Sweet deal on 2 bulk racks today...

WayneB

Using a rattle can I repainted this rack. I had no issues until 3 days ago when I wanted to put a final coat on the lids.

I got the dreaded paint wrinkle. So I waited 3 days for the original coat to cure, sanded all the wrinkles out and did a complete sanding of the coat. 

When I spayed a light test coat today, same stuff! Ugggg.

I let the paint, lids all sit for an hour before spraying, temperature shouldn't have been an issue.

I waited three days to recoat, curing shouldn't have been an issue.

Distance from the peice was 12 inches so idk.

Any ideas?

PS... orsd you were correct, big pita!

post-9171-0-15700500-1413128529_thumb.jpg

When I was still spray painting I only cleaned with winded and sprayed..I never had problems with spray paint sticking to the powder coat.

Also when powder coating I do the same thing. Clean with winded and powder coat on top of previous powder coat. Sometimes it's a little difficult to get the powder to stick but it has always worked out.

Finally TOTALLY finished with this project. Just need to find it a new home...

Total cost:

$15 for the rack and machines

$10 to get it home

$65 for locks/parts/upgrade mechs/.50 mechs

$40 for paint/sand paper/wd40 etc

$135 to fill with product

---------------------------------

Total invest for the rack

$265 + 30-40 hours

post-9171-0-41510600-1413587833_thumb.jpg

Finally TOTALLY finished with this project. Just need to find it a new home...

Total cost:

$15 for the rack and machines

$10 to get it home

$65 for locks/parts/upgrade mechs/.50 mechs

$40 for paint/sand paper/wd40 etc

$135 to fill with product

---------------------------------

Total invest for the rack

$265 + 30-40 hours

attachicon.gifrefurb-5-rack.jpg

Nice.  That's about half what just a new rack and machines would cost.

I really want to say thanks again for all the advice, I think this is a winning setup.

Now I will wait until the machines I have earn enough to do the 7 way. Will take $300+/-

I tried to locate this one at the cstore on the corner of my street but Lady got all wandering eyes talking about how she has machines all over for the blind people. (I think ashamed to try and explain she does charity instead of commission) but anyway I still wanted to say then why the hell don't you have a setup in your store woman?!?

Probably best if I go higher traffic anyway. Mexican joint about 10 miles from me is next target.

Wayne

Looks great where did you get the plexiglass from

Good question. I haven't yet. Since I had the 5 way and 7 way I picked the best 8 panels from all and cleaned those. Now I will have to replace every single one on the 7 way. That goes for a number of things such as the chutes, globes, lids. The 7 way is going to cost a bit more.

Call around to the local sign shops and find out where they get their plexi pieces from. I found a guy close to me that does it out of his shop and does it cheaper than I can buy just the plexi.

I'm way excited to see these racks done, as far as some of these guys saying its not "cost effective"  I can appreciate the satisfaction in doing it yourself rather than simply buying some new or used machines that are ready to go.   As far as the paint wrinkle, it's likely some kind of oil, but 12'' in my experience is still too close for rattle cans, I like MANY really, really light coats, ends up looking the best, and being the most durable.   Looking forward to watch the progress of this restoration.  

Paint problem- Paint dries from the outside to the inside.  So what is happening is you are painting over paint that has not cured.  Sometimes it takes days. As the inside layers are still drying the thinner comes out and leaves the orange peel. Cause is laying on too thick of coats. In rattle can technology, it takes an enormous amount of thinner to actually move the color, about 90-95%. So its the thinner evaporating that causes the problem. That's why the HVLP spray gun was invented (High Volume Low Pressure) To reduce the amount of thinner needed.

Mechs- You still have to buy a new face plate, coin wheel, pawls (dogs), and a spring, but it can be done.  On a NW 60 mech it will cost approx 11.00. So buying new is less hassle.

Paint problem- Paint dries from the outside to the inside. So what is happening is you are painting over paint that has not cured. Sometimes it takes days. As the inside layers are still drying the thinner comes out and leaves the orange peel. Cause is laying on too thick of coats. In rattle can technology, it takes an enormous amount of thinner to actually move the color, about 90-95%. So its the thinner evaporating that causes the problem. That's why the HVLP spray gun was invented (High Volume Low Pressure) To reduce the amount of thinner needed.

Mechs- You still have to buy a new face plate, coin wheel, pawls (dogs), and a spring, but it can be done. On a NW 60 mech it will cost approx 11.00. So buying new is less hassle.

Sounds like you might have some paint experience! Lol! Awesome!

Locating a rack is far more challenging than single/double/triple head, the cstores looked at the pics like I want to park a tank in their shops. They weren't hearing anything else just "I don't have the room". Ok fine.

Got a bunch of candy leads having my nephew call around to the pizza/mexican places. Got one solid lead of placing the rack at a popular pizza joint. Catch is they already have a bunch of machines and a big rack but they say we are going to open an additional wing or dining area and want to add a rack to it. My first question was, why not from the guy who has the rack already? Nephew answered that his commission offer was better so they wanted to give it try.

Better than my living room so I am going to check it out, think this boy has offered them 30% though. 

Archived