looking for Pro's & Con's of Credit Card Readers

SouthernVend

I own several Dixie narco 501Es, Vendos & Royal Vendors drink machines, as well as Crane, Rowe, National Vendors as well as AP snack machines, looking for info, been thinking about adding credit card readers to some machines, just looking for pro's n con's.....

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I own several Dixie narco 501Es, Vendos & Royal Vendors drink machines, as well as Crane, Rowe, National Vendors as well as AP snack machines, looking for info, been thinking about adding credit card readers to some machines, just looking for pro's n con's.....

Thanks!

If you search through the full line section you can find several threads about this topic, here is one to get you started:

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/12883-credit-card-acceptors/

• 1 month later...

I don't have any, but the idea of credit card readers is what first got me interested in vending. From what I've read, the biggest cons are initial purchase cost and ongoing cost of processing fees plus internet connection (though you might be able to hook into a location's internet for free). The pros (if I remember correctly) are a claimed 20-30% boost in sales and a higher likelihood that your customers will purchase at a higher price point.

I think for most folks on this board, the biggest deciding factor is sales volume. If your locations aren't big enough that the extra 20-30% boost in sales volume would pay for the card readers, then it makes no sense to do it.

• 2 months later...

I have readers in 3 locations now, 6 machines total.  If the location is not already doing at least 5K a year it will probably not be worthwhile, but I have seen a sales lift of about 8% and slowly rising.... the type of location matters, a location with travellers/ tourists seems to do much better for me ... offices take time to adapt and use them, but the conversion (card sales that would have been cash sales otherwise) is not as bad as I expected, if people have cash they usually pay cash it seems... the cost for the readers for several locations is about what you would pay to set up a new location, so if the sales lift is big enough it works well, and when the DEX data will download it is really great, that has been my favorite part when it works.  Older machines won't handle the data part (but almost any MDB machine can handle the card reader).   Having some compatibility issues with newer equipment too when trying to mate it with another company for data. Took me a while to find a company that would talk to a small operator, but they seem to be getting more accessable to those of us who are buying less than 1,000 readers at a time!

Dammit, I just noticed I responded to another post resurected from the dead...... You can only install card readers on MDB capable machines.  You can't install them on single price soda machines or machines that only have a provision for a 12 or 15 pin coin mech.  You can upgrade some older snacks to MDB with either a MDB conversion kit or a new logic board conversion that will accept MDB.  USA Technologies or InOne Technologies are good manufacturers to start with when looking into card readers.  You're not restricted to any one backoffice solution to transfer card information with as you can choose anyone you want to process your transactions.  The card reader manufacturers all have backoffice services available as well.  The best thing you can do is try to stick with one card reader supplier and one backoffice supplier to make things easier. 

Thanks!

On my coke and pepsi I use eport.  They have 2 different models.  The standard model is 229.00 and the upgraded model is 329.00 which customers can pay with smart phones.  The monthly fee is 9.95/month per unit because they are connected to Verizon for the wireless.  This is if you purchase them out right.  To lease them it is 13.95 a month which includes the Verizon monthly fee with a 1.00 buyout at the end of 5 years.  If you do the math its 237.00 over the 5 years which is about 90.00 cheaper from the purchasing price.  This is for the upgraded model.  Every morning you also get an email that states how much each machine brought in as will as which items sold and how many items sold.  The only thing is when you lease them you need to get at least 10 but the monthly pricing doesn't start until you have them hooked up as long as its within 2 months.  Any questions please feel free to ask me.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cash has no cons other than theft which can also be a problem with plastic. Plastic has no pros unless your the bank,  processing company, or your running atm machines. If you stay in the vending biz awhile, you will learn firsthand the many cons of plastic.

Archived