Shipping machines - Where to get free cardboard?

lurtsman

My stash of card board is nearly out and I need more. Recommendations? The owner of the local fed ex place tried to get me to buy the stuff she was selling. I told her no as politely as possible. 8 bucks for a large box. Really? I'd rather have a free one. I can't afford to throw my money away. If I could, I wouldn't bother selling machines.

So, what ideas do people have? I'm thinking I can check near the trash at a few apartment complexes for empty cardboard. I can try with walmart or sam's club. I can buy bags of skittles and give each bag it's own box. (I love skittles boxes, but I can't seem to get anywhere near enough of them) Reeses used to have a good box, but the one they come in now is awful.

I really regret recycling so much card board over the years. Thanks for any ideas you can come up with :).

Retail stores. Retail stores get massive cardboard shipments. I work retail at a craft store chain, and we get tons of boxes a month- which are usually broken down and recycled in a few days time. Quite a few people have arranged with my manager to take the boxes for various things at preset pickup times on the delivery days. It's savings for the store, and savings for you. Try any retail outlet and ask if you can have their boxes- if they say "no" move on to the next store. Good luck Lurts!

every time i move i hit up the liquor stores

the boxes are sturdy adn usually they throw them out

on a particular day,just ask when they are broke down and tossed make sure

to go in before then and pick them up

Have you never moved before? Dumpster diving is the norm in this case. You have to know the local trash days so that you don't try to go diving the day after the trash is picked up.

You didn't say what it was you needed the cardboard for. What size do you need. When I get product sent to me, I usually save the shipping boxes for just this purpose. The double bubble gumball boxes make for good little storage boxes too.

Out here in Texas, there is this chain store called "Half-Price Books". It's obviously a used book store. But the stores are huge, and each is almost big enough to rival a Barnes and Noble. Their buy-back counter is usually running full time with people bringing in their unwanted books. The customers bring in huge amounts in cardboard boxes, and just leave them there for the store to dispose of. I sold 2 boxes full of books, and came away with a dozen free cardboard boxes.

Go to sears back where they bring out the big appliances they have stacks of cardboard that's broken down in all shapes and sizes. They've given me all kinds of stuff. I've built quite a few cardboard structures for my kids from there.

Craigslist 'FREE' section often has free boxes. People move and put them on there for others to use...Also you could buy some used boxes cheap on Craigslist as well under the for sale section.

My stash of card board is nearly out and I need more. Recommendations? The owner of the local fed ex place tried to get me to buy the stuff she was selling. I told her no as politely as possible. 8 bucks for a large box. Really? I'd rather have a free one. I can't afford to throw my money away. If I could, I wouldn't bother selling machines.

So, what ideas do people have? I'm thinking I can check near the trash at a few apartment complexes for empty cardboard. I can try with walmart or sam's club. I can buy bags of skittles and give each bag it's own box. (I love skittles boxes, but I can't seem to get anywhere near enough of them) Reeses used to have a good box, but the one they come in now is awful.

I really regret recycling so much card board over the years. Thanks for any ideas you can come up with :).

Big retail clothing stores. If you call the manager they will tell you what day they are expecting the truck to deliver. They like someone to pick the boxes up so they don't have to break them down.

Go to any industrial area and find a multi-bay warehouse. The various tenants are always getting products shipped to them and would jump at the chance to give you the boxes as opposed to spend the time and energy to break them down and put them in the cardboard dumpster. If you find them less than accommodating, then just take it straight from the cardboard dumpster. If you are clean and only remove without adding, the Landlord should be fine with it.

Archived