First Account and the difficulties of figuring things out!

Maddog3632

Today was the beginning of our journey into vending.  I installed a snack and soda machine into a location today but not without lots of different issues and bumps along the way.  All of the bumps and bruises have left me wondering if this is something that I can sustain or if this was just the normal "setup" difficulties that come with learning the business and machines that I own.

First, getting the machines.  Not to difficult, found an acquaintance getting rid of some nicer snack machines and a bevmax machine that were sitting in the storage unit for the last 1.5 years (ish).  Tested all machines, working flawlessly at the time.

Then, getting the product.  After lots of talking, asking, reading this forum I hit the road and got accounts with Coke and Pepsi, along with shopping at 3 wholesalers in the area for the snack products.  This was more time consuming than I thought but am pretty sure this is just the getting going slowness.

Thoroughly clean the machines, place snacks so that they can be in place when I arrive.  Set prices in the menus make sure tags look good and are all there.

Now, time to go to the account location.  Fortunately, the guy I bought them from has a lift gate truck and pallet jacks.  They come over and move a bunch of other equipment in the storage unit.

At this point I am a bit stressed as its already been  a long day of just doing last minute readiness things because i have not had daily access to the machines.  While they are working on other equipment stored in the same location I take a close look at the back of the Bevmax and notice a burned looking spot on the condensation hose.  Hmm, it looks like this may be due to the fan.  Spin fan or at least attempt and its frozen.  I am 45 minutes from expected delivery at the new account and I just found that my fan is shot.  So, one of the guys there says I think we had a fan for that somewhere in the warehouse because they said the fan was getting hot at times.  NO way, they run 3 minutes down the road and I have now learned how to change the condenser fan (not that it was difficult).

Get to the account and set things up about 25 minutes late, they seemed ok and I apologized.  All is good now that I am sitting on the couch.

So the question: Is this normal on every account or does it get much easier?  Any advice moving forward?

Install day is always long and stressful.

I always considered myself lucky if I did not have to make a trip back to the shop.

It would be good practice the run all used equipment for a week before it gets installed especially refrigerated equipment.

Walta

It's entirely normal.  About the only time things run flawlessly during an installation is when I buy them from a distributor and have the distributor set them up.

Firstly, I don't like to give a specific time for installation.  I like to give a 48-hour time so that my movers aren't rushed and i'm not stressing over anything.

Secondly, as Walta mentioned, I make sure all the refrigeration and motors are working well before I even consider placing the equipment.  I literally just finished installing a coinco bill acceptor on an older USI 3014a machine that had a MAKA in it.  I plan on using this machine for an account I CAN get but don't have yet.  I want it ready BEFORE I make a deal.

It's not common that I don't have to make a bunch of runs for something.  Customers like to request things last-minute too.  It's very stressful because you want to say "Hey, we already discussed what you wanted and I gave you everything you asked for.  You should be grateful that I bent over backwards for you."  But you smile and say you'll try to give them what they want because hey... first impressions matter.

Here's a tip:  handle these things lightly.  A lot of people are overwhelmed by the functionality of vending machines and they understand it when machines don't work right (because they don't even understand how they work to begin with).  I usually fix everything up at my own pace, make sure everything is good and happy, and talk to them and make sure they know that I KNOW what I am doing and they can have confidence in my service.  Plus, it makes you look good when they see YOU fixing the machine right there in front of them (especially if the previous vendor wouldn't fix anything).

prep work for a snack machine-3 hrs

prep for a drink machine about 2 hrs...I also let them run for a week BEFORE they arrive at the customers place

prep work for a move 2 hrs-I measure everything and read the weather reports

I email every one and gather cell phone numbers

I allow 6 hours for a 3 machine move

most moves are not smooth and I always expect and accept the fact there will be problems

After it is done...it was just a bad dream!

Moving equipment is very challenging and until you get around 50 or so you will have to deal with something new and different just about every time.

I have had moves that literally took 5 minutes from truck to done to others that take several days to finish.

Preparation #1 All the above is very good advice........  Something seems to always get broke between shop and location. Friday I have a big set for a customer... 2 AP 112's 1 AP 113 all have been already filled except for candy. 1 Vendo 480.. 1 D/N 501-E and 1 D/N 368 (not filled) all going to 3 different buildings. 6 Total on 1 load.....  They will have to be all bolted down. We have checked and rechecked. Don't want any problems. But I am prepared....

This is where my $13,000 investment will pay off.... Airride, dropdeck trailer, Pair dollies and Steprider dolly. There will be 3 of us. 2 pushing 1 loading. Starting a 7:00 am should be done by 10 am if all goes well.  ;D

Might bring along a friend to take video. He will need money since the government is shut down and might not be getting a check at he end of the month. ops, 

Preparation #1 All the above is very good advice........  Something seems to always get broke between shop and location. Friday I have a big set for a customer... 2 AP 112's 1 AP 113 all have been already filled except for candy. 1 Vendo 480.. 1 D/N 501-E and 1 D/N 368 (not filled) all going to 3 different buildings. 6 Total on 1 load.....  They will have to be all bolted down. We have checked and rechecked. Don't want any problems. But I am prepared....

This is where my $13,000 investment will pay off.... Airride, dropdeck trailer, Pair dollies and Steprider dolly. There will be 3 of us. 2 pushing 1 loading. Starting a 7:00 am should be done by 10 am if all goes well.  ;D

Might bring along a friend to take video. He will need money since the government is shut down and might not be getting a check at he end of the month. ops, 

Isn't it amazing how smoothly the country seems to operate even with the shutdown?

First Lets all please keep our politics to are self’s.

Second let’s be clear never ever move a soda machine that has soda in it!!!!

The soda will make the machine top heavy the soda can shift inside the machine and this will make the machine move in ways you do not expect and often the machine ends up on its side.

Walta

Archived