Buying Used Machines.

Big Mike

I would like to have some opinions on used machines if you guys are willing.

Your top 2 or 3 machines you would want to buy used and why.

Snack, Soda, Cold Food, & Frozen Food.

So far Im using new Wittern machines and leased(for free) soda machines.

Mike

HI,

I would have no problem buying used equipment BUT I would recommend sticking to a good name brand like National or Automatic Products....

My route consists mainly of older Tom's Polyvend machines (lots of "pigtails" NOT trays so they are definitely older and parts are hard to come by....matter of fact if it were not for the previous owner having bunches of old machines for parts I may have gotten in trouble when stuff broke (good news tho is that the changers and bill validators are fairly standard thus readily available).

I am planning on running used or refurbished National 145's (I just bought 2 for 2 new locations and will eventually phase these machines in to replace many of my older units as time and budget allow....I went with National 145's because they are relatively cheap and parts are readily available...I'll even use them in my smaller stops to speed up time of service (no more pig tails) and since they are big and heavy they are practically shakeproof compared to my little H12's and H22's.

AP 5000 / 6000's are good older machines too.....

I would recommend trying to stay with one machine / model so as to mimimize the need for different parts for different machines (that is one thing I like about my route now...parts interchange a lot between the various machines).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

(PS - I do have some AP machines and 1 Rowe 4900 as well....pretty much anything is good so long as it's running and making $$)

I would recommend trying to stay with one machine / model so as to mimimize the need for different parts for different machines (that is one thing I like about my route now...parts interchange a lot between the various machines).

COULD NOT AGREE MORE

Mike

hey mike, if u dont mind me asking, why did u place only ONE honor box?

hey mike, if u dont mind me asking, why did u place only ONE honor box?

Its a to many irons in the fire thing. We are up to three now. I think there is room for many more in our area if we pursue it. We are always wanting/needing Racks, Cranes, Snack Machines. Our ability to locate far out paces our capital. :( - We are wanting to expand our snack business. Its just tough paying new prices. I have read posts about 4900 or 5900 Rowes (I think) being popular. I do want to pick one and stick to it.

Mike

Mike

If you are looking at buying used equipment there are lots of ways to look at it. Sticking with one model is one way. It simplifies the learning curve and parts issues. On the other hand looking for the best value is another way. Your learning curve will be longer but you will gain much more experience working with other types of equipment which could very helpful somewhere down the road if you have the opportunity to buy a route. If you buy right, parts will be more of an issue but a good condition machine shouldn't need much in the way of parts. Most of your problems will be with DBV, Mechs and control boards and the occasional motor.

My suggestion would be to stick to relatively new equipment, all MDB DBV and mech so that those parts be interchangeable. After that pick a favorite brand and try to stick with it but don't be afraid of a good deal just because its another brand. I would also look for machines that have been refurbed and updated unless you want to deal with that. IMO the savings of a few hundred dollars and spending the time and aggravation to repaint, update trim and install updated electronics is not worth it.

That being said my first choice for snack would be AP and DN for soda. For cold food and frozen I usually buy new.

Its a to many irons in the fire thing. We are up to three now. I think there is room for many more in our area if we pursue it.

do you do snack boxes or bulk candy boxes? just asking because i talked to someone here who is selling a bunch of charity bulk candy honor boxes that they dont want anymore , but no idea what kind of revenue they do or if its worth bothering with. i imagine those are a slam dunk to place.

honestly i enjoy the honor snack boxes more than any other type of vending im involved with for many reasons.

We are always wanting/needing Racks, Cranes, Snack Machines. Our ability to locate far out paces our capital. :( -

i wish i had that problem LOL

We are wanting to expand our snack business. Its just tough paying new prices. I have read posts about 4900 or 5900 Rowes (I think) being popular. I do want to pick one and stick to it.

Mike

i have a rowe 5900 , it seems like a good machine, if i bought another one it would have to be real cheap or in real good condition tho. i ahve seen them for sale working but not refurb for $200 on craigslist.

• 1 year later...

What about used AMS snack machines with chiller? Reliable as refurbs?

I have faith in AMS machines and they are a venture that I am looking forward to investing into. They aren't as big as USI/Crane but they certainly aren't a biz-op scam either.

Archived