Follow My Progress...Fail / Succeed LIVE!!

dsimms

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Canister-Candy-Machine-1800-vending_W0QQitemZ140336388227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Vending?hash=item20acb35883&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Not a GREAT deal but a nice place to get a number of machines.  He has 21 left and will accept $85/each if you offer it--maybe lower.  Shipping is $29.50 for the first one and $25 for each after that.  I am expecting mine on Wednesday and will let you know if they are in good condition.  The "going rate" for 1800's I've found in my 2-3 weeks of searching is about $130-140 including shipping.  My average from the above deal was $110 each.

Just noticed you're from MN too, maybe we'll cross paths someday (hopefully not  ;) j/k).  Did you find out about that soda/snack machine?  Was it a locator lead?  If you don't want it, can you PM me the details?  I'm looking to get into full-line vending in addition to bulk.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Canister-Candy-Machine-1800-vending_W0QQitemZ140336388227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Vending?hash=item20acb35883&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Not a GREAT deal but a nice place to get a number of machines.  He has 21 left and will accept $85/each if you offer it--maybe lower.  Shipping is $29.50 for the first one and $25 for each after that.  I am expecting mine on Wednesday and will let you know if they are in good condition.  The "going rate" for 1800's I've found in my 2-3 weeks of searching is about $130-140 including shipping.  My average from the above deal was $110 each.

Just noticed you're from MN too, maybe we'll cross paths someday (hopefully not  ;) j/k).  Did you find out about that soda/snack machine?  Was it a locator lead?  If you don't want it, can you PM me the details?  I'm looking to get into full-line vending in addition to bulk.

yes, I have been watching that for a few days now...but not really interested in paying $100+ for a machine

that just is not in production anymore...as for the soda/snack lead, he will not be in until next week, but

I do not think I will take it if it is legit, I am not ready for the soda/snack world just yet, and soda/snack machines

are not cheap either...no, this one was not a locator lead, it acutally come from my website, this is why I am wondering

if the lead is really legit or not.

yes by all means let me know how your machine turns out...

Whatever you do dsi, look for machines you can vend gumballs in and place them in restaraunts. You will do good...trust me on this one.

that is one reason I am looking at the 1800..I do not think the vendstar can not dispense gumballs unless i

I convert it over...on the the 1800, I may use two candies, and one 1" gumball. Is there any

particular gumball that is popular??

I am sorta looking at the Dubble Bubble Assorted Gumballs.. 1080count @ $35.00

Hey Simms,

Any word from the locater as of yet?  You should try placing one of your machines on your own...

I talked to the locator today. He told me to expect my locations tomorrow (tuesday)

so I am waiting for tomorrow, and hope that he does work out ok. He did tell me

that I do have a 4 month kickout & poor performance gurantee. I have talked to him

a few times already, he sounds fairly confidence that he can get me placed when

I need to be placed...so I will post again tomorrow when I hear something for sure.

I do not go out of my way, but when I am at a location, I do ask if it would be ok

to place a machine...all I get is "NO" - you pretty much have to be a good

salesman at doing this locating on your own, as long as this location service

does their job, then I have no problem on paying...

I pay 50% upfront once he tells me he has my locations,

once I place the machines, then I will pay him the blance.

keep in mind for the average person they will do about 10 no's before they hear a yes. So if you just keep asking you will eventually hear a yes and will be hooked. Read up on some charity vending approaches that are here on the site for great ways to pitch for placing a machine. You will see a huge value in self locating once you start getting a bunch of machines out on the street and you see first hand what locating fees do to the bottom line. I really did not see the value in self locating when I first started and had around 50 locations secured by a locating company, once I branched off into Full Line locating became a huge part to my daily routine because full line fees will run about 300$ per machine per location.

keep in mind for the average person they will do about 10 no's before they hear a yes. So if you just keep asking you will eventually hear a yes and will be hooked. Read up on some charity vending approaches that are here on the site for great ways to pitch for placing a machine. You will see a huge value in self locating once you start getting a bunch of machines out on the street and you see first hand what locating fees do to the bottom line. I really did not see the value in self locating when I first started and had around 50 locations secured by a locating company, once I branched off into Full Line locating became a huge part to my daily routine because full line fees will run about 300$ per machine per location.

I have a full time job, I do not need another one by doing self locating...I am just not interested

on finding locations myself. I know I will take a hit up front on the location service, no doubt...now

I am focusing on cheap or cheaper machines, and hopefully this will help out, and not to mention

this is just another business expense that I can write off at the end of the year....if you think about

it, if we were all to be self locators, then there would be no location services out there at all...

So if you guys run across very cheap vendstars, or 1800 triples, please let me know.

Well if that's the route you want to take then go for it, just trying to help a rookie with some of the mistakes I made upfront in the business. I at one point said after I found a great locator that I would never self locate again, but things will change once you get some more locations under your belt, ask any successful bulk or full line operator on the forum with 25 or machines out there and you will hear every time that a portion of them were self located.

Well if that's the route you want to take then go for it, just trying to help a rookie with some of the mistakes I made upfront in the business. I at one point said after I found a great locator that I would never self locate again, but things will change once you get some more locations under your belt, ask any successful bulk or full line operator on the forum with 25 or machines out there and you will hear every time that a portion of them were self located.

I do inquire when I am at a business, but at this point, I do not go out of my way...I will say when

I do start getting locations, I will ask if they need any other types of small vending, this will

help make up for placing a triple if i can get something in there they need...lets say I

place a triple, and they may be in need of a small soda/snack machine, and you never know,

I made get in, and they may big enough for 2-3 triples, or a rack...

That's exactly how I got involved in Full Line vending, it all started with a place where I had bulk machines asking me to take care of their Full Line needs.

There is another logical reason why I would want to use a locator, yes it is going to be

an upfront cost, but if i want to grow my business on a reg basis then I will get a locator

so i can get this machines moving, now if i wanted to grow at a super slow pace, then

I would do my own locating, I would much rather keep things flowing letting the locator

do all that work, and if i can get more for my buck by getting other types of

vending in there, then I will do that.

I have to agree with simms on this one.  Although I have not yet worked with a locater, I do plan to do so once my growing capabilites expand.  I guess it's relative to each individual's money value of time.  Locators could actually be a COST-SAVER for many people.  For example, if you earn $20/hour during your day job, your time is worth $20 per hour.  Therefore, if you attempt to locate for 2 hours and come up with nothing, you're essentially out $40. 

I have to agree with simms on this one.  Although I have not yet worked with a locater, I do plan to do so once my growing capabilites expand.  I guess it's relative to each individual's money value of time.  Locators could actually be a COST-SAVER for many people.  For example, if you earn $20/hour during your day job, your time is worth $20 per hour.  Therefore, if you attempt to locate for 2 hours and come up with nothing, you're essentially out $40.  

If you spend a whole day looking, and if you are lucky, and even manage to find a location, you

would have been better off calling the locator, and letting him do all the work, so you could

have spent your time doing something better, and for those that do self locate, and do good

at it, then more power to you, and you surely have my respect putting that amount of work

in this business, and now that I know that I can find vendstars cheap, it does not matter

if it makes $5/mo, or it gets trashed/stolen, etc..as they can be effectively replaced

fairly cheaply in todays market.

depends on how you look at this...

I could have mowed my own grass today...I have a mower, I have gas, I had time, I also

have better things to do, so I hired a location grass mower for $10

It was worth it :)

I'm a strong believer in the "do what you do best, and outsource the rest" philosophy.  I know I'm terrible at sales and marketing so I would rather leave that to the pros.  My strong suits are service and efficiency; I know that once I get an account, I will not lose it due to poor performance on my part.  I also believe you can turn a marginally profitable route into a nicely profitable one through efficiency.

I'm a strong believer in the "do what you do best, and outsource the rest" philosophy.  I know I'm terrible at sales and marketing so I would rather leave that to the pros.  My strong suits are service and efficiency; I know that once I get an account, I will not lose it due to poor performance on my part.  I also believe you can turn a marginally profitable route into a nicely profitable one through efficiency.

You know, it wasnt to long in the past, when people thought I paid too much for my vendstar...well, I

been thinking about that, and I do not think I did overpay, the avg cost for a new vendstar runs

around $100...now if I was located in a hot spot of getting good deals on machines, and I passed

it up, then I would say yes, I overpaid for them, there are no vendstar's in my area selling for

$35-$50 - none, well there is one, one had their 21 machines with 14 placed for about $50/machine.

I really have a problem buying someone elses route that I know nothing about from a person

that I do not know, and it is not like there are super deals in my area like there are others, I have

been looking for almost a week now, and once these six are placed, and I still see no deals, then

I will do it again...the moral of this story is, i had to do what I had to do to get the machines out,

I can not wait six months for a super deal when opportunity is slipping by.

• 6 years later...