someone tried to drill my lock, what should i do?

i have a Dixie 600 outside a apt office, its right next to a swimming pool, i went to check the machine few days ago, saw someone drilled my lock, but didn't go in far, and i was still able to open the lock. last week someone also tried a "quart string " trick and the string got cut. anyway, this machine is doind about $10 a week, not sure about summer, i just got this location 2 months ago. is it worth it to add a lock? a chain? or just move the machine to storage? also there is a 10% commission for this location. and i am sure someone will try to break in again, just want to decided what to do before something happens to the machine.

So...it's making about $25-$30/month profit.......Plus they want a commission?

Even without the vandalism, I would move the machine and store it. Gotta cost more in time then it's worth.

However with multiple attempts to break into the machine already, they will continue until they succeed, or they just damage the machine. Either way this acct is not worth keeping.

Travis

So...it's making about $25-$30/month profit.......Plus they want a commission?

Even without the vandalism, I would move the machine and store it. Gotta cost more in time then it's worth.

However with multiple attempts to break into the machine already, they will continue until they succeed, or they just damage the machine. Either way this acct is not worth keeping.

Travis

Amen, when they do finally get into the machine you face the loss of cash in the machine, inventory, missing/broken DBV and mech and additional damage to the machine. Could easily reach $500, so you are willing to work free for over a year to recoup the cost of the loss and damage based on those sales figures.

Find another place for it.

HI,

I tend to agree with the posts above....due to the low income and high potential for loss / damage to you machine.

However, I would LOVE for you to hide one of those hunting cameras somewhere (the automatic ones designed to take pics of game animals etc), catch the thief in action, and have him arrested.

In VA, there are strong laws and penalties for damaging or stealing from vending machine (above and beyond "normal" penalties for "regular" theft and damages (I was surprised how tough the laws were actually!).

Good luck whatever you do...theft and vandalism really sucks.

Andrew

If this is a real nice machine, pull it before it's not so nice. Tough locations like this should only have somewhat beater machines that get the job done, but aren't nice enough for an office breakroom. If you choose to leave the machine there, you definitely need to put a hockey puck lock on the side, a T-handle cover with another puck lock on it and a steel bezel on the validator. Be prepared for more vandalism, but make the machine as secure as possible. You can also put a Vendor Defender coin chute on it in case it gets salted. Other steps are to cover the selection switches on the inside with plastic taped to the inside of the door to seal the switches against saltwater. You can do this with the credit display as well if you have one.

I'm surprised you aren't doing more business from the machine. Do you have competition elsewhere on the property, is your area still real cold or is the complex real small? You might also have competition from tenants selling out their front doors, from a convenience store nearby or by the demographic in the complex. Contrary to popular belief, high income apartment dwellers don't spend much money in vending machines and neither do the poorest who are on food stamps. Your best customer is someone in between.

If you want to do apartment complexes, you have to do them right. Put machines in cages or build security gates across enclosures for the machines. Get long contracts so you don't lose the good ones and can continue to earn money to offset your loses. Use sturdy machines that can take a beating but still work properly. The Vendo M&M machines work well if you want to do candy. Even with cages you still have to use quality locks - hockey pucks and high security T-handle locks are required - and single price machines that don't have expensive electronics to be damaged are the only ones to use. Most of the experienced vendors around here don't do apartments anymore due to the vandalism, but there is usually one or two who specialize in them because they do them right.

i am new to the business, this one is just part of the route, i been trying to sell off these small income locations. its still cold here in WA, and rains a lot. i was going to wait a see how it does in the summer time since its a big apt , but now someone is trying to break in, and with the low income, i am just going to move it to storage like others suggested.

Sorry to say but the best bet is to pull it. No one like losing accounts, but it does not sound like to culprit is going to give up until he/she gets in. Problem with these accounts is that the damage to the machine is usually in excess of the value of machine & account.

Archived