Full Line Recycling?

I was scheming on placing one of these at my highest volume can locations:

http://www.theparkcatalog.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=108%2D1062

If a location sold 40 cases a month and only the cans sold ended up in the bin, it would produce $15-20 a month (there is no can deposit in my state). It would be similar to a bulk route business model. It would be ran once or twice a month with a % to a charity. Any thoughts?

FYI.... The link price is for 3 units.

JD

That price seems high.  I know a local retiree that has gone around to all of the auto dealers placing carbboard box recycle bins.  He gives a percentage to a local charity.  He drives a little pick up, stops in with a clean garbag bag, picks up the cans and goes to the next stop. 

I think its great.  Good for the planet and good for him.

Bev

The day after I placed my first can machine, I noticed a rubbermaid tub sitting next to my machine and each day it kept getting fuller and fuller with cans until it was over flowing.  I put the cans in a clear trash bag and set it next to the empty tub and the tub is filling up again.  Not sure if I am responsible for the cans and someone just donated the tub, or if they are wanting to collect the cans and sell them.  but I really don't want a 40 gallon leaf bag full of cans sitting next to my machine.  what would you suggest?

I tried doing it for a while, for me it was too much hassle, it's hard enough getting rid of the trash I generate on a daily basis without adding to it by picking stuff up on purpose.

Besides after a while the back of the vending truck starts smelling like a garbage truck.

I tried doing it for a while, for me it was too much hassle, it's hard enough getting rid of the trash I generate on a daily basis without adding to it by picking stuff up on purpose.

Besides after a while the back of the vending truck starts smelling like a garbage truck.

Agreed, I would not even think about doing it in my vending truck. I was thinking about doing it seperate from my business, just leverage my existing accounts. I am trying to find ways to raise money for boy scouts for the upcoming year, hence the % to a charity.

JD

NinnJinn,

Check with the location owner (or manager) to see if they put it there. Might just be they don't want a bunch of cans rolling around the parking lot.

Thanks islander!  I started asking around and found out that the owner put it out there He apologized and said his grandson is supposed to be keeping it cleaned up.  But he said since he isn't doing it if I want them, I can have them or he would keep it picked up himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is going green!!!  This does work and can be done in a day to collect the cans from you locations and then drop them off. Most times can be done once a month with crushed cans. I mark the bags with each account so I know how much they collected.  I use this idea already I actually use it to help land some accounts. However I offer to split the profits of the cans with the account. I assume most would be ok with donating their part if it was going to charity. Matter of fact they may like it even better espically if they were listed as a donor to the charity.

Just buy a can crusher off Ebay, Harbor Freight or local hardware store and mount it to the top of a 32 gal trash can and the cut a hole into the top of the lid of the trash can. Much cheaper than what you found.