9 select mechanical snack machine - good deal?

dperry

I have an opportunity to purchase 3 9-selection mechanical table-top snack machines for $250 total.  Is this a good deal?  I'm only doing bulk right now and I have no idea of the valuation of snack machines.  I have a few bulk accounts who have expressed interest in having snack machines and they asked me about it before going to somebody else.  I've though about expanding into snacks and was thinking this would be a good opportunity for me.

Here's a pic of one of the machines.

If you are saying you can get all 9 for $250, its not bad.  These can make around $25 a week.  Be sure they are clean, all of the dials are working, you get the parts necessary to change the pricing etc.  If you have the contacts to find locations without paying a locator, you will make your money back plus some.  If you have to pay a locator fee it really cuts into the profits.  Also keep your stock the same as much as possible.

On these units you will want to keep your pricing to just quarter amounts.  Don't try to do .35 or .45 which requires customers to have all of that change with them.  Normally a .75 and 1.00 works pretty well.  On the list below you will need to be sure everything vends smoothly before offering it, nothing worse then having something stick and they shake the unit.  Then you have a real mess.  I have been know to put these on a small table I provided and I bolted the unit right onto the top of that table.

Here is a list of the current top selling National snacks right now.

Snickers   

Doitos Nacho Cheesier Big Grab                 

M&M Peanut

Cheetos Crunchy  2.125oz Big Grab

Cheez it  1.5oz Original

Twix Bar

Pop Tarts Strawberry

Rice Krispie Treats

Lays Chips  1.5oz

Mrs. Freshleys Jumbo Honey Bun

Skittles

Reese Peanut Butter Cup large 2.25

Cheetos Crunch small bag

Fritos small bag

Fritos Chili Cheese small bag

Reese Peanut Butter Cup regular

M&M Milk Choc

Butterfinger  2.1oz

Fam Amos Choc Chip

Three Musketeers Org

Payday

KC Master Hot & Spicy

Ritz Bits Cheese

Sun Chips

Frito Cheese Crackers

Frito Peanut Butter/Cheese Crackers         

Funyuns

Summer Sausages  O’Brien                       

Bev

Blue Moose Vending Mgt

www.bluemoosevendmgt.com

Hello,

I Have 3 of these placed at smaller locations who I cant justify putting a  $800.00 -1000.00 machine. They work goo but I find that I have to make shure that the chips bags are just so and that they arent to inflated or like the last post said you end up with someone shaking your machine. If you would be interested in a few more I have a few to many in storage and would move them.

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

for tabletop machines is there a good brand to look into? Looking at placing one in a 50 person account to see if they would need a snack machine in the future.

i have a large capacity one i placed in a location where the honor box was running out frequently. they are crap and i got complaints so i replaced it with 2 honor boxes. if yours has a bill changer you may get less complaints than i did.

The one i have the spirals push the snacks backwards. The problem is once its gets past 2 or 3 sold of each selection its hard to see into the machine because its dark so the selections tend to sell only 1-3 of each people dont easily notice its not sold out

All these are junk and not worth fooling with. These things jam up, people break the plastic covers, people break the turn knobs which can cause it to free vend, etc. Just not worth messing with at any price if you ask me.

Like Dogcow said you are better off taking your $250.00 and starting an honor box route. You can buy honor boxes for $5.00 or less each to get you started. IMO honor boxes are the best way for a person to get started in the "vending business" to see if they like it. It is cheap, not as much competition, many locations to place them, etc. If you do honor boxes price things at .75 and 1.00 or do like Dogcow and price everythinb at 1.00 which seems to work well for him.

for tabletop machines is there a good brand to look into? Looking at placing one in a 50 person account to see if they would need a snack machine in the future.

50 people is a good number for a smaller snack but not a counter top. You might look for one on ebay or craigs list. If its an office with 50 look for around 25.00 to 35.00 a week (unless its telemarketing or some other telephone sales) then its a good good account, 50 blue collar will certainly do much much better too. If you are also putting in a drink machine its worth the bet...my 2 cents.

Poplady

First thing I would want to know is why they dont have some sort of vending? Why dont they have at least a drink machine? It is somewhat unusual they dont have something with 50 people......

• 1 month later...

First thing I would want to know is why they dont have some sort of vending? Why dont they have at least a drink machine? It is somewhat unusual they dont have something with 50 people......

they did have a vendor but they abandoned the account and wouldnt place a snack machine and their drink machine was always empty. I decided to pass on that account because it looked as if most of the people went to the cafeteria to eat food in the building. I do have a smaller area about 15 people in the office and the previous vendor is doing about 200+ a month with a combo machine. This is located in a hallway in the airport. Should I just look into a soda and small snack for this type of area?

Archived