What a $150 snack machine looks like from Craigslist [REFURB]

RJT

This is for all you folks wanting to know about used machines from Craigslist. I brokered a deal with a vendor doing some upgrades to his equipment line.I bought a few machines from him and he gave me a deal. This is a USI 2097, I paid $150 for this one with coinmech and validator. It was in nice shape other than some cosmetics. I painted the cabinet and put new front panels. I have about 6 hours in it and $200.00 total. If you are willing to look and willing to put a little time in machines you can find machines cheap.

I NEVER put a machine out on location that has not been gone through with fresh paint and fronts. Having nice looking equipment goes a long way in keeping accounts as well as being able to sell in the future. So look for deals and learn how to do some things yourself and it will save you a ton of money.

What it looked like before I started.

usi2.jpg

I gave it a good bath first.

width=500 height=375http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/RJTXXX/usi4.jpg[/img]

Letting it dry before painting.

width=500 height=375http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/RJTXXX/usi5.jpg[/img]

Starting the painting process.

width=375 height=500http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/RJTXXX/usi1.jpg[/img]

First coat of paint complete.

width=375 height=500http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/RJTXXX/usi3.jpg[/img]

Complete machine after paint and fronts.

width=375 height=500http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/RJTXXX/usi6.jpg[/img]

Here is a USI 3015 that I gave $400 for that started life the same way as the other one. Both will get one more coat of paint after a week or so after the first coats cure out. This one is going on location this week. It is branded for healthy selections per the location request.

usi7.jpg

Looks fantastic. Makes me feel bad about spending $800 on my latest purchase.

Thanks!!!

I hate to add insult to injury but the last 10 machines I bought I paid betwwen $150 and $400 for them. They all looked this good when they went on location. Shop around because their are some deals right now. People need cash, so make low ball offers and be willing to walk away if they say no. If they say yes be willing to take out the cash and pay. Last time I bought machines I was planing on buying two but walked away with three because of the deal he offered. 

Thanks!!!

I hate to add insult to injury but the last 10 machines I bought I paid betwwen $150 and $400 for them. They all looked this good when they went on location. Shop around because their are some deals right now. People need cash, so make low ball offers and be willing to walk away if they say no. If they say yes be willing to take out the cash and pay. Last time I bought machines I was planing on buying two but walked away with three because of the deal he offered. 

I couldn't agree more RJT. In fact I just recently sold a Crane combo in great condition on CL for a scant $300! I had it on location for almost 2 years and got my investment back many times over. Now it's out helping a fellow vendor achieve a quick ROI.

RJT,

Those machine refurbs look great!

I have a couple newbie questions... first where did you get the black fronts? They look great and make a world of difference over the wood grain.

second, when going to look at a machine you find on CL, can you explain how you examine it? Do you test each button? etc.

Thanks!

p.s. I found two machines, one snack and one soda, for $300 each. I don't have locations yet but want to jump on these... I'm itching over here...

RJT,

Those machine refurbs look great!

I have a couple newbie questions... first where did you get the black fronts? They look great and make a world of difference over the wood grain.

second, when going to look at a machine you find on CL, can you explain how you examine it? Do you test each button? etc.

Thanks!

p.s. I found two machines, one snack and one soda, for $300 each. I don't have locations yet but want to jump on these... I'm itching over here...

I'd love to see an experienced vendor post a generic buyers guide for snack/pop machines.

I'm going to look at another snack machine tomorrow, so I think I officially have the vending bug.  :)

Lots of questions to answer but I will start with a couple.

I use Rustoleum flat black paint that can be bought at Lowes. It runs about $30 a gallon. A gallon will do about 5 to six machines including the top and backs. I use a short nap 6" miniroller to roll it on.

The pieces like the T-handle and coin retirn trim are spray painted with a gloss or semi-gloss black.

For the fronts I use either Tuffronts that run about $40 each or I buy black pica vinyl from Vendors Excange. The vinyl is 49" long and is sold by the foot. It takes about 5' to do one machine. For the vinyl it will run you around $2.80 a foot.

Thank you for the info on Tuffronts! I'm placing an order for my Nat. 145 now. I have always stayed away from machines with the "wood grain" look. But now I will consider them if I can get a new front.

What are you paying for the National 145?

BTW, the vinyl is like contact paper and it just covers over the existing panels. On the two machines shown I used vinyl instead of the Tuffronts. I use both but the vinyl is cheaper. A little more labor but cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Someone asked what I look for when buying machines and of I test each button, etc.

It all depends on what I am paying for it. If I am paying less than $500 then I dont worry to much about testing everything out.  It really all depends on what I know the refurb value is based on what I am paying. What I mean is if I know the machine I am buying completly refurbed for $1000 to $1200 and I am paying less than $500.00 then I dont get nit picky about checking it out. I just make sure everything is their and it is complete.

When buying "rough" machines for around $400 or less then you cant be to picky. Sometimes you get lucky with those and they only need cosmetics. Sometimes they may need a control boar rebuilt, vend motor, coin mech, ore validator.

I guess it all depends on you ability, time you have to rebild them, etc on what you should pay for them. I am working with a guy now that would rather pay north of $800 and get a clean working machine. I prefer to go south of $500 and rebuild them myself.

I paid $350 for it. It only needed a few minor things. I would like to put a new front on it though. But after replacing the keypad I'm not sure how easy the front will be.

Changing the fronts are not all that tough. The only way you are going to learn is buy trying. Once you learn this type stuff it saves you a lot of money in the long run. I have even started changing the belts in some of my validators.

• 1 month later...

First let me say, you did an awesome job.  Second, let me ask you if you have a blow torch to apply the material purchased from tuffronts.com, because they have a video showing how they do it and they show themselves using a blow torch.  Lastly, do you refurbish and sell any of these?  I'd be interested in one as well as a refrigerated food vending machine as well.  What state are you in?  Thanks.

First let me say, you did an awesome job.  Second, let me ask you if you have a blow torch to apply the material purchased from tuffronts.com, because they have a video showing how they do it and they show themselves using a blow torch.  Lastly, do you refurbish and sell any of these?  I'd be interested in one as well as a refrigerated food vending machine as well.  What state are you in?   Thanks.

I am in NC and have a guy I partner with to offer some machines when people need them. I am not in the "refurb" business but I can and do get machines for people on a as needed basis.

To the question about the Tuffronts, we do not use a blow torch. You just remove the old panels and replace them with the new plasic ones. You may had been looking at a different product that is a vinyl decal type material that is stuck on and the blow torch was being used to smooth it out.

• 3 months later...

Archived