Stolen Product

Shauna

I serviced one of my best accounts on Tuesday, and after counting stock in the machine and comparing it to the money collected (which seemed way off from previous servicings) I determined that we were short 57 sodas.

We replaced the lock on the machine immediately after noticing this, but now my husband and I are debating the best course of action.

I want to notify the company that we have experienced a shortage of product in the machine. My reasoning is because we charge the employees a nominal amount for the sodas and invoice the company for the difference. So this shortage will reflect on the invoice at the end of the month.

My husband wants to keep his mouth shut about whole deal since we have hopefully fixed the problem. His reasoning is that this is one of our best accounts, and he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Any suggestions?

I serviced one of my best accounts on Tuesday, and after counting stock in the machine and comparing it to the money collected (which seemed way off from previous servicings) I determined that we were short 57 sodas.

We replaced the lock on the machine immediately after noticing this, but now my husband and I are debating the best course of action.

I want to notify the company that we have experienced a shortage of product in the machine. My reasoning is because we charge the employees a nominal amount for the sodas and invoice the company for the difference. So this shortage will reflect on the invoice at the end of the month.

My husband wants to keep his mouth shut about whole deal since we have hopefully fixed the problem. His reasoning is that this is one of our best accounts, and he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Any suggestions?

I would not say anything if you have fixed the problem. It only $20 worth of product and is not worth losing an account over. Who would have had a key and why? I know its not right, but if people can, they will steal from you. It is your responsibility to take normal precautions for security like changing locks to a protected key code. Are you sure it is not an equipment issue?

JD

Any suggestions?

First I'd make sure that you do have the problem solved. If it was the lock then you have learned the lesson about getting your own registered locks. If you want to look into this there are many companies out there that can do this for you. I use these guys:

http://www.lockingsystems.com/

Back on subject, given that you are invoicing them you certainly could add the lost drinks to the next invoice. However, my perspective is that, yes, you were taken advantage of, but the ultimate responsibility for securing your machines and make sure they are working properly is up to you.

What I would do, and have done, is to talk with management and explain what happened and that you don't want to make a big deal about it but want them to know that they have a dishonest employee in their midst. Chances are very good that they will ask you to bill them for the lost drinks anyway but let it be their decision to do so.

Remember all vendors have equipment that sells drinks and snacks, what will set you apart from the others is how you treat your customers and the level of service you provide.

my .02

This is a tough and frustrating situation. I wouldn't want to step on any toes either and I would be very careful about who I approach. For all you know, the manager is the one stealing your sodas and he'll be pretty ticked off if you go around making accusations that anyone (including himself) may be thieves.

Assuming what you are doing is allowing this company to give you subsidies so that you can sell the sodas at a low price for the employees, I would just make absolutely certain that 1) the machine wasn't left unlocked last time and 2) there is no problem with the machine allowing people to buy more than usual.

If someone is stealing your sodas, that's bad.... but how bad is it compared to the sales? However, if you tell the manager that you think someone is stealing and he gets ticked off... your account is gone... and if you later found out that the machine was free vending accidentally or there was some supplier-end error, you will be kicking yourself day and night.

So... my simple advice is to make absolutely certain that the machine is functioning properly FIRST... once you've concluded that the equipment is functioning fine, then you can keep a solid record of the sales and go from there if you have to.

If the account was selling cans at a 55% profit margin and was grossing $100/week but there was $20 in missing product... I would be concerned. At that point, you need to say something but just watch the sales for a little while and make sure it doesn't continue.

Thanks guys.

It's not an equipment failure because the machine is a mechanical machine. And we are extremely careful documenting sales for our invoice locations, because being honorable with all our customers is very important to me.

I agree that $20 is not worth losing a good account over, so I appreciate you guys bringing the voice of reason to my mini hissy fit. This is the first time something like this has happened, and it caught me off guard.

Thanks guys.

It's not an equipment failure because the machine is a mechanical machine.

This changes things. They know how to cheat the machine. Its most likely not a key issue, they know how to defeat the mechanical mech. Is the volume good enough to put in a real drink machine?

JD

Yes this definitely changes thing.

You know, it may be worth it to approach the manager and ask them if the machine was left unlocked. If the manager says they don't know anything about it or asks why, tell them that your records show that more soda was taken than was paid for. And then insist that you might have done something to have caused it and leave it at that.

If the manager is an honest person, they'll tell you that they'll keep a better eye on it and this could potentially stop the problem (by making people aware that YOU are aware of it). If people know "you are onto them," they may stop cheating the machine.

I would also talk to the manager. With a couple of my older machines, it is entirely possible to rock the machine front to back and get cans to fall out for free. Usually I can tell when it's been done because of the disarray of cans inside of the machine. Usually I will get a complaint that the machine is not vending correctly. That's because the last person shook it for a freebie. I approached the manager to let them know the reason for the misvends and I think it helped a lot for them to keep an eye out for the culprit. When the word got out, the problem stopped. In the meantime I also took steps to help secure the machines from this abuse.

Hello Shauna, One way to make sure nobody is getting in the machine via the plug lock is put a hasp with a padlock on the top or side of the machine then the person or persons now have to get threw the new padlock first. It is a inexpensive way of putting additional security on the machine. When i had my vending route i had about 300 machines on the street and the majority of them had hasps with padlocks. Good Luck with this issue and be ready for the next one ( That's Vending)

Yes, I understand that mechanical machines are of lower quality than electrical machines, but when we purchased the route, which was our first foray into this business, all the locations had mechanical machines. We are gradually adding electrical machines to our route, and if a location requires an upgrade, we put in an electrical machine.

This machine could justify an electronic machine, but the space is limited in their breakroom. Even electric combo machines would be a problem because of their height. Needless to say, we service the location at least twice a week. When I went today, it all counted correctly, matching the drinks vended and the money accrued.

We will gruadually phase out all mechanical machines, and we have never purchased any additional ones after the initial purchase of an already established route.

Yes, I understand that mechanical machines are of lower quality than electrical machines, but when we purchased the route, which was our first foray into this business, all the locations had mechanical machines. We are gradually adding electrical machines to our route, and if a location requires an upgrade, we put in an electrical machine.

This machine could justify an electronic machine, but the space is limited in their breakroom. Even electric combo machines would be a problem because of their height. Needless to say, we service the location at least twice a week. When I went today, it all counted correctly, matching the drinks vended and the money accrued.

We will gruadually phase out all mechanical machines, and we have never purchased any additional ones after the initial purchase of an already established route.

I'm phasing them out too so don't feel like you are the only one with mechanical machines. About 85% of my revenue comes from electronic machines and 15% from mechanical.

Hello Shauna, One way to make sure nobody is getting in the machine via the plug lock is put a hasp with a padlock on the top or side of the machine then the person or persons now have to get threw the new padlock first. It is a inexpensive way of putting additional security on the machine. When i had my vending route i had about 300 machines on the street and the majority of them had hasps with padlocks. Good Luck with this issue and be ready for the next one ( That's Vending)

If its a mechanical machine putting on a hasp will not fix the problem. There are so many ways to cheat these machines. Once they start they won't stop. You need to put in the correct type of machine. If the account isn't worth spending $600 to $800 on a vendor then be prepared to have this happen and happen and happen.

just wandering can anyone make a copy of the lock itself thats on the vending machin and create a key to open the machine without removing the lock? pretty much just walking up and maybe inserting something in the lock and making a copy of it an making a key? I think a locksmith told me once it can be done, not sure how. can anyone elaborate on this since we are talking about this theft issue?

thanks

rob

Archived