vending the same items.

This may be borderline psycho, but would seem fun in my book. If he has a routine day that he goes in on, be waiting that day when he goes in, and then follow him to his other locations for the day. Record 10-15 of them, and give a pitch to get into the location. At each location match his items with larger vends. If you don't feel too stalker-ish about it, it would certainly be a funny way to let him know he had been completely outclassed.

Go to Lowe's and see if they have a multi pack of different sized washers. IF not try to find some as big or slightly bigger then a quarter. Use those to either empty his machine, or break/jam his mechs.

O-Town is getting vicious/flooded. Someone slammed one of my local hang outs. The manager I talked to had no idea who's it is or who approved it. And it's cutting into their candy sales. I told him about the slammin practice, and if it turns out no one approved it I would be happy to remove it for him. Finders Keepers.

That happened to me Jax at a Lowes.  A guy who owns a 2 head Beaver there called me and said he just wanted to give me a head's up that Lowe's inspectors would be coming around and remove my machine since only one is allowed and his was there first.  I told him that I was not going anywhere.  I am still there and so is he.  I did not do anything to him or his machine.  I average a little over $50 per month there....... B)

I would be fuming if this happened to me.  The best way to "kill" him is slowly.  Keep an eye on your machine to make sure he doesn't try anything even lower than he has already.  As you say, in time he will go bankrupt.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I would not retaliate. Not only does it show you are a classier vendor but also gives your business a good reputation. By outselling him, he will eventually give up and move on.

I had two locations where other vendors moved in. I'm still there and and they are long gone because I outsold them. You have to learn to overcome obsticals in this industry. If you learn to adapt to certain circumstances, you'll go a long way. There's a learning curve every day.

• Like 1

I am glad you posted this topic.  A couple months ago I got a call from a pizza joint that had my triple (located by Midwest) and another triple which was there before mine.  I got a call saying they were from the Pizza place and decided they did not want one two machines in there.  At the time, I did not question it and just grabbed it out of there.  It occurred to me later on that maybe it was just the other vender upset about the competition.  Bottom line is I never really looked into it and maybe it wasn't even true.  (I was only getting around $15 per month out of the machine per month anyway.)  Nevertheless, this thread confirms to me that it does happen and will make me more wise going forward. 

Thanks!

I have found that for the locations that i don't know well, will never call me for anything, no matter what the issue is.  Sure, I do get calls from some location owners about my machines... "Sorry, but one of my customers was drunk and she knocked over your machine and now the glass is broken" (this was a tattoo place. I have a good relationship with the owner and he knows who I am as opposed to some other slammer).  Or I might get: "We are closing and you need to come get your machine before we are closed for good".  Those kinds of calls are easy to validate, you go and you see that they have cleared out all the furniture, and you know that they really are closing. 

But I have never ever ever (did I say ever?) gotten a call from an owner saying "We have too many machines so come take yours out".  That is pretty much a give-a-way that it's not on the up-and-up.

Still got the voicemail? Report him to the better business buero(or however you spell it) let them stalk him for you! Im not sure how they work but im sure with the evidence on your phone and the managers story that they would "look" into it.

I would give that mother f 'er hell.  Get the address/ phone # from his machine.  Call him and let him know that you are a reputable business man, you do this for a living, and know about his pathetic antics.  Tell him it will be a long slow death for his machine if he keeps it there, and all the other locations you see his equipment!  Put the fear of God in him. Let him know the "authorities" have been notified and presented with his recorded message and that he is currently under "investigation" for his illegal misrepresentation of another person (stolen identity).  He'll be scared sh*tless and will never do it again!!

I would keep your vend size up above his and maybe use the T Bird "Bigger Handfull" sign angle. You might try the tax stamp angle as an alternative unless you might get caught up in it.

Jax:

Take the high road; let the punk know you are aware of his stupidity and little games.  I would leave it at that unless he does it again; then threaten him :angry: Too many wackos out there and our machines are too vulnerable to the mental lunatics who dream this stuff up. I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago; when I finally talked to the ahole he offered to buy me out. I told him to grow up and I would NEVER abandon the location. Beat me fair and square on the playing field. He is still there and copies everything I do and puts big signs on his machine and sometimes moves my machine. He just makes himself look more and more stupid. Even the employees have noticed. I called him again and told him to not touch my property. I just don't have time. At some point I'll turn him in but not sure to who. Location does $30-$40/mo like a champ.

Jim

I think the other machine owner is innocent. I bet someone else just hates him, and pretended to be him. So that you would mess up his machine to get back at him. Colonel Sanders, in the kitchen, with a candle stick.

I had encroachment on one location, because when the guy called the manager thought it was me asking if it was ok to put another machine in! But if he messes up my machines, I'll be pissed.

That's pretty low.  I wouldn't mess with his machine but I would call the number and ask to speak to "Fred the VP" and ask him why the his # is on the back of the other machine in the store.  After he realizes that you know what he did, give him your two cents. 

I agree with the high road. Put up the bigger hand fulls and wait for him to pull it.

The guy I bought my route from warned me about another vendor in town. Every time they both had machine in the same location, his would get stolen. Not the other guys always his.

get one of the generic vendstar top keys, throw a dead mouse or something similar in his candy, and the restaurant will throw him out themselves that same day!

THIS is not a good idea.you risk the closeing of the restraurant itself besides that it is disgusting too.start with leaving a note maybe?

Lowlife competitors like this just complain as their numbers go down and eventually get kicked out.  I have come in after other vendors many times in only 2 years or so and I very often outlast the other vendor and he ends up leaving machines empty or getting kicked out, etc.

Bottom line is to hang in there, dont retaliate since you are the better vendor and wait to laugh inside when he is out of business, then call him and offer to buy his machines for $5 a head, and if he says no spill a case of cracked gumballs in front of his house and run away!  LOL

Wow guys, thanks for the array of suggestions!  Surprised that no one mentioned any bug or ant attacks since Florida id the bug capital of the world!  :D  I decided to just wait and see with this guy since I have too many other issues to deal with right now.  If I suspect tampering or get another call, then I will try to get the GM to remove him and then give him a courtesy call from "Fred".  The last vendor that pulled this stunt also got kicked out by the GM.

Jax

I would be tempted to sabotage his machine, but I think I would go with the "BIG HANDFUL" sign and outsell the guy. I would keep the phone number handy and offer him $25 for his Vendstar when he decides to stop servicing the machine.

I have been in the vending business over a quarter of a century.  I bet the guy that owns that vendor doesn't even know someone called you.  I have heard of face to face locators that go in pick up the other guys machines put in their machine and just leave.

Then they tell their customer to drop off their new machine. 

So go easy on the new guy but be sure to let him know that the locator he hired needs to be reported.

Bev

Blue Moose

I have been in the vending business over a quarter of a century.  I bet the guy that owns that vendor doesn't even know someone called you.  I have heard of face to face locators that go in pick up the other guys machines put in their machine and just leave.

Then they tell their customer to drop off their new machine. 

So go easy on the new guy but be sure to let him know that the locator he hired needs to be reported.

Bev

Blue Moose

I was thinking that it would be so bad, if this guy wasn't the one calling. If it had been a prank caller, or maybe some evil genius, jealous stalker, just trying to get 2 vendors to fight and wreck each others machines. But this makes more sense and leads to the same conclusion, poor guy getting his machine picked on for no known reason.

I know that scenario can also happen with locators.  But in this case the voice of the pretend VP matched the voice of the vendor's service line recording from the number taken off his machine.  The call also coinsided with the vendor's physical service date.  So in this case it was the vendor who pulled this stunt.

Jax