I'm going to start an age-old debate that I'm sure has gone on for years. But being new, and entering locations that I'm replacing a current vendor, I'm going to ask it.

Big bags of chips versus small bags.

1) Where do you get the bigger bags? Costco/Sams seems to only carry the smaller sizes.

2) How do you upgrade a location from small to large and not hammer them with too steep of a price increase? Or....SHOULD you upgrade?

3) Should I just suck it up and do the smaller bags because they're easy to get, and price them accordingly? I can profit the same on these based on what price I set.....but will they sell?

Thanks.

Go.

I only use the smaller bags of chips. Less calories, less expensive and easier to get! When I do sell bigger bags, they tend to sit longer I think because of the price difference. My 2 cents.

So in 1 location I'm replacing, they currently vend the bigger sizes (1.5-2 oz) for $0.90. I'm going in with the smaller and will price accordingly.

What is YOUR pricing for chips/pretzels?

So in 1 location I'm replacing, they currently vend the bigger sizes (1.5-2 oz) for $0.90. I'm going in with the smaller and will price accordingly.

What is YOUR pricing for chips/pretzels?

I have read the rule of thumb is to double the cost price and then round off to the next highest nickel.

Sell the big chips at $1. I tried the smaller chips AND the bigger ones were still preffered. I was selling the small chips for .75.

They sell them at sams instead of 50 bags its a 30 bag box.

My best seller by like 60% is the flaming hot mix with hot cheetoes hot funyns hot fries lemon hot cheetoes and munchies.

I'd take advantage of it they'll see a more expensive price but a bigger bag.

.90 is stupid if you ask me. More change to give out and I doubt any considerable ammount of people would have .90c in their pockets. Or see the machine and be like oh hell yeah its .10c less let's buy more or vice versa.

You can try putting them side by side and see which sell more.

I did in fact just verify with Sam's today. They do indeed have the 30-pack larger pkgs at about 37 or 38 cents each. I saw them with my own eyes. Thanks for the heads up, everyone! I didn't notice them the first 25 trips through the store. My bad.

Awesome. I have options. That's good to know.

I'm still mostly with small (1 oz) size. For a couple reasons;

1. I promote the smaller bags as a cheaper alternative to save employees $$.

2. I also sell the idea that smaller portions is healthier as most people tend to consume the entire bag once opened, no matter the size so its less calories and fat consumed overall.

Same here, currently using mostly 1 oz bags. Over the years, I'd try to keep a close eye on the heart beat of the economy and stock mostly 1 oz bags or LSS accordingly. When the economic situation is dire, my patrons really shy away from the LSS bags & even my 1 oz bags slow down. It's a lot easier on the pocket book to pull out-of-date 1 oz bags than it is LSS. I've got some accounts that are subsidized by the companies and that gives me a wonderful opportunity to over stuff the machines with Grab Bags & maximize space to sales!! There are so many factors that need to be considered when merchandising a snack machine. LSS won't work in a lot of my accounts because of the demographics, income bracket, age of employees, nature of the business or industry, or on & on. Each vending account is unique and will have it's own characteristics, consumption & purchasing habits...

For me, I use big grab sizes. I feel that when someone goes to a machine with a dollar they typically want a big bag and they don't care how much of that dollar they get back. A vending purchase it somewhat of an impulse buy. Unless, you chips are at 50 cents and they get two bags for a dollar. But I think we can all agree 50 cent chips are a thing of the past.

Archived