The New Forum

noved1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is an interesting concept, if I follow what you are saying. You want a "View New Content" with the option of only viewing what you have subscribed to. Don;t you miss a lot doing it that way though?

arrggghhh I'm pulling my hair out lol... Every forum I have ever used has this functionality it's like the most basic core feature. It's designed to be your home page, your resting place, the main place you go to. So when you first sign on in the morning you click on your bookmark to the cp and you can quickly see an overview of any new updates to any threads you started or have been participating in. THEN you can always go look at the various categories on the forum or almost every forum has a recent content section, I did see that on here so there is really no issue of not seeing new stuff. BUT when you just need to quickly check and see if any of your threads have had a response since you last checked, you NEED THAT CP!!

How many of you guys are browsing at work, and every once in a while when you have 2 minutes to yourself you just quickly want to check and see if your recent threads have been updated? If you looked at my traffic on the old forum it would be something like 10 billion hits to the user cp, and like 500 hits to other places on the site. It's THAT important!

BUT when you just need to quickly check and see if any of your threads have had a response since you last checked, you NEED THAT CP!!

You still have this functionality.

He's not saying it because it's already been said over and over before. Look at the top of the screen where it says "View New Content". It's right by the RSS icon. It will show you all the new items since your last call. You might also have to do some settings in your profile to tweek it just the way you want it to.

Additionally, if you look at the menu at the top right, there's a button for "My Profile", then "My Settiings", then right after that is the one that you want, it says "MY CONTENT".

By the way, what do you mean by "cp"?

Miz,

Although it may seem like it, I'm not trying to be a golpher. I've suggested many times that members take a moment to go through every option in their settings menu and to look in the help section.

This forum is way more customizable than any other forum software out there. You can configure your experience here in un-imaginable ways and make it react the way it suits you best. Our last forum didn't allow for that. That's one of the biggest reasons I switched to this software because I wanted to give the members a choice of what features they felt were important to them and all I've been getting is grief from the majority. Over the last month I've been dealing with multiple complaints about it, both publicly and privately, and I've simply reached the point where I'm no longer going to try and hold everyones hand. Everything you need or want to know about using this forum is in the help section or you can figure it out by looking through your settings.

I was able to find what you are looking for with only 2 clicks.

all I've been getting is grief from the majority.

Ok, maybe not the "majority" but sometimes it sure feels like it.

Miz,

Although it may seem like it, I'm not trying to be a golpher. I've suggested many times that members take a moment to go through every option in their settings menu and to look in the help section.

This forum is way more customizable than any other forum software out there. You can configure your experience here in un-imaginable ways and make it react the way it suits you best. Our last forum didn't allow for that. That's one of the biggest reasons I switched to this software because I wanted to give the members a choice of what features they felt were important to them and all I've been getting is grief from the majority. Over the last month I've been dealing with multiple complaints about it, both publicly and privately, and I've simply reached the point where I'm no longer going to try and hold everyones hand. Everything you need or want to know about using this forum is in the help section or you can figure it out by looking through your settings.

I was able to find what you are looking for with only 2 clicks.

Ok, maybe not the "majority" but sometimes it sure feels like it.

I am liking it so far - and have found all of the stuff

hang in there Steve :)

it's not the same, both those options show like everything you have ever posted, it's oversaturation.

One more thing to note is that the new messages will have a little yellow star preceding the thread name when you look in the forum, or at the new content.If you click on the yellow star, it will bring you to the first unread reply to that thread.

on the old forum (and every other forum I have ever used) there was a section, typically called user cp, where I could go and it would show a list of threads that I have subscribed to or posted in, usually it would only show the ones with posts in them that I hadn't read. Is there a way to get to a page like that on this new forum??

I must have too much time on my hands.

Miz,

I'm not sure if this would make it easier for you, or if it is more in line with what you want, but I've added a button in the right collapsible column entitled "View Unread Replies" This will call up all threads that you posted in that contains an unread reply.

I'm not sure how this is different from what we already have but I thought I'd put it up there.

As you can see, right now it's ugly. There's no icon and that ugly white line underneath it, but I wanted to see what you, and others, thought of it before I spent any time on making look good.

Let me know. If not, let me know also so I can remove it.

I am wondering if anyone is using, or even noticed the filtering options at the bottom of the topics list. I haven't used it yet because I view the board a bit differently than a member would but it looks like it would be fairly useful for sorting the topics however you'd like. There is also the option to save the filter so you can view the board the same each time you log in.

Filter natural state...

post-1-0-41970500-1297808186_thumb.png

Filter activated...

post-1-0-39925800-1297808205_thumb.png

There is also a filtering option at the bottom of each thread and I have no idea what it's for.

I like what I have experienced so far. I am using IE. I am still afraid to try another browser. Not sure why but I am........... :-[

I have both on my computer. When I am in the forum I use Chrome. When I am working my daily emails and other daily work, I use IE. Each has some great things about them.

Poplady

I like what I have experienced so far. I am using IE. I am still afraid to try another browser. Not sure why but I am........... :-[

I have both on my computer. When I am in the forum I use Chrome. When I am working my daily emails and other daily work, I use IE. Each has some great things about them.

Poplady

Interested in who is giving you, or others positive reps? You can find out by clicking on the rep counter located in the bottom right corner of the post. This works on anyones rep, not just your own.

post-1-0-25621200-1298035847_thumb.png

A great way to keep track of your "not so secret" admirers.

Steve is there a place in "my settings" to be notified of new blog entries? if so, I cant find it. if not, is that a possible option?

You can subscribe to blogs on a case by case basis. Each members blog has a button that says "subscribe". You will receive a notice when the blog that you are subscribed to is updated.

post-1-0-54483000-1298083479_thumb.png

Archived