Question about toy vending

shepherdsflock

I should have my first bulk candy machine on location within the next week (provided Kickstart comes through on my order) and am starting to think about what direction I want to go next with my vending buisness. I'm thinking that the next machine I buy will probably be a toy machine.

Considering it is going to come out of my modest candy machine profits, what do you guys recommend I look for when buying my first toy machine? I'll almost have to buy used. Should I look for a single or double head? Brand and model preferences? Capsule size preferences (1", 2")? Any other tips?

I should have my first bulk candy machine on location within the next week (provided Kickstart comes through on my order) and am starting to think about what direction I want to go next with my vending buisness. I'm thinking that the next machine I buy will probably be a toy machine.

Considering it is going to come out of my modest candy machine profits, what do you guys recommend I look for when buying my first toy machine? I'll almost have to buy used. Should I look for a single or double head? Brand and model preferences? Capsule size preferences (1", 2")? Any other tips?

I am personally doing the best with 2" superballs and 2" caps. I have tattoos in the same racks and they are not performing anywhere close to the others.

I would recommend buying a used NW Super 80 machine with a .50 mechanism. They are easily upgradeable to a 1.00 mech for around $5 plus shipping. Then you can vend 45mm or 49mm balls for 1.00. Should be able to get it all for under $100.

Target mom and pop convenient stores or markets and you should have no problems. When sales start getting a little stale you just drop in a few bags of different style balls and they climb back up. The 1.00 vend really helps your cash flow.

Good luck.

You could buy a NW super60 or an oak vista (or A&A equivalents) and sell gumballs or superballs or 1" capsules. And if you wish, you can use the same machines to sell candy if you get tired of toys (ha!). My general setup is with doubles or triples using oak, NW, or A&A machines, and I generally sell gumballs, and one or two selections of toys.

How do you do this?

The .50 mech from Northwestern has 2 slots in it. The only thing that is needed is a new coin wheel so 4 quarters fit in it (2 in each slot instead of 1) and double stacked coin pawls or "dogs" to read the 2 quarters in each slot.

Call Northwestern and tell them what you want to do and they will send you the parts. Don't forget to get a new decal too. It only takes about 5 minutes to upgrade it.

The .50 mech from Northwestern has 2 slots in it. The only thing that is needed is a new coin wheel so 4 quarters fit in it (2 in each slot instead of 1) and double stacked coin pawls or "dogs" to read the 2 quarters in each slot.

Call Northwestern and tell them what you want to do and they will send you the parts. Don't forget to get a new decal too. It only takes about 5 minutes to upgrade it.

Very cool. I ordered new $1 mechs from Northwestern but it was very expensive. I'll try this. I'm in the process of converting my double head locations to triples. Maybe some racks next? :)

I'm thinking about trying to find a double head setup and vend toys or bouncy balls in one head and gumballs in the other. Sound like decent plan?

That's what I do. I have several setups like that. 1in toy/gum doubles and triples make up the majority of my locations. Adding more just like that all the time. I have very few candy locations. I would suggest that when doing toys, that you should get NW Super 60's or Oak Vista 450s. The bigger globes are the best. Since I'm starting to add more and more 50c vends for 1in, I tend to buy the vistas because they have a good 50c mech. However, I have no experience with NW 50c mechs, so I have no idea how they compare. I know that A&A offers their knockoffs of these models, and they have some good 50c mechs, so they should be considered as well.

What do you recommend for a stand for holding two heads?

A simple pipe stand with a cross bar works well. The cross bar can be one of the metal ones that you can buy along with the stands, or just get a 2x4 or 2x6 and have it cut to 14", paint it black, and screw it on to the stand.

See this other thread about this subject.

I would start with one inch toys with an NW, A&A or Oak. Double head or triple setup depending on the location. You can migrate to 2 inch toys and flat vending later on after getting comfortable with one inch. Be prepared to spend more capital on equipment, inventory and rack stands when you make that jump to the larger setups.

What do you think is a realistic amount of money to put together a double head, with stand, and stock one head with 1" toy capsules and one head with gumballs? As soon as my first bulk candy machine starts making money, I want to start setting aside as much as possible of the money to go toward my next machines. I'd like to get an idea of how much I need to save up so that I can start setting goals for the business and gaging my progress toward those goals.

You can buy machines all day long on ebay or CL, for any price that suits you. Buying cap toys on the cheap can only come from a few sources. The problem that you will find is that the shipping is really out of line when you buy only one bag of product. Sure, you can buy one bag of Fun Toys Mix for about $6 for 100, but you will prolly pay $20 on shipping. Your best bet is to buy your machines, stands, brace, and product from one spot to combine shipping.

That being said, your best bet is to buy from A&A. The machines run about $45 for a PO89 (Oak Vista 300 type) to $55 for a PN95 (NWSuper60-type) each depending on the features. Those numbers are based on a 2009 price list, so the prices may have gone up. The stand is going to cost you about $35. The brace is going to be about $10. Shipping will be the only real unknown value.

I have bought NW& OAK, A&A they are good. But they all are trying to copy BEAVER, If you can spend a little more buy BEAVER, PROBLEM FREE for the most part save you time, gas, money!

The fact is that Beaver is the one who copied Oak (A case of outright intellectual theft, Beaver 'reversed engineered' the Oak Acorn...T-Bird Johnny had a thread on it). If you consider ROI, you'll buy Oak Vista's. My opinion only, but I do have over 10,000 machine years of experience...with just about all brands...

But the Big Oaks are an abomination, an Edsel of a unit virtually unchanged since the '60's. I would go Northwestern on the top.

Archived