The New Forum

noved1

Done! And in only 22 minutes! :o

When your PM inbox is full you'll see a red banner across the top of the site letting you know.

How do I get rid of this red banner saying my PMs are full? ( 50 )

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do I get rid of this red banner saying my PMs are full? ( 50 )

You need to delete your PMs. the new forum only allows you to have 50 max PMs. If you have the red banner, then that means, you will not receive any more PMs that members send you until you get it down below 50

Steve,

I have a new suggestion for you. Instead of having a labels and graphics forum, why not create an album in the gallery and move them all there.

Good idea Darryl. I've started the label album in the gallery. Feel free to add to it while I transfer the existing labels over from the labels category.

Anyone else unable to log in using FB or Twitter? I haven't been able to yet.

I just signed out and then signed back in with FB. No problems here. Are you getting an error message?

For those interested, here is a quick look at the options available to you if you connect your TVF account with Facebook and/or Twitter.

To setup your FB or Twitter connection, go to "My Settings" and click on the "Profile" tab. Then choose either FB or Twitter Connect from the left menu.

Here are the connection options you have with each. You can choose to share nothing but login info or more.

Available Facebook settings...

post-1-0-89084900-1295151708_thumb.png

Available Twitter settings...

post-1-0-02900000-1295151723_thumb.png

steve...before the change you said we would have a choice of skins to choose from, is this available yet?

Will.vend,

Not yet. They are coming. The thing with the multiple skins is that each one has to be customized for this forum. It's not a matter of just installing them. Each one that I install will be like starting over again. They are coming though.

Until then, why not try out the TVF Mobile skin? It is a very clean skin that only shows the categories and posts. It's super easy to navigate. You don't have to use it only on a mobile device either.

Hey mobile users! If you have a touch screen phone. Tap on the message you want to qoute and you will have the option to!!!!!!! Just found this out by accident!

Mods, if you feel this should be moved elsewhere, feel free to do so!

Will.vend,

Not yet. They are coming. The thing with the multiple skins is that each one has to be customized for this forum. It's not a matter of just installing them. Each one that I install will be like starting over again. They are coming though.

Until then, why not try out the TVF Mobile skin? It is a very clean skin that only shows the categories and posts. It's super easy to navigate. You don't have to use it only on a mobile device either.

no problem Steve! I like this skin but thought maybe some of the whiners would like to have a choice.

p.s. Mrs C rocks!

I am viewing and posting using my iPad and it works great!

Anything new, like the new Vendiscuss.com forum, scares members that get use to the one they have used for years. This new forum has all the same heavily used features that it had before. It may take a few extra minutes to find them, for the first time, but once you do, it's better than ever.

What's important is, that the newbies to the site think it's amazing! Just read their comments. If they are not confused and lost, than why should we be? Let's use this topic to post question about the new site changes. As usual, we can help one another to get a better understanding of how the site works.

If there are some members that really know how to explain the features of the site, please check in regularly, and help other members out.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gary

Vendiscuss.com

One thing I have noticed with the new board is that it is definitely a resource hog. That being said, the older forum was one as well, but not to the same extent. I have found that the rate that the board redraws can take just a second or two to several seconds, depending on which computer I'm using. No, I'm not using IE. I like firefox as my browser of choice and I've used it for a few years now.

What I find happening is that the board will draw first the center pane with all the messages. This pane fills the screen from side to side. Just when I think it's all done and I can start typing or clicking, the whole thing moves around because that middle pane will collapse to allow for the left and right panes to draw.

I will be the first to admit, my computer is not a very powerful beast, but there are very few other sites that use this much resources. I regard this as a trade-off between browsability and functionality.

I'm trying not to make this a complaint so much as an observation of what I'm experiencing when I'm on this board. I hope it's not taken as such.

One thing I have noticed with the new board is that it is definitely a resource hog. That being said, the older forum was one as well, but not to the same extent. I have found that the rate that the board redraws can take just a second or two to several seconds, depending on which computer I'm using. No, I'm not using IE. I like firefox as my browser of choice and I've used it for a few years now.

What I find happening is that the board will draw first the center pane with all the messages. This pane fills the screen from side to side. Just when I think it's all done and I can start typing or clicking, the whole thing moves around because that middle pane will collapse to allow for the left and right panes to draw.

I will be the first to admit, my computer is not a very powerful beast, but there are very few other sites that use this much resources. I regard this as a trade-off between browsability and functionality.

I'm trying not to make this a complaint so much as an observation of what I'm experiencing when I'm on this board. I hope it's not taken as such.

Darryl,

I'm not taking this as a complaint. I appreciate all input.

I will say that I am not experiencing anything like that though. I've browsed the new site on 3 different computers and my phone and haven't had any slow loading issues.

Is the new site a resource hog? Yes. Obviously there are more processes going on here than on the old site. But I have combated that by increasing the memory 3 fold.

I will submit a ticket to support and have them look at usage and configuration to determine if we are running efficiently.

I'll let you know the results.

Darryl, and others.

For reference, I've added a view of the server stats to the right column. It is just below the skin and language selectors. The first figure, with the clock, is the page load time. Are you seeing load times of over 1 sec?

<br />Darryl,<br /><br />I'm not taking this as a complaint. I appreciate all input. <br /><br />I will say that I am not experiencing anything like that though. I've browsed the new site on 3 different computers and my phone and haven't had any slow loading issues.<br /><br />Is the new site a resource hog? Yes. Obviously there are more processes going on here than on the old site. But I have combated that by increasing the memory 3 fold.<br /><br />I will submit a ticket to support and have them look at usage and configuration to determine if we are running efficiently.<br /><br />I'll let you know the results.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Steve,

I don't know if the problem is on your end. I believe it is on mine because I either have a slow computer or a slow internet connection. The mobile skin helps alot. However, when I use it, I miss out on many of the other features. I'll be looking forward to the other skins that you have on the agenda.

Darryl,

As promised, here is the report I received from support. I have made the recommended adjustments. Let me know if you see any difference.

It appears to me that your problem is likely due to the fact that all of the CSS for your skin is inline, which means it is sent with every request and browsers cannot cache it.

If you change this setting so that it caches CSS files, and also so that they are minified to make them as small as possible. That will probably have a huge impact on your site's performance.

As for the server itself, we've not seen any problems with your server for the past few weeks. Your load have been quite consistently low.

Darryl,

As promised, here is the report I received from support. I have made the recommended adjustments. Let me know if you see any difference.

Thanks. I'll give it a test drive with my least robust computer this evening and let you know how it works out.

can videos be added to your profile page? like something from youtube...

Yes.

Go to your profile, click on "Edit my profile" then "Change about me page". Then click on "Insert Media" (It's the black icon that looks like an ipod) Then just copy and paste the URL from the video there.

Here is a pic...

post-1-0-77319400-1295479889_thumb.png

Hey Steve,

For what it is worth, I have been keeping an eye on the load time clock, the slowest I have had was .5 something. but 99% of the time it ranges from .09 to .15

I am not complaining, I am happy with it, Just letting you know the kind of times I am getting.

I am running an equivalent of a P4 3.2ghz and have a 2.5mb internet connection.

Yes.

Go to your profile, click on "Edit my profile" then "Change about me page". Then click on "Insert Media" (It's the black icon that looks like an ipod) Then just copy and paste the URL from the video there.

Here is a pic...

post-1-0-77319400-1295479889_thumb.png

steve, I figured out how to add a video, but when I tried to add another it replaced the first video with the second one, is one video the limit?

Archived