Ugly Snack Boxes- Other options please

TheBiz

I am searching for honor snack boxes and I keep coming across the same one.

2d7g75v.jpg

I think its kind of ugly so I am wondering where to get some custom snack boxes like I see on some companies sites. For example, some companies have boxes with their logo on them.

In reality, I don't really need custom ones, but I would like to find some that are a bit less ugly. Any suggestions?

I'll tell you one thing.  If I had them I would wrap solid color Christmas paper around them and put some cool stickers on them.

That would surely catch your eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try to add honor boxes at some of the locations i have where there is only soda machines. the locations are too small for snack and really probably too small for soda too but at the current time i have nowhere to move the machines so i figured i might try honor boxes there to make the trips a little more profitable

i just went down to the dollar store and picked up some wicker baskets

img00351g.jpg

you can get them for a buck or two and for the money i have some cardboard boxes that are used to mail vhs tapes, they are sealed and i cut a hole in the top for a coin slot, they are slim and fit next to the snacks though they are not shown in the picture above.

you can also print a note on the computer to put behind the food which explains how the honor box works.

you can get them for a buck or two and for the money i have some cardboard boxes that are used to mail vhs tapes, they are sealed and i cut a hole in the top for a coin slot, they are slim and fit next to the snacks though they are not shown in the picture above.

I think honor boxes can do well.

Especially in your situation where you already have to service your drink machine on location.

This will add only a little time to your service stop and could result in a few bucks for a few minutes work.

However, the set-up you describe sounds scary.

Unless the coin box is very well secured to the snack basket, I fear your coin box will be the most popular "selection" taken by customers.

I can see the vhs/coin box growing legs and walking away often.

A box like you describe fits too easily in a pocket, jacket, or purse.

One of the deterrents for theft of money in honor boxes has got to be that they are hard to conceal when the snack-tray and coin box are one.

I think honor boxes can do well.

Especially in your situation where you already have to service your drink machine on location.

This will add only a little time to your service stop and could result in a few bucks for a few minutes work.

However, the set-up you describe sounds scary.

Unless the coin box is very well secured to the snack basket, I fear your coin box will be the most popular "selection" taken by customers.

I can see the vhs/coin box growing legs and walking away often.

A box like you describe fits too easily in a pocket, jacket, or purse.

One of the deterrents for theft of money in honor boxes has got to be that they are hard to conceal when the snack-tray and coin box are one.

do you do honor boxes? if so what do you price at and what are you collection percentages (how much is stolen) ?

to be honest i was not too worried about stealing money as odd as it sounds i think people are less likely to steal the money than candy, i remember years ago reading about some expirement where a guy was selling bagels and he found that unless he left the cash out in the open, there was almost never theft of cash. also a normal honor box its just cardboard you can simply open it and take the money out if you wanted to

do u think if i hot glue the money box to the basket it would be alright?

No I don't do honor boxes.

The 2 guys I know doing it locally, however, tell me they do very well.

So, I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

My suggestion is to consider getting a true honor-box rather than using a make-shift version.

Even the cardboard version would alleviate some of the issues with the make-shirt version.

The theft the 2 local guys complain about is either from people taking snacks and not paying for them OR someone taking the whole honor box (money and all).

My concern with your set up is that, even if hot-glued, the money box detaches somewhat easily from the selection basket.

If the folks doing 1-piece honor boxes get the whole unit stolen, I just imagined you would find a higher rate of theft since a thief could conceal your detached coin box much easier than they could the whole unit.

In fact, even some of those who would normally only take items without paying could be tempted to step up in theft category by selecting your money box instead of a snack to steal.

I know all about honor boxes lol.  There great money in them but very very very hard to sell.  I worked for short time for guy in town here.  Been doing it for over 15 years and has over 600 stops.  1 full time driver and 4 part time people in warehouse to pack the boxes.  Nice little business.  He has 80 itmes to a box and there are just cardboard box and has his logo on them. Everything vends for a dollar.  He puts it in and trys to 2 weeks and if it comes up short or slow place he pulls it.  He only goes for the good faithful locations.    It is very unique vending  hard to sell.  Like most stated it  more hassle then worth most time.  A  machine much easier. 

I know all about honor boxes lol.   There great money in them but very very very hard to sell.   I worked for short time for guy in town here.  Been doing it for over 15 years and has over 600 stops.  1 full time driver and 4 part time people in warehouse to pack the boxes.  Nice little business.   He has 80 itmes to a box and there are just cardboard box and has his logo on them. Everything vends for a dollar.   He puts it in and trys to 2 weeks and if it comes up short or slow place he pulls it.  He only goes for the good faithful locations.    It is very unique vending  hard to sell.  Like most stated it  more hassle then worth most time.  A  machine much easier. 

I just don't understand why so many people talk down Honor boxes, even when, like your in your post, they know somebody who is successful with them.

I have looked into them and there is very low start-up cost($5-$15 per box). Yes you will have theft, but I would be less upset in loosing an honor box than someone breaking into a snack machine, or even lifting a bulk machine. I believe that I have seen enough evidence that it can be profitable, especially if coupled with 3rd party machines.

I have been looking into them for a while since i got hooked up with coke. I just have not had enough time to pursue it past the initial research stage.

As I have asked in the past, We would love to hear from people who have them and hear actual experiences.

I dont understand the comment that "they are hard to sell". Why? To me they would be easy to sell.

Honor Box Salesman: Mrs. Smith I am Mr. Honor  Box Salesman and was wondering if you guys currently had an type of snacks available to your employees.

Mrs Smith: No we dont,  we area small office and vending companies want give us a machine. Plus we really dont have the room for a machine.

Honor Box Salesman: My company offers small offices a way to have snacks. We do honor box snacks that are small and hold about 80 items. We place it for free and you just buy what you want. We service it every couple weeks with fresh snacks.

Mrs. Smith: What happens if the box comes up short?

Honor Box Salesman: We take care of any shortages and you are NOT responsible. However, if it comes up short often we would have to pull the box out. I encourage people to keep it close by so someone who can keep and eye on it. Let your employees know if it comes up short then the company will remove the box and no more snacks.

Mrs. Smith: Really? We are not responsible for any loss? Maybe we should try one because my employees are always saying they wish they had some snacks. What are your prices?

Honor Box Salesman: We have two price points $1.00 for candy, cookies, and pastry. .75 for chips and crackers. We even have a few healthy selections. I can show you a box if you like? I will even bring you a couple free samples to try.

Mrs. Smith: Wow,  that does have some great variety in it. So no cost to us for rent or anything? Just pay for what we eat? We are not responsible for any loss?

Mr. Honor Box Salesman: Yes mama that is correct. No contract to sign or anything. How about I leave you this box and we try it for a few weeks to see how it goes. If it dosent work out no big deal. You never know until you try it.

Mrs. Smith: Ok sure. I know my people are going to love it they are always asking for snacks.

Mr. Honor Box Salesman: Here is my card and my number is on the box also. If you have a problem or it needs servicing before I come back be sure and call me. Remember it usually works best if the box is kept where someone kinda keeps and eye on it. I wouldn’t want a couple of people to ruin it for your employees. I want to thank you for your time and I appreciate the business. Here, try these new chips we are carrying and let me know what you think next time I am in.

How hard is that? I just don’t see why anyone would think honor box sales would be hard. The places you would be selling to unless they already have a box would love to have some snacks around.  I just don’t see how it could be hard. A friend of mine sold honor boxes for a company many years ago and got $10.00 for everyone he placed. He made BIG money for back in the day. He was placing like 10 to 20 a day some days.

.  A  machine much easier. 

i dunno man i just pulled five bucks out of one of my snack machines today, five bucks for a week, of course the soda there makes about $50 a week but would i rather have an honor box there than a snack machine...YES

I dont understand the comment that "they are hard to sell". Why? To me they would be easy to sell.

Honor Box Salesman: Mrs. Smith I am Mr. Honor  Box Salesman and was wondering if you guys currently had an type of snacks available to your employees.

Mrs Smith: No we dont,  we area small office and vending companies want give us a machine. Plus we really dont have the room for a machine.

Honor Box Salesman: My company offers small offices a way to have snacks. We do honor box snacks that are small and hold about 80 items. We place it for free and you just buy what you want. We service it every couple weeks with fresh snacks.

Mrs. Smith: What happens if the box comes up short?

Honor Box Salesman: We take care of any shortages and you are NOT responsible. However, if it comes up short often we would have to pull the box out. I encourage people to keep it close by so someone who can keep and eye on it. Let your employees know if it comes up short then the company will remove the box and no more snacks.

Mrs. Smith: Really? We are not responsible for any loss? Maybe we should try one because my employees are always saying they wish they had some snacks. What are your prices?

Honor Box Salesman: We have two price points $1.00 for candy, cookies, and pastry. .75 for chips and crackers. We even have a few healthy selections. I can show you a box if you like? I will even bring you a couple free samples to try.

Mrs. Smith: Wow,  that does have some great variety in it. So no cost to us for rent or anything? Just pay for what we eat? We are not responsible for any loss?

Mr. Honor Box Salesman: Yes mama that is correct. No contract to sign or anything. How about I leave you this box and we try it for a few weeks to see how it goes. If it dosent work out no big deal. You never know until you try it.

Mrs. Smith: Ok sure. I know my people are going to love it they are always asking for snacks.

Mr. Honor Box Salesman: Here is my card and my number is on the box also. If you have a problem or it needs servicing before I come back be sure and call me. Remember it usually works best if the box is kept where someone kinda keeps and eye on it. I wouldn’t want a couple of people to ruin it for your employees. I want to thank you for your time and I appreciate the business. Here, try these new chips we are carrying and let me know what you think next time I am in.

How hard is that? I just don’t see why anyone would think honor box sales would be hard. The places you would be selling to unless they already have a box would love to have some snacks around.  I just don’t see how it could be hard. A friend of mine sold honor boxes for a company many years ago and got $10.00 for everyone he placed. He made BIG money for back in the day. He was placing like 10 to 20 a day some days.

this is beautiful you even have the rebuttals laid out

• 2 weeks later...

just an update i placed an honor box at one of my soda only locations today using RJT's 'script' it was very easy they were actually extremely happy about having snacks available. It's a bank so i guess we'll see how trustworthy bank employees are ;) if it comes up 50% short i dont think i will be doing any banking there LOL

big thanks to RJT for the script it was very helpful, i have a few more to place hopefully they will also go well

just an update i placed an honor box at one of my soda only locations today using RJT's 'script' it was very easy they were actually extremely happy about having snacks available. It's a bank so i guess we'll see how trustworthy bank employees are ;) if it comes up 50% short i dont think i will be doing any banking there LOL

big thanks to RJT for the script it was very helpful, i have a few more to place hopefully they will also go well

WAY TO GO!! This is what I love about Vendiscuss, helping each other!