14 MILLION HOURS FOR CALORIE DISCLOSURE COMPLIANCE

Here is a link to the public comments about the article. It is very interesting to read the John Q public perception of our industry.

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/11/vending-industry-nuts-over-calorie-requirements.html

Scroll down past the article and read the comments. WOW :o

Is it 19th machine or 19th location?

One thing I've thought about doing is a laminated menu of all the things I could potentially offer on the side of the machines. If people care enough to go out of their way to read, then they can do that. I haven't looked at the law but I assume that would work.

Incredible. I thought I knew a little about vending. But this article informed me that the average operator has 1400 machines with 20 selection each. That's 28,000 head equivalents. Those analysts must be REALLY good at math.

PS. I fear this is not sarcasm but rather an example of the growing idiocracy.

"Fred Monday at 10:32 a.m.

How exactly would adding 14m hours of work kill jobs? By my calculation, 14m hours is approximately 7000 new full time jobs.

While I agree that people buying out of vending machines are not likely to be swayed by adding the calorie counts, I’m all for getting people to work."

Those people will be paid by virtue of paychecks appearing out of nowhere and granted by the power of the fairy paycheck mother!

PS. "Debbie Monday at 12:25 pm

Our vending service has no problem going in and changing the prices a few times a year…just because. They should not have a problem doing this either. However, I know we will have a cost increase associated with this new law…just because."

Maybe I should go change some prices, just because. After all supply and demand are a foreign concept. Sometimes I see a machine near mine, and we both agree to charge 2000$ per vend so we can drive huge housecars that fly. I'm so disappointed with our "education" system right now.

Devin, here is a cut and paste from the Tribune Article:

The FDA has not yet provided guidance about how calorie counts should be displayed, and a spokesman did not respond to requests for comment. But Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, the consumer advocacy organization that led the national effort to require calorie labeling, said putting a menu with calorie information on the side of a vending machine would be against the spirit of the bill.

"I think Congress was crystal clear that calorie information needs to be right next to the item," she said. "They're just whining and complaining and trying to get out of it."

End

I don't know exactly what the rules are going to be yet, I guess we will have to wait and see on that, what you have in mind may or may not comply with the final rules.

I'll deal with it when/if it happens. It seems like a law that would have a lot of grey area.

I'm taking the same approach. It seems that this just started making headlines in the last week or so. Neil Boortz was even talking about it yesterday. I don't think that this or the 1099 part of the bill will ever be implemented or at least not in its current form.

I'm taking the same approach. It seems that this just started making headlines in the last week or so. Neil Boortz was even talking about it yesterday. I don't think that this or the 1099 part of the bill will ever be implemented or at least not in its current form.

I am hopeful of that as well since the recent elections.

Yes it covers bulk too.

Maybe instead of putting regular charity stickers on the machines, we should be funding some Anti-Food_Nazi group.  (By food nazis I mean The Center for Science in the Public Interest.)

How many of you or your wife/husband while in a grocery store in the cereal isle, actually looks at the side of the box to see which cereal is the healthiest?

I honestly think you can put a label on sodas saying, "drinking 1 soda a week will kill you in 3yrs"  and your sales will NOT drop one fricken bit!

IMO  it is just the government trying to find more reasons to spend our tax dollars and tell us what to do.

as for the obesity issue, the next thing you know, they are going to out law PS 3, xbox and TVs!!!

There is research that at least implies that putting healthy items on a menu actually cases people to purchase even less healthy items.  Apparently people look at the healthy item, think about purchasing it, then they feel good that they thought about it, and feel better about going for the worse item.

Maybe we should run a test, add some healthy items, and see if the HoHo sales go up.

Archived