Finally got contacted by Coke about 3rd party have a couple questions

spdydre

ok my .02.....been in vending since 1972.....i call what the bottlers do "the hook" ......ya see they been at this a very long time and they know what they are doing.....so you need to ask yourself..."am i in this for the long haul, and want to build something that has a value , or am i looking for a short term quick easy buck"........ when i was in the business as a full line operator, while the growth was very slow buying my own equipment, at least it was a steady growth and i was in total control of what i sold in "my" equipment....not to say i didnt have a few battles over product pricing with the bottlers, but at least i was not leveraged by the fact or threat of them "owning the equipment.....it helped me to control my product cost, satisfy the customer needs, and when i dd sell the full line business i had something to selll.....assets!.....not just accounts that had a bottlers machines in them,that did not belong to me.........yes while the growth was much slower, it was a solid growth....and it is true that occasionally the bottler becomes your competitor for an account..but there service after the sale always is terrible for the end user.......I left full line 6 years ago having sold my company at a decent price....

my .02.........be carful in dealing with the bottler.....they are not your friend....

I talked to Pepsi the other day and they told me you had to have at least 20 locations already that was your own machines and your had to have a commercial location with a loading dock.  You could get 1 machine at a time but there was a 20 case min per machine per month. AND the machine would only be set for 20oz bottles.

So for now that leaves me out of the loop for Pepsi.

• 7 months later...

Mxer

If an account has a pepsi machine, are they allowed to also have coke machine. Are you sure pepsi would allow it? You make it sound easy to get 20 accounts. Thanks

From what I understand with my 3rd party vending reps, it doesn't matter to them, as long as the 3rd party has nothing but coke products and the 3rd part pepsi machine has nothing but pepsi products in it then you are good to go!

However, Pepsi 3rd party vending is a pain to get a machine.  My local pepsi wants me to purchase a minimum of 500 cases before they will even consider giving me a machine.  I went ahead and provided all my information to set up an account over 7 days ago and they still haven't set up an account for me.  If and when I purchase my bottle machine, if they STILL haven't set up my account, I will just start vending 24oz bottles from Sam's.  the 24oz bottles from Sam's comes out to 59.08cents per 24oz bottle, where as Pepsi wants 79cents per 20oz bottle.

Between my parents, my wife and I, Someone is at Sam's at least 3-4times a week. My father drives past the Sam's entrance on his way to and from work.

Ninnjinn got it right Pepsi does not care if Coke has a machine next to it as long Coke is not IN the Pepsi machine and vice versa.

One thing I have learned in the time I`ve been here at VD is that it seems pretty consistent across the country that they are difficult to work with as a small and/or new vendor. If you are well established then "working" with them is easier.

Again, as djp mentions, always remember they are not your friends (They are competitors) and don`t let them so deep into your business that you are at their mercy.

my .02

yes it is  getting harder to deal with coke and pepsi    pepsi  will not  give out anymore  can machines here  and i havent gotten a machine from coke in 5 years    its been easier to just get my own  dont have to deal with the bs ;D 

We have been involved with the bottlers for years.  We put machines out in stand alone locations and let the bottler fill the machines then they cut us a check each quarter.  They have always been fair and the reports they send us are easy to read, the checks never bounce and we just call them to order the equipment.  It is out and on the location within one to two weeks. 

Poplady