Chrome paint

dperry

In an attempt to try and spruce up my machines, I tried to paint the lids and hoppers of some vista machines to make them look like A&A's PM Supremes. Sadly, rather than looking like chrome, they ended up looking like gunmetal grey. I used Rustoleum brand Chrome paint. I cleaned the parts, and roughed them up, but did not strip down to the bare metal.

Is it even possible to get chrome parts by just using chrome paint? Is there another process that is used for this purpose? Should I try a different paint? Lowes has Valspar brand chrome paint, but I would expect that it would have the same sad results.

Not sure on that one. There are pros that can chrome stuff but that would cost more than buying new.

Here's a tip. When I was starting out I would always add a couple one inch heads or two inch heads to all my toy orders. That way I always had a supply of new machines to go out and by ordering them that way there wasn't a burden when placing racks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I know what you are talking about and it can be done fairly cheap! Almost all chrome paint out there isn't really chrome paint. There is one place that is truely chrome paint. The product you are looking for is called: Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome. it is available in Aerosol or Airbrush. And it will give you the Mirror finish you are looking for. check out www.spazstix.com. Good Luck! Post some pics if you go in this direction! B)

• 2 months later...

I have alot of machines i want to rehab. Generally, what is a good brand of paint to use with an automotive sprayer like this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html I could be wrong, but I believe i would go broke buying paint in aerosol cans.

Can you buy such paint from maybe Lowes, HomeDepot or a local paint store? I have seen some machines that have been textured sprayed and look really good. Can anyone provide a link to a post or detailed information as to how it's done?

I have alot of machines i want to rehab. Generally, what is a good brand of paint to use with an automotive sprayer like this one? http://www.harborfre...-kit-94572.html I could be wrong, but I believe i would go broke buying paint in aerosol cans.

Can you buy such paint from maybe Lowes, HomeDepot or a local paint store? I have seen some machines that have been textured sprayed and look really good. Can anyone provide a link to a post or detailed information as to how it's done?

the biggest trick to making the paint look good is getting the old paint and powdercoating completely stripped off the bare metal

this is difficult and can be done either with sand blasting , chemical stripping or a combination of both.

you can buy a powdercoating set up from harbor freight for about $100.00 however you will have to buy

an oven and have a good size space to work, the gun has its limitations, you can work around them but if you are planning to do over 100 machines i would suggest buying a spectracoat or a king koat especially if you are in a high humidity area. this is because the harbor freight gun is poor quality and doesn't feed very well , so the powder tends to come out a little clumpy and uneven from shaking the gun to make it feed properly. at first you

wont notice it but eventually it will drive you nuts. also without a voltage control you can get a lot of arcs which

can have the potential to ignite the powder (especially in poor ventilated areas) and that can cause an explosion.

overall powder coating will give you the best looking finish that will last a long time, also you wont spend all night

cleaning out spray guns when you're done just sweep up the excess powder

Is there any paint method other than powder coating, such as a latex or enamel paint? I don't have a powder coating oven or specialized powder coating spray gun.

i got the first oven for $20 from a garage sale , but yeah using an automotive paint sprayer

should be fine its just a huge mess. just make sure to get all the old paint off fifrrst

and treat any rust spots with ospho

I'm not trying to contradict anyone but you don't have to completely strip the finish unless you're powder coating or the old finish is seriously flawed. Obviously you want to remove any peeling/ damaged paint or rust and you need a clean smooth surface but It's not absolutely critical to remove the old finish entirely if you're using automotive paint. It is very important to remove and/ or treat any rust or bare metal areas prior to painting. You can also cut down on a lot of the clean up by using one of the disposable cup systems. I will warn you though, automotive paint contains several chemicals that are very hazardous to your health. Always use gloves and a good respirator atleast. In my opinion, powder coating doesn't really look any better but it will be way more durable in the long run. Automotive paint will scratch and chip easier. There are several ways to acheive the textured finish you mentioned. Again, powder coating will be the most durable.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone but you don't have to completely strip the finish unless you're powder coating or the old finish is seriously flawed. Obviously you want to remove any peeling/ damaged paint or rust and you need a clean smooth surface but It's not absolutely critical to remove the old finish entirely if you're using automotive paint. It is very important to remove and/ or treat any rust or bare metal areas prior to painting. You can also cut down on a lot of the clean up by using one of the disposable cup systems. I will warn you though, automotive paint contains several chemicals that are very hazardous to your health. Always use gloves and a good respirator atleast. In my opinion, powder coating doesn't really look any better but it will be way more durable in the long run. Automotive paint will scratch and chip easier. There are several ways to acheive the textured finish you mentioned. Again, powder coating will be the most durable.

ive coated a lot of equipment that had multiple layers of paint , the paint never seemed to look very good when

it had been painted over 2-3 times, and stripping it off was a real pain in the golpher most people dont even seem to sand and primer it

just right over the old paint and it looks like crap, all uneven

As an old Auto-body guy in one of my past lives Just sand the machine body down good feather out the scratches then Prime. Use a little 3M sanding pad or block to do most the sanding with. If you want to go really crazy you can stake a little spot putty and fill any small imperfections. Prime sand again. Then Paint I would use a good equipment enamel. Most any farm store will have it. Cheap lots of colors. I would avoid JD green. Thin it out for a auto spray gun or a airbrush and go to town. I recently got a NW I am going to do for a buddy's Man Cave as a Thank you for his help. Iowa Hawkeye's Is his team so it will be Yellow and Black. If you want you can add a little stuff called Caytlist but if you do use a Charcoal mask when you spray then.

Archived