taking the next step

mainor5251

picked up van wednesday, man this sucker is nice. Thought he said it was a 2010 but its a 2012. Had a good time listening to a vets storys. gonna start servicing the florida panhandle next week from jacksonville to pensacola then GA next. I would post pictures but I guess I've already maxed out my upload quota

Good job Mainor. Just remember to follow maintenance schedule by the manufacture and try to drive it properly. Repairs if needed are very expensive and can be mostly done at qualified dealerships, so be ready when it breaks down. Hope it works out well for you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still working out all the details of the deal, waiting on some info to get final count of locations, had to give state job 2 week notice today just no way to do both. Gonna get on with the county jail part time just to keep my certification current. Time to go chase the dream!

Still working out all the details of the deal, waiting on some info to get final count of locations, had to give state job 2 week notice today just no way to do both. Gonna get on with the county jail part time just to keep my certification current. Time to go chase the dream!

Hey mainor...have you lost any sleep lately? Im sure your mind is racing..let me know if I can help.

Hey mainor...have you lost any sleep lately? Im sure your mind is racing..let me know if I can help.

has been very exciting but also very stressful, been doing a lot of data entry lately updating vendtrak. I'm sure I'll be calling once I get a little deeper into this. I'll definitely get up with you when I'm up that way, who knows I might even let you buy me lunch, just kidding :-*

• 2 weeks later...

well this was a huge eye opening, learning experience. ended up walking away from deal after i started servicing the route and seen what it really consisted of. was mostly corporate accounts (dollar generals, big lots, family dollar, iga, shoe carnival, etc). was shocked at the low pulls considering it had been 4 months since last service. most accounts had 5 way racks and a kiddie ride outside, the racks were only averaging around $20 and the rides alot less. product were mainly cheaper mixes but gross was so low I could not see a way to make this work and the rides seem more like anoquated novelties that are not worth the trouble. as i was servicing i found that a lot of the accounts had been lost and route sheets not updated, one day while out servicing the owner that i was buying the route from called me to let me know that a couple of the military bases that they had machines at wanted everything removed, each base included 10-15 locations. so ended up walking away with nothing lost out of pocket. been working on my route lately while i decide what i want to do til i grow my own route large enough to go full time. not interested in going back to the state prison i was working at, did apply at the county jail (waiting on them to finish back ground check) and have a few more prospects. the county jail pays a tad more and work 12hr shifts with every other weekend off, this schedule is much more appealing, allowing for more time to grow my route. Im sure im leaving out details, but this was the basic just of the situation.

well this was a huge eye opening, learning experience. ended up walking away from deal after i started servicing the route and seen what it really consisted of. was mostly corporate accounts (dollar generals, big lots, family dollar, iga, shoe carnival, etc). was shocked at the low pulls considering it had been 4 months since last service. most accounts had 5 way racks and a kiddie ride outside, the racks were only averaging around $20 and the rides alot less. product were mainly cheaper mixes but gross was so low I could not see a way to make this work and the rides seem more like anoquated novelties that are not worth the trouble. as i was servicing i found that a lot of the accounts had been lost and route sheets not updated, one day while out servicing the owner that i was buying the route from called me to let me know that a couple of the military bases that they had machines at wanted everything removed, each base included 10-15 locations. so ended up walking away with nothing lost out of pocket. been working on my route lately while i decide what i want to do til i grow my own route large enough to go full time. not interested in going back to the state prison i was working at, did apply at the county jail (waiting on them to finish back ground check) and have a few more prospects. the county jail pays a tad more and work 12hr shifts with every other weekend off, this schedule is much more appealing, allowing for more time to grow my route. Im sure im leaving out details, but this was the basic just of the situation.

Sounds like you made a good business decision. You did not let the fact that you were leaving your job influence your decision.

i left out the details of meeting up with there old route driver (their nephew) they hired back after I had told them I was no longer interested in buying them out. met up with him about 4 hrs away from my house and he then drove me back on his away to alabama. got a better insight into the inner workings of the company and his opinion of his family/employer. the most shocking news was the story about how they had created a bogus charity to help locate for their charity routes. the ride home confirmed my decision. moving forward i will concentrate on mom & pop locations and will be meeting with a united way of north west fl rep next week to discuss using there name and logo for 25% commission, i think a local charity with such a recognized name will benefit my charity locating efforts. Time to start some serious refurbing, got around 10-15 complete machines to refurb and tons of parts to piece a lot more together. i moved mainly to commissioned accounts but have found that there are a lot of locations that could care less about making $5-30 a month so a local charity could be key.

What a story mainor! Glad you had the fortitude to walk away when it turned ugly. Good for you.

This was a great read and I sure didn't see that ending!

Large corp accounts are not all they are cracked up to be. I have some and have had more. They don't respect your business. They will put a display in front or your rack, park carts there not caring about your investment. After you listed the locations I know who you were talking about. And all of his machines were dated. Lots of his globes are so old they are yellow. And all the locations you listed have a 40% split through universal vending management. I agree go after mom and pop and all the Chinese buffets you can get. To this day they are still my bread and butter.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Large corp accounts are not all they are cracked up to be. I have some and have had more. They don't respect your business. They will put a display in front or your rack, park carts there not caring about your investment. After you listed the locations I know who you were talking about. And all of his machines were dated. Lots of his globes are so old they are yellow. And all the locations you listed have a 40% split through universal vending management. I agree go after mom and pop and all the Chinese buffets you can get. To this day they are still my bread and butter.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I know they also used pelican vending mangement. Company was nik corp.

still killing it at that laundry mat in "da hood" andy

put string pets in @ $1 till i get some gold connection product in, 2" and 1" heads had sold out completely by the time I got back around to it. might go ahead and hit it up with a 5 way

lol! that place always generated interesting stories! Is the attendant in jail? hillbilly had the hots for her!

no she still there, looked bad strung out. she needing her a good baby daddy BUB!

Time to start some serious refurbing, got around 10-15 complete machines to refurb and tons of parts to piece a lot more together. i moved mainly to commissioned accounts but have found that there are a lot of locations that could care less about making $5-30 a month so a local charity could be key.

If you are interested i can get that stuff powder coated for ya for a very good price. If you have a decent amount of stuff i can drive up and pick it up. Doing some assorted parts for jax today actually. Pm me if ur interested.

put string pets in @ $1 till i get some gold connection product in, 2" and 1" heads had sold out completely by the time I got back around to it. might go ahead and hit it up with a 5 way

on a serious note, locations in low socio-economic areas tend to always do well, poor people will spend what they have in their pocket regardless if they have bill money etc...

If you are interested i can get that stuff powder coated for ya for a very good price. If you have a decent amount of stuff i can drive up and pick it up. Doing some assorted parts for jax today actually. Pm me if ur interested.

I wish but I'm on a shoestring budget :(

no she still there, looked bad strung out. she needing her a good baby daddy BUB!

Several women like to call me Daddy! And she ain't one of them.

lmao

Archived