Follow My Progress...Fail / Succeed LIVE!!

dsimms

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here are some of my silly opions.

1- Do not fill up your machines to the top. Put about a 1/2 a bag or less in each. You will save alot of spoilage. Check on them after 2 weeks and see if you need to add more. The national avg is $7 per head. That is not alot of candy.

2- Locate yourself - If you have the time and like to talk to people, locate them your self. The 2 biggest cost in bulk vending are the equipment and locators. If you are using a locator, use more than 1 and give them a few at a time. This will allow you to see which ones you like and the type of locations you get.

3- Teach your wife(or someone) who to service your route. You might get sick, need to go out of town.

I'll add some more silly opions latter.

Kevin has been very helpfull and everyone has different Silly Opions. If you do not want to hear them then you should not be on a forum. Cavity, don't speak for me. please.

nice... I will get these out next week, and sit tight, ill keep looking, but next month

I will order 5 1800 at the best price I can find..it really does not make since to

wait 6 months to order just to save $50 when they could be out on location...

for what I am seeing now, someone is selling 1800's at $99 plus $30 s/h

I am not seeing them all over like i do vendstar's, I guess that is a good thing...

i CAN SELL YOU A 1800 MACHINE FOR LESS THEN 129 SHIPPED if you are intrested send me a pm.I have mine for sale at $$105.$75 for the machine and $30 for a box,shipping material and ,most importantly INSURED SHIPPING.

Well guys...

my vendstars come in today..I am very disapointed in the quality of the machines.

they look like they are oversized plastic kids todays...no sir, I will not buy

anymore of these, lesson surely learned at a good expense also.

I also got a request for a soda/snack machine, which I really did not

expect, I am barely getting candy machines out, and now I hear

someone wants a soda/snack machine, I am not sure what I am

going to do...I will go talk to him tomorrow and see exactly

what he is looking for.

locator emailed today and said he would have locations for the candy machines

by tues/wed of next week, so we will see how that goes...I am now highly

concerned that these cheap vendstar may not hold up....

I am curious, does anyone know how much a bag of 56oz candy

will bring from a .25 cent machine?

Thanks

david

RELAX!!!

--Plain M&M's: 12-14 pieces

--Runts: 10-12 pieces

--Skittles: 12-14 pieces

--Reese's Pieces: 12-14 pieces

--Mike & Ike: 6-8 pieces

--Chiclets: 10-12 pieces

--Cashews: 10-12 pieces

--Hot Tamales: 6-8 pieces

--Pistachios: 10-12 pieces

I guess the majority was wrong about those Vendstars.  The majority also likes to vend candy!  Hmmm.... Live and learn.

Jax

too bad I did not learn before I got them...it is what it is...i have to make the best of it,

and get them placed now, and see what happens, and move on...

If I do not have any problems getting them placed next week, then I

may order 5 1800 machines next month...

too bad I did not learn before I got them...it is what it is...i have to make the best of it,

and get them placed now, and see what happens, and move on...

When I first got in this business almost 4 years ago, I found another board like this on Yahoo.  The moderator was not a nice guy to newbies and when I posted that I had used all my capital ($200) and purchased some used crappy plastic Candy King machines, he told me to chuck them in the dumpster and get some real machines.  That irked me to no end and I let it be known that that was what I had and I was going to use that to start my bulk vending business.  I don't have those machines anymore, but I have now grown up and purchased better machines and learned much in the past 4 years.  The cost of education can be expensive in more ways than one.  We learn by our mistakes and mistakes can be expensive.  But the important thing is that we do learn from our mistakes.

It doesn't matter how much info we can feed you here, you are still going to need to make your own mistakes before you learn your own lessons.

For instance, you will find out that you have to rely on yourself to do your own locating.  You ask about whether or not a locator is legit.  But I have to ask why you should care?  You should be your own locator.  If you are like some guys here who talk about rich dad and quadrants, you may want to start paying somebody to locate for you, but they should be people who you have hired and trained yourself based on your own experience and under your own terms.  Inhouse locating vs outsourcing.

And quite honestly, we might all cheer for you at this stage of the game, but for all we know, you might turn out to be one of the flash-in-the-pan newbies that come in, ask alot of the same questions that all the newbies ask, then we never see you again.  It's hard for me to get too attached and involved when for all I know this could be your last post.

Vendors are alot like turtles.  Hundreds start out, but very few make it to a ripe old age.  It's hard to get invested in somebody until we know they are going to be sticking around for awhile.

I have talked to half a dozen businesses over the last couple days...I get the same

response from just about all them...you are going to have to talk to our corp office,

or our management does not allow this, and so on...I would much rather have a legit

locator doing this very difficult work, and finding locations...I have noticed big

and small stores in my area that have no machines at all..."sorry, we are not

interested".... and at todays gas prices...gas is money when people are saying no...

You are right, I may be here today, and I maybe gone tomorrow, right now, I am

seeing my costs climbing, and not one machine placed yet...

-$ 535 machines

-$135  candy

-$190  Locator

Total $-860

I can see why so many people would go out of business before

they really start, this ads up quickly...and it is unlikely that

these six machines when placed will make up the difference

in the near future...

If you want to help, help, if not then dont...

I will either make it, or I wont...If I dont, I have

a lot of candy to eat up... ;)

DPERRY:I read your post twice I liked it so much.respect.

DSIMMS:.take pictures of a machine with candy in it to show the location when locateing.dress apropriately when locateing.practice doing it with a friend to get better at it. most importantly try takeing on an I`m going to make it at all cost attitude instead of "I will either make it, or I wont" when locatieng,and with this business.

next time dont rush into things instead of complaing about your machines and the money you are out because if you think you have something to complain about wait till the machines are out on location for a while.

expect your money back in a year or so if you get 6 average locations.now if you get a gravy location or two expect your money back sooner.

DPERRY:I read your post twice I liked it so much.respect.

DSIMMS:.take pictures of a machine with candy in it to show the location when locateing.dress apropriately when locateing.practice doing it with a friend to get better at it. most importantly try takeing on an I`m going to make it at all cost attitude instead of "I will either make it, or I wont" when locatieng,and with this business.

next time dont rush into things instead of complaing about your machines and the money you are out because if you think you have something to complain about wait till the machines are out on location for a while.

expect your money back in a year or so if you get 6 average locations.now if you get a gravy location or two expect your money back sooner.

not really complaining..i am just stating what it is...

as i said before, it is what it is...I learned from it, and I will move on...of course, I want

to succeed like anyone else that is starting out...but stats and predictions say almost

otherwise...I may golpher about it, but I will also keep moving forward...I will get these

six placed, and I will keep moving forward...and buy better machines, and I will get

them placed...and start the cycle all over again..and hopefully it gets better that

I can bring down the neg debt. I surely want to see a positive balance just like

anyone else that is in business...

but to come here and put me down by saying I am just another fly-by-night gum ball newbie...

that is not supporting your fellow newbie, and that not showing any respect at all....

just aint cool...

but to come here and put me down by saying I am just another fly-by-night gum ball newbie...

that is not supporting your fellow newbie, and that not showing any respect at all....

just aint cool...

I didn't say you were a fly-by-night newbie.  I said that for all we knew, you MIGHT be one.  Whether you are one or not is up to you.

I am seeing my costs climbing, and not one machine placed yet...

-$ 535 machines

-$135  candy

-$190  Locator

Total $-860

David,

I certainly do not want to sound like I am piling on but I have been reading your posts and have the following observation. PLEASE don't take this the wrong way but it appears you are looking for instant gratification. I know many here have told you to read the board and utilize the search feature but it doesn't seem to satisfy you.

If you took a moment to utilize the information available on the board, your costs could have looked more like this before you placed any machines...

-$300 machines

-$0 candy (It was suggested not to buy candy until you had locations)

-$0 locator (It was suggested not to utilize a locator who demands payment upfront)

Total $300

The most important thing is that you realize that you are learning from your mistakes, just as we all did. Just please be thankful that you have a community here willing to extend a helping hand.

David,

I certainly do not want to sound like I am piling on but I have been reading your posts and have the following observation. PLEASE don't take this the wrong way but it appears you are looking for instant gratification. I know many here have told you to read the board and utilize the search feature but it doesn't seem to satisfy you.

If you took a moment to utilize the information available on the board, your costs could have looked more like this before you placed any machines...

-$300 machines

-$0 candy (It was suggested not to buy candy until you had locations)

-$0 locator (It was suggested not to utilize a locator who demands payment upfront)

Total $300

The most important thing is that you realize that you are learning from your mistakes, just as we all did. Just please be thankful that you have a community here willing to extend a helping hand.

I have read the forum enough now not to expect instant gratification...that I know of...you are right, I could have saved a bit on machines, but that is my mistake, so lets move on from that point...its a dead issue now...as far as buying candy now or later is fairly mute point, I really did not buy that much, I could have bought a lot more but I am glad that I did not, weather or not if it got it now or later does not matter much as the expense would still be there, I bought now so I could be prepared, instead of waiting to the last second then have to rush out and rush to get things done, and as far as the locator is concerned, i have not paid anything, but I know it is coming, I will pay him 50% when he contacts me to say he has found locations, and I will pay the rest once I get the machines placed...the machines are almost assembled, and hopefuly, i can get them palced this week as he said, and if not, then of course, shame on me again for trusting in someone to say what they say they can do...

David

I was just like you....had big hopes and thought about all the neat things I had planned on doing with my business. Once you get the machines placed, you will learn from your own mistakes. We can tell you the basic do's and don'ts but I will tell you that there's going to be things you learn along the way by yourself. In that respect, you can pass it along to us and we can learn also. This is what's so great about Vendiscuss. Unlike the rest of the vending forums out there, you'll find the majority of us get along with each other and are more than happy to pass on our experiences. It's not a deep dark secret like a few think.

Keep the attitude that you will give it your best shot and try to make it work. Look on the bright side, you started a business for under $1000. You can probably get half of that back if it doesnt turn out for you. What other business can you take a chance on like that?

I'm in this business going on two years now and built myself a nifty little nest egg. I expanded at my own pace and maybe one day when I retire, I'll be able to expand even further. I started with 10 machines and slowly but surly built a 57 machine route. I made my ROI in the first three months because of the great deal I was able to land. I kept on expanding with the same amount that I started with, never exceeding my goal limit.

Hang in there and slow down. I had alot of energy when I first started but it wears off in time and that's when you can get a bigger picture of how to operate your business more efficiently. Sit down and write yourself a business plan if you haven't already done so. I'm not talking about a 15 pager, just one page with all your goals for the first year will do fine. Don't set your stadards high but rather something that is obtainable. That's what I did and was shocked at how much I exceeded my goals. This gives you the insentive to keep going.

Good luck in your venture and hang in there. You'll do just fine.  ;)

Eager I am...patience I do not have, but I have no choice, and that is ok...it

will allow me to see what is going on when these machines are placed...If I do

not have any problems with placement, then I would like to add about 5

machines per month...so I will keep my eye on ebay for 1800 and see

if a good deal comes up...

right now, it is a wait and see game, and a numbers game.

all i can do is keep moving forward and see how it turns out...

hopefully for the best...

You may want to check into this ad if it is close to you. I wouldn't suggest this if not for the fact they vend gumballs. If they look good and work good offer $150.00 for all 4 machines. I wouldnt give much more unless they were really nice.By the way gumballs give you the highest return. Good luck.

He is not more then a 15-20 min drive. they are gum machines, but they can dispense candy also.

I wish he would have put up an actual picture rather then a picture of a new machine, and he

did say they were all used...when he responds to my questions..i may offer him $150, and

I would have to see them first...it could also be a deception, put up a nice picture, and

they be junk looking machines...

I'm always a little suspicious when people use a stock photo verses an actual.  Look before you make an offer. 

absolutely...its sort of a turn off now...i do not want to waste time going to look at

them, and they turn out to be junk...but you never know...he sure did not offer

much details when I asked about them..he just said come and look...