Attaching Images To Messages

dperry

Steve,

I have run into that issue about not being able to upload images to a message. What I see is that I am currently using 11MB, but I have a 2MB limit. What I've been doing now is uploading them to my gallery, and then adding the link to it in the message.

But all this brings up a point. What do we do when we reach that limit. I can find no way in the gallery to delete anything that I've uploaded. Likewise, I can find no way to delete an image from a message in order to reclaim space.

How do we do we go about deleting things that we've uploaded?

Steve,

I have run into that issue about not being able to upload images to a message. What I see is that I am currently using 11MB, but I have a 2MB limit. What I've been doing now is uploading them to my gallery, and then adding the link to it in the message.

But all this brings up a point. What do we do when we reach that limit. I can find no way in the gallery to delete anything that I've uploaded. Likewise, I can find no way to delete an image from a message in order to reclaim space.

How do we do we go about deleting things that we've uploaded?

I'm surprised that Steve still allows image hosting due to the bandwidth that uses. I know a lot of large forums that no longer host images and use hot linking from photobucket etc. I use Flickr to hotlink to most forums as I found the image quality better in a lot of circumstances

Ok, I can answer my own question. To delete images (at least in the gallery), select the "mod options" button. There is an option there to delete. This still does not address the issue of space usage within the forums themselves.

Ok, I can answer my own question. To delete images (at least in the gallery), select the "mod options" button. There is an option there to delete. This still does not address the issue of space usage within the forums themselves.

This is an issue that I've been thinking about as well. I really dislike limiting the amount of upload space a member has but as Bill said, images take up a ton of room, rather quickly, and I am charged for that used space.

Here is something I've considered, but as always, I would appreciate any input.

I thought about limiting upload space to members until they reach a specified post count and then increase the space as they gain posts and/or reputation on the forum.

For example someone with 100 posts would have 2mb while someone with 1,000 would have 10mb.

I've also considered allowing supporting members to have unlimited space? My thinking with this is that the increase in space usage would be offset by the members donation so it would be a wash on my wallet.

I'm just thinking out loud here so please add your input.

Also, I'm sure the image deletion from posts is an option that I can enable somewhere in the backend, I'll have to search for it.

I also have the option to automatically purge any attachment after a specified period of time. The problem with this is that some images I wouldn't want to lose.

If users can manage their own attachments, like maybe uploading them to the gallery, then that way they won't be lost. Otherwise you might just have to bite the bullet. I think it would be good to go through some obvious forums like the labels (which I noticed you have now disallowed posting to it, which is a good thing) and download the images and transfer them to the labels gallery.

download the images and transfer them to the labels gallery.

I am in the process of doing this now. I only have the patience to do a few at a time though. As I transfer each one, I delete the associated thread.

If anyone wants to lend a hand, please feel free. All you have to do is save the label from a thread and then post it in the label gallery. I also give credit to the member who submitted the label.

Just make sure you upload to the proper album. (Candy & Gum, Novelty, or Other)

Thanks!

Thinking out loud here,

What is wrong with opening up a photo bucket account with your screen name (that way not all your personal pics are open to the world.) And just use the image link to paste here on the forum?

That is what I have been doing, that way it doesn't use up space here on the forum (or does it Steve?)

And as a thread reader, you don't have to click to see the image. it automatically opens while you are reading.

Thoughts anyone?

What is wrong with opening up a photo bucket account with your screen name (that way not all your personal pics are open to the world.) And just use the image link to paste here on the forum?

That is what I have been doing, that way it doesn't use up space here on the forum (or does it Steve?)

This is certainly a viable option. I know there are members who will not like it because it complicates this a tiny bit. Linked images take up no space.

I have also considered starting my own photobucket/imageshack/flickr type website for exclusive TVF member use. That way I can host the forum images on my own server without compromising forum resources.

Thinking out loud here,

And as a thread reader, you don't have to click to see the image. it automatically opens while you are reading.

Thoughts anyone?

Ok, I'll put it out there.....

What I've been doing is uploading images to my gallery here on TVF, and then posting the link in the message. The problem with that is that if I've already started a message, and then decided to add a photo, then I have to cancel the message, go to the gallery, up load the pic, copy the link, go back to the forum message, reply to the message and then paste the link into the message. What do you do when you want to add multiple messages? Copy/paste only holds one item at a time, so you have to copy all the links on to notepad or something, then go back to the message to post the links. It becomes quite a bit of a hassle.

However, I will admit there are definite upsides to doing it this way. There is always the potential to upload the same pic multiple times throughout the life of the forum. I know I've uploaded the same pic many times before in various messages.

I guess using a separate site to host the images will help because you can have one window for TVF and one for photobucket, and just copy/paste between them. But sometimes some sites are not always available, so the image won't get shown when it should, or it may cause delays in the loading of the forum as it tries to show the linked message. This would be a benefit to linking to images in the local TVF gallery I suppose, since it's local.

Looks like I have been the victim of pressing the wrong button to reply to posts!!! After using fast reply I have been hitting "add reply" above the box and not actually posting. Dummy that I am didn't see the "post" button below the box.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand. On some other forums they use a paid membership to get enhancements to the forums. Items such as:

-no ads

-a forum email address (such as yourname@vendiscuss.net)

-special sections that are paid members only

-image hosting

So I would agree that you should limit the usage to your supporting members. You should have a sticky or something a bit more prominent that sells the supporting membership that will also list these enhancements.

This forum is a great resource and if the users want to see it stay around they need to understand there is a cost in what you do and be willing to share for "extras".

I will continue to hotlink to limit bandwidth

What do you do when you want to add multiple messages? Copy/paste only holds one item at a time, so you have to copy all the links on to notepad or something, then go back to the message to post the links. It becomes quite a bit of a hassle.

Try using tabs in your browser or opening a different browser window. You can cut and paste from one window into another without having to cancel a post.

I just figured out why I was hitting the wrong button. When you fast reply the button says "post" to post the message. When you quote, the button says "add reply" to post the message.

Try using tabs in your browser or opening a different browser window. You can cut and paste from one window into another without having to cancel a post.

But that would skew Steve's browser and call count numbers, wouldn't it?

On some other forums they use a paid membership to get enhancements to the forums. Items such as:

-no ads

-a forum email address (such as yourname@vendiscuss.net)

-special sections that are paid members only

-image hosting

This is something I've thought about too. It would be easy to implement. I've always considered offering the email addresses but thought there would be no interest in that. I could be wrong though.

Bill, do you have a suggestion on what a "paid member section" would include?

Not sure what to include, you obviously want to have extra perks, but based on past experience, some forums have so many perks etc, that the paid members only hang out in the "paid members area" and newbies post questions but they never get answered because the paying vets of the forum are too busy hanging out in the paid members lounge so to speak.

Hope this makes sense.

How about access to the adult section?

Pix of Mrs C washing some dirty vending machines.

Pictures of quarters being put into condom machines.

Live Web chats with T-Bird in a Jacuzzi.

We can call it "VENDiscuss after dark."

(No I'm not drunk, but I probably should be.)

I'm really having an annoying problem with some attached images on pages. If I click and open the image, and it's really large, it will be too big to fit my screen, and there will be no scroll bars to bring me to the X to close the image.

I'm really having an annoying problem with some attached images on pages. If I click and open the image, and it's really large, it will be too big to fit my screen, and there will be no scroll bars to bring me to the X to close the image.

Ive had this same problem, the only way out of it was to use the back button. steve if you need an example open the pics antonio posted in the classified section.

I'll look into this. I had this problem myself when viewing images in the gallery. I was able to control the size of the images there so I'll see if I can do the same for the posts and classifieds.

Darryl and others,

Here is an easy bypass to the oversized image problem. If you find an image is too large for your screen, you can right click on the thumbnail and select "Open image in a new window" or whatever your particular browser calls it.

This will bypass the image popup and just show you the image.

I can manually correct the size of any oversized pic so if you find more, please let me know.

Archived