Getting my feet wet, would like some guidance...

So after about of week of reading the forum and going through the "ultimate" guide (super-helpful, by the way), I'm down to the point where I want to get some machines to get started.

I'd like to start with small toys and a limited amount of candy (Peanut M&Ms, Skittles, Nerds Gumballs).

There are 2 constantly full Mexican restaurants near where I live and one Chinese buffet  (oddly, none have any vending present today).  I'd like to get at least 1 or 2 A&A toy machines and 1 or 2 candy machines as well.  In addition to that, I've scoured every resource I can find, and there are about 110 businesses within 6-7 miles of my home that would potentially be good candidates for candy or toys.

Would the PN 95 with the large plastic globe work well for the toy capsules (50 cent)?  Are there any special parts I need to get to make the capsules vend properly?

For the candy machines, I am thinking a PO 89 450.

I've searched out Craigslist and there isn't anything near me that I has been for sale within the last 2 weeks or so.  There are a few huge lots of vendstars out there, but the sellers don't seem to be interested in selling individuals out of the whole lot.  Ordering somewhere between 2-4 total new A&A machines just to get my feet wet is what I'm thinking.  

Thinking ahead, A&A seems to have a pretty modular setup that allows for a bunch of flexibility down the road, and I'd rather stick with one vendor for now while I'm learning the ropes.

Thoughts?

The PN95 and PO89 would both work for either candy, gumballs or toys.  The only differences you need to make are the wheels (candy,toy or gumball) and either 25 or 50 cent mechs.  You just tell them what you would like when ordering and they'll build them that way.  The parts aren't too expensive either, so it'd be wise to order a couple extra toy/gumball and candy wheels so that you can change them later on, if you find that you need to.  Those are good quality machines by the way.

Ok that's good to know - I wonder if it would be better to stick with the same model then if they both do toys, and just get the parts to change later if need be.

If I could start over I would use only the PO89 machines.  You can get 3 different size heads.  The flat panel heads, 300 globe and 450 globe. You would only need to keep a few spare parts for down the road. They are also about the best value out there for a new machine.  The parts are a little bit cheaper than the PN95.  The same wheel is used for capsule or gumballs, just may have to add the riser.  With candy, you don't need to use a large globe, so the 300 globe is nice.  It also has 4 tabs that can be used to attach to the globe.  If you break one by tightening the screw too tight, you can just rotate the globe.  The 450 globe doesn't allow you to do that.  It has only 2 tabs.  Of course, using different globes will mean using different length center rods and lids.

Having said that, the flat panel is the machine I like the best.  It is the perfect size for candy, gum, and toys in most locations.  If you need more room in the head, you can simply add an extra capacity panel to the back or side of it.  The flat panel machine is the most versatile and can be used on racks or single, double, or triple heads. It is the most vandal resistant in my opinion, and the option of add the ex cap panels is nice to have.  The only drawback is that A&A doesn't sell the ex cap any more.  You will have to get from Oak.  Cost is around $5-6 each.

Oak parts are interchangeable for the most part.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!!

PO89/PM supreme rock. You can't beat the price and quality. Get the upgraded coin mech they have a very smooth operation. In today's vending climate they are the perfect size.

I thought I read somewhere that the upgraded mech isn't a drop-thru, which if true, seems really odd. Do you know if that is the case?

Ok that's good to know - I wonder if it would be better to stick with the same model then if they both do toys, and just get the parts to change later if need be.

Yes, since you're not starting out with many machines, pick the same model.  Many people suggested the PO89 and I agree.  I have numerous of them and I'm very happy with them.  It looks terrible when people put two different types of machines on the same stand (IMO) as well, so you wouldn't have to worry about that scenario with only one model to start out.

Is $65 a good price for the PM Supreme with small panel head?  I thought I recall before seeing someone get the the PM supreme at 52-something?

It is a drop through mech.

I think 65 is the going price now I noticed an increase on my last invoice. 

I agree the plain po89 is just fine. But I would check oak also if you are going to get a quantity a handful then A&A is ok, or if you are closer to A&A because you will a lot on shopping.

I like the panels too but for slow locations the 300 head is great because it is much cheaper.

I agree the plain po89 is just fine. But I would check oak also if you are going to get a quantity a handful then A&A is ok, or if you are closer to A&A because you will a lot on shopping.

I like the panels too but for slow locations the 300 head is great because it is much cheaper.

Ok, that's what I was thinking...

Oak vista or oak vista imperial not Eagle not AA buy the best for less!

Yeah, I'm checking several out. Thanks...

My issue right now is the shipping cost.  To get blue or yellow, the freight on 5 A&A PM Supremes w/2 stands is $150.  Ouch.  I can save about $100 by going with red ones (due to where they are shipped from), but I really don't want red.

I'm going to evaluate the difference in price to get blue or yellow NW Super 60's vs the AA vs Oak.  A & A and NW have been very responsive to my questions, which is appreciated.  I'll be hitting up Oak today to get a quote as a comparison.

My issue right now is the shipping cost.  To get blue or yellow, the freight on 5 A&A PM Supremes w/2 stands is $150.  Ouch.  I can save about $100 by going with red ones (due to where they are shipped from), but I really don't want red.

I'm going to evaluate the difference in price to get blue or yellow NW Super 60's vs the AA vs Oak.  A & A and NW have been very responsive to my questions, which is appreciated.  I'll be hitting up Oak today to get a quote as a comparison.

I don't think Oak does custom color...at least that is what I was told from them.

As far as the stands you can buy them from quill.com and get free shipping on the stands. That is the heavy part of your shipment.

So after about of week of reading the forum and going through the "ultimate" guide (super-helpful, by the way), I'm down to the point where I want to get some machines to get started.

I'd like to start with small toys and a limited amount of candy (Peanut M&Ms, Skittles, Nerds Gumballs).

There are 2 constantly full Mexican restaurants near where I live and one Chinese buffet  (oddly, none have any vending present today).  I'd like to get at least 1 or 2 A&A toy machines and 1 or 2 candy machines as well.  In addition to that, I've scoured every resource I can find, and there are about 110 businesses within 6-7 miles of my home that would potentially be good candidates for candy or toys.

Would the PN 95 with the large plastic globe work well for the toy capsules (50 cent)?  Are there any special parts I need to get to make the capsules vend properly?

For the candy machines, I am thinking a PO 89 450.

I've searched out Craigslist and there isn't anything near me that I has been for sale within the last 2 weeks or so.  There are a few huge lots of vendstars out there, but the sellers don't seem to be interested in selling individuals out of the whole lot.  Ordering somewhere between 2-4 total new A&A machines just to get my feet wet is what I'm thinking.  

Thinking ahead, A&A seems to have a pretty modular setup that allows for a bunch of flexibility down the road, and I'd rather stick with one vendor for now while I'm learning the ropes.

Thoughts?

Vendmarmot,

Did I already send you price lists ?

My issue right now is the shipping cost. To get blue or yellow, the freight on 5 A&A PM Supremes w/2 stands is $150. Ouch. I can save about $100 by going with red ones (due to where they are shipped from), but I really don't want red.

I'm going to evaluate the difference in price to get blue or yellow NW Super 60's vs the AA vs Oak. A & A and NW have been very responsive to my questions, which is appreciated. I'll be hitting up Oak today to get a quote as a comparison.

Double check that I think all machines ship from MD no matter the color. But 150 freight is very close to pallet freight. You can add more machines or product for about the same freight.

I don't think Oak does custom color...at least that is what I was told from them.

As far as the stands you can buy them from quill.com and get free shipping on the stands. That is the heavy part of your shipment.

I did some searches on quill.com and I don't see any stands other than the selectivend one.  Is that compatible with A&A (including the double bar) and/or NW?  

This is the one I found on there:  http://www.quill.com/selectivend-single-gumball-stand-for-classic-century/cbs/188397.html?Effort_Code=901&Find_Number=23417&SearchEffort=234&PromoCode=400600999

I did some searches on quill.com and I don't see any stands other than the selectivend one.  Is that compatible with A&A (including the double bar) and/or NW?  

This is the one I found on there:  http://www.quill.com/selectivend-single-gumball-stand-for-classic-century/cbs/188397.html?Effort_Code=901&Find_Number=23417&SearchEffort=234&PromoCode=400600999

I think it's exactly the same as the 24" AA stand and should bolt right up to the double bar.

Those stands from Quill are not necessarily a bargain with "free shipping"

That $40 price is steep.

A&A sells their pipe stands for $25 or so.

At $15 more per stand, Quill's free shipping isn't as free as they'd like us to believe.

Considering the OP is just starting in bulk vending and since PO89's are about to be ordered, I'd recommend just getting the stands through A&A at the same time.

If the OP also adds the toys needed to stock those machines to the A&A order the shipping is all being consolidated...making the most of shipping costs.

Those stands from Quill are not necessarily a bargain with "free shipping"

That $40 price is steep.

A&A sells their pipe stands for $25 or so.

At $15 more per stand, Quill's free shipping isn't as free as they'd like us to believe.

Considering the OP is just starting in bulk vending and since PO89's are about to be ordered, I'd recommend just getting the stands through A&A at the same time.

If the OP also adds the toys needed to stock those machines to the A&A order the shipping is all being consolidated...making the most of shipping costs.

I'm waiting to see what the shipping difference is minus the stands.  Also, I'm going with PM Supreme with the small panel head for all 5, not PO89.

I am testing the waters, not going "all in" yet.  If I were going all-in, I would be optimizing # of heads + stands on the same order to get the most for my shipping dollar.  My understanding is that toys are much lighter to ship (which makes sense, a lot more air space vs candy density).  Also, I recall that many have had problems with the capsules coming open in shipping with A&A.  If that is not an issue, please correct me.

Archived