how do you move your full-line machines? (when buying, locating, removing)

For those of you that don't have hundreds of machines and an army of employees, trucks, etc, how do you move around full-line machines?

I was really interested in getting into full-line vending, but this is the single factor that basically stopped me in my tracks and turned me toward bulk vending at least for now. If I wanted to buy machines, I would have to coordinate everything really tightly because I can't really store the machines, and most of the time people selling them used won't deliver.

So, do you just HAVE to have some kind of commercial vehicle to do this? How do you lift an 800 lb machine and transport it??

I rent a trailer from Home Depot,the bed lower to the ground to roll the machine on then raise the bed.I also have a 2 piece hand truck that picks up the machine 1 inch off the ground to roll the machine to where I need it.

John

you can rent a lift-gate truck all said and done for about 60$ per day, you will need to get a quality 2 piece dolly or a nice once with kick out wheels which will run you about 700$ new or a few hundred used. The best thing is to have a few people help you, I would never ever suggest moving these machines alone for several obvious reasons.

Mxer

When do you suggest buying the smaller machines like "Snack Time" or 'Edina"?

Thanks, Anton

Small locations like interior blue collar locations, no places that will do over 50$ gross per week. I do not ever really like them anymore on my routes, basically if the location only warrants a combo machines I will pass the lead on to a smaller vending company.

mxer - where can I rent a vehicle like that for 60$ and where can I buy the dolly - and I have friends that would help me.

Thanks!!

I get all my trucks from Ryder, I do not own a lift-gate truck only standard step box trucks, its cheaper to rent one when moving machines than it is to own one for the few times a year it would get used. as far as a dolly any grainger supply would have them, check eBay and local craigslist for used ones because even if they look all crappy they should still work like a gem.

The trailer is $22 per day and the hand truck I bought off craigslist for $165.Capitol Vending in Maryland sells them but they are $400.You can check the rental centers in your area to see if they carry them.

John

I use my trailer its a jlg triple l trailer for small moves and for big moves we use the trailer and rent a truck. We just set 21 machines today and the truck was 120 dollars for the day plus fuel but it was 24 foot dock high with lift gate and we had to get it because there were no ramps to bring them in only docks so it was worth every penny

This is only a solution for the established vendor who can afford the luxury,  Rock Line Products offers the AIR-TOW trailer, it lowers to ground level hydraulically in less than 30 seconds.  You can check it out at www.airtow.com pretty cool looking.

Whenever I have to move a machine (which i hope is not that often, unless it is a new one). I call the local vending machine mover and he picks it up and delivers it, levels it etc for a flat fee of $50.00

I've got a step van with a lift gate, but low headroom. At this time it makes sense for me to have several combo machines, so I move those myself ... no problem. For standard or large machines I use two local movers, depending on who is available. They both charge $60, regardless of how "hard" the move is.

My movers both have 20+ years experience. They have fit machines through openings I would probably never have been able to negotiate. I say leave it to the pros if it looks at all difficult. When I have employees and more experience, I might sing a different tune, but it sure is easy to just pay someone who really knows what they are doing to just get it done.

My guy charges $75.  He makes it look easy with the right equipment and moves it himself.  It took every ounce of strength with 4 men and the WRONG equipment. 

I won't try it again.  I can handle combos myself, but not pop machines.

Michael