New machines vs. Used machines

Pitstopped

I started bulk vending last year. My plan is to go at it slowly while I am still working my "regular" job. I have been buying brand new Northwestern 60's in purple and yellow colors and selling Gumballs, Skittles, Bouncy Balls, and Chicklet gum, and putting singles and doubles on chrome stands. I buy the nice looking displays to put in the globes and always place a nice yellow 25c sticker above the mechanism. I have found that if I take a machine into a business that I would like to place a machine in, it has not been hard at all to place them once I buy them. I do not offer a commission. I tell them that for this machine it makes $12 a month on average and 30% of that would be around $4.00 to them. I let them know the $4.00 they might make is not worth nearly as much as having the machine there for their customers to use. I explain that it is a convenience for their customers that they like that is free to the business. I have 3 singles and 5 doubles out now. I have not had a single technical issue with the machines yet"knock on wood". My machines are next to some others at a few locations but mine look so much nicer and I service them so much better (clean them monthly top to bottom and keep them full) I feel like I am getting most of the quarters from those locations.]

Until..... last week I gave into temptation and bought a used three head Selectivend off craigslist. It is in good shape, all metal, clean, working good. I loaded it with gumballs, skittles and M&M's. Placed it in a Japanese Grill. I was called today to come fix it. Someone put a dime in it and it would not vend. When I walked into the store to fix it, I realized I had a location like the ones I have been used to blowing away. The Selectivend just doesnt look as good as a new Yellow and Purple Northwestern 60 double. Also the northwestern mechs just drop the dimes through and it is mine when I am counting profits (I just laugh that someone gave me a dime) But with this Selectivend a dime makes me run out there and "fix it" Plus it looks bad to the store owner to have a machine out of order.

I have come back to my original plan....... spend the money and buy the best equipment and make it look as nice as possible. I have about $1200 into my machines and stands now, and 9 locations. I could probably have 16 or so locations if I went all used stuff. But I am in this business for the next 15 years, it will pay off in the end. Plus it makes so many things much easier now.

Yea new is a good way to go but your not comparing apples to apples your comparing a selectivend with a Northwestern even if they are both new they still arnt even comparable that is like comparing a Ford to a kia there just not even in the same category. If you can buy used northwestern or I perfer OAK new and used for less than half of the new cost and they are in good shape then I think that is a good way to go to.

I have started off with Used myself I have 14 vendstars 12 placed bought them off of fleebay 4 where smoking deals NIB. After finding this forum and reading posts I would say your on the right track. I have since bought some nice used NW 60's 2 doubles 1 single candy 1 single GB I have 6 and about 15 eagles I have just picked up some 4 way racks for the eagles so they will be set up for Toys and candy Or all toys. Depending on the Location. One has a home hopefully soon at a local Pizza chain Restaurant.

Sounds like you got a good locating script keep it up. I have been doing it to fold for myself. Buy machines self I Locate some Hire a locator for some. I have been working overtime at work to help fund this. I need to pickup a couple more eagles to fill out my 4th rack although I might bite the bullet and get 2 new machines for that.

Used equipment is a great way to build a route. I've done it very successfully, but it's a big tradeoff. While you save money, your route is composed of a lot of varied machines, all of which ahve different operations, products, preferences, location abilities, etc. Most guys want to keep it easy with one or two styles of machine and go from there.

It's all in what you want to do, really. Good luck!

Either is a viable option, there are many people on this board who have been successful using new and others using used. It boils down to your business model and your own personal preference. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but it seems like you have found your choice.

I can see where used would have benefits over new, especially in the short term. You're right though rdendy, new 60's are for me. On another note, I learned early that a nice display card helps. I placed my first Bouncy Ball in a pizza shop. It did ok, after the 3rd month I bought and placed one of the really nice 3D display cards for Bouncy Balls in the front and it has averaged $38 a month since. Almost double than without the display card. Now I buy the nice display cards for all my products and it helps. Guess that should be another topic "Display cards."

I can see where used would have benefits over new, especially in the short term. You're right though rdendy, new 60's are for me. On another note, I learned early that a nice display card helps. I placed my first Bouncy Ball in a pizza shop. It did ok, after the 3rd month I bought and placed one of the really nice 3D display cards for Bouncy Balls in the front and it has averaged $38 a month since. Almost double than without the display card. Now I buy the nice display cards for all my products and it helps. Guess that should be another topic "Display cards."

Live displays for bouncy balls? I didn't know they made anything like that.

the 3D BB displays mentioned though are great looking displays, they make it look like the balls are about 5 or 6 deep, I got mine at cardinal for 2 bucks each, but they are worth it.

http://www.smartvend...alls--D3D.html. Here is one place to get them.

this site looks like a reseller I wouldnt recommend them, the 3d bb displays are 4.95 here and 2.00 at cardinal.

Here is a link to a picture that says OTB Vending Rack http://s1123.photobu...AlcoKS003-1.jpg They all have displays. I looked up many more pics most with displays... not sure what you mean Rick?

OTB Vending was an old member on the forum, myself as well as other members had conversations with him and he was known for not putting displays inside his machines,he would say that kids like to be surprised rather than know what was coming out of the machine.

OK, gotcha... that is cool. I wish he was still around. I bet there was a lot to learn from him. Thanks.

Trust me, there is nothing to learn from him. Except how to look dashing in a jumpsuit. He was a thorn to this community.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I had thought about selling my bulk route about a year ago. The OTB guy called me up like he was interested in buying it and said "yeah that looks like a good deal. Whats your address ill send you one of our calendars." WTF?:huh:

I get a calendar in the mail a few weeks later ,,he then calls about 2 months later and does the same thing,asks for my address?? I told him that he had already done that and what was he wanting to collect addressees for and he said he was gonna send me a calendar..:huh: see his ads wanting to buy used equipment all the time..My route wasn't no shady route and luckily it didn't sell as i had change of heart later,couldn't let go of my roots even if the grass was greener with pushers, I just added a guy to help out.

I have several locations he operates in ,I have the crane he'll have bulk rack ,This is assuming that his racks are the "Store service" racks ?? I think that is company name he gave me.

I wasn't on this forum then so i missed out i guess .

ron

Archived