question about nuts

Cloudedjourney

I had a location request nuts, so I talked yo my local supplier who suggested cashews. Sounded good to me so I bought a 25 lb in a box. When I got home and opened it they were mostly broken down and crumby. Is this normal? I assumed there would be a bit of that but it seemed excessive. Planning to bring them back either way.

Kind of tough making money vending nuts.  COGS is pretty high, oil and salt from the nuts causes long term issues with your machines (gumming up, rusting, etc.), and you can get weevils/moths.  When I started vending I quickly learned all these things the hard way and now steer clear of vending nuts. I would only vend them if it was at an existing smokin good location that demanded (not requested) them.

I had a location request nuts, so I talked yo my local supplier who suggested cashews. Sounded good to me so I bought a 25 lb in a box. When I got home and opened it they were mostly broken down and crumby. Is this normal? I assumed there would be a bit of that but it seemed excessive. Planning to bring them back either way.

I've noticed that with cashews in the 2 oz packs that I buy.  I figured that was the only way they could get them in the bag as cashews have kind of an odd shape - might be the same problem with bulk vending, would a whole cashew actually vend properly?

I think it is more common to find cashew "pieces" in bulk.  Whole cashews are available out there but they are even more expensive.  I've tried it once and found that you're going to have to go with .50/.75 per 1/2 oz to make any $ at it and people just aren't going to buy them.  ( I think the large pkg of cashew pieces at Sams is about .44/.45 per oz) So you're stuck with a lot of slow moving product with a much shorter shelf life than gumballs.

If you've got a great acct it might be cheaper to just bring in a small pkg of cashews for the person demanding them every 4-8 weeks.  Givem a cheap freebie and keep them buying the other stuff from your machine for the rest of the time...

They are probably halves and pieces, whole cashews are a specific product and cost a lot more

sams is the best place to get them, online is just too high when you factor in shipping

I only vend them at top accounts by request but  do the pieces, wholes are also more difficult to vend anyway.

I will phase them out asap

I dont offer them in new accounts

There is not enough profit for .25 vends

cashews come in different sizes as well

there is pieces

halves and pieces

300s 

240 s 

240  is the large jumbo whole salted cashews 

I order 240 count for my  cinnamon mandelprofi  or mandelbox   ( copper kettle Glazing and roasting machines)

I go thru about 100 Lbs. of cashews a weekend   

If not refrigerated or stored in airtight containers they will get

OILY,  SMELLY,  AND WORMS AND MOTHS.

I do not recommend vending cashews,  they are the worst nut to do

as far as shelf life and freshness

I do however   (shameless plug)  

Sell 25 lbs. of  fresh cinnamon roasted almonds...  $100.00 box plus shipping

the almonds will last about 4-6 months and are different and a great vending item 

sugar does not corrode the machine

however,  not for locations in direct sunlight

bill

Archived