Starting a vending route...

m2736185

Unless you are a software engineer and have access to all of the parts needed to build a kiosk that incorporates video surveillance, a credit/debit reader, real-time sales reporting, etc. you will not be able to duplicate what the kiosk manufacturers do.  Do some searching and you should be able to find some micro market suppliers that are more reasonable priced.  Avanti is probably the highest but each supplier will have their own prices, options, fees, etc.  Here are two pages of comparison information from Automatic Merchandiser/ Vending Market Watch: 

http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/download?content_id=11187507

http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/document/11187507/micro-market-side-by-side-comparison-of-non-standard-features

Avanti Systems  (and other market concepts) is a good option but getting an account that justifies it will be tough from the start. Traditionally these market systems go in large office building (high rise) large manuf. (200 plus people 3 shifts) large call centers, etc. Unless you have the sales skills and knowledge it will be tough to get these accounts. Most large vending operators have already started putting these options into their offerings so if the account would consider switching to a market system the existing account usually would offer it to them.

Also these market systems are designed to offer non traditional vending options like big bag chips, fruits, specialty cold food, ice cream, healthy options, etc. So you would need to be setup with suppliers to get these products. If you are putting a market system in justified accounts these market systems are cheaper to do (equipment cost) than large traditional vending.

I imagine these accounts are very hard to come across. I remember when I use to work for chase or bank of America there would be 6 vending machines in the break room. However, there is no way to get into the building without a pass and most of the times the building doesn't belong to the company. Who knows how you would get into contact with the person that makes that decision.

I imagine these accounts are very hard to come across. I remember when I use to work for chase or bank of America there would be 6 vending machines in the break room. However, there is no way to get into the building without a pass and most of the times the building doesn't belong to the company. Who knows how you would get into contact with the person that makes that decision.

In most cases the responsibility for deciding on the vending will be the HR dept of of the company leasing the building. I have only run into the building owner managing the vending once.

The key is getting the gate keeper to tell you who you need to talk to about their vending and how to make contact with them.

• 3 weeks later...

so,

here is my progress. I have been able to secure 2 ATM locations and I am still at 0 with the snack and beverage. I have a local guy offering to sell his smaller accounts. 11 snack drink locations averaging 24k a year for 10k. What do you guys think? My thoughts are  Its a large investment for someone just starting out, but these are machines all in place making money and they are supposedly making the minimum you want a location to make. 

so,

here is my progress. I have been able to secure 2 ATM locations and I am still at 0 with the snack and beverage. I have a local guy offering to sell his smaller accounts. 11 snack drink locations averaging 24k a year for 10k. What do you guys think? My thoughts are  Its a large investment for someone just starting out, but these are machines all in place making money and they are supposedly making the minimum you want a location to make. 

The price sounds right as long as we're not talking about a bunch of Chinese combo machines.  The accounts are obvioulsly not setting any sales records, but if the locations are in truth netting a combined 1K a month, this would not be a bad start.

You need to parse the numbers a little more.  Based on 11 locations with snacks and drinks Some quick calculations show the $24K gross equals $461 total per week which equals $42 per location per week.  Take that further and if each location has a separate soda and snack machine then they are averaging $21 in gross sales per week per machine.  If each location has some kind of combo machine then each location is averaging the $42 per week per machine/location.  $10K is a pretty low asking price for 22 machines so I believe this really consists of 11 imported combo machines.  You know how we feel about the imported machines and that we advise everyone to stay away from them.  If the machines are all made by AP, National or even USI then that would be a different story, but I doubt that will be the case.

We are getting a little experience with the micro-markets after several set ups with our larger vending companies.  They all have shrinkage and once someone realizes they can grab and go...it gets worse.  We have had to add a clause to the agreement saying shrinkage over 7% will be offset by the company.  Schools are starting to look at the markets to replace the student stores.  We need to wait and see on that subject.

The set ups we currently are watching it seems offices with 300 plus can become profitable quickly and shrinkage is less of a problem.  Hotels with the small $5000 package next to the office/clerk area do OK. These are not much more than large honor box type accounts.

Poplady: Who are you using for your micro market POS?

Ahh so it turns out the guy is selling all his combo accounts. go figure

There's a good reason he's selling his combo accounts - pass

We are getting a little experience with the micro-markets after several set ups with our larger vending companies.  They all have shrinkage and once someone realizes they can grab and go...it gets worse.  We have had to add a clause to the agreement saying shrinkage over 7% will be offset by the company.  Schools are starting to look at the markets to replace the student stores.  We need to wait and see on that subject.

The set ups we currently are watching it seems offices with 300 plus can become profitable quickly and shrinkage is less of a problem.  Hotels with the small $5000 package next to the office/clerk area do OK. These are not much more than large honor box type accounts.

Easy fix for the co that takes the time to rig it up. Most companies are using rfid employee ids for keycard door access. These can be read when passing by a passive scanned (like how ur toll ezpass works). So you set up a ascanner @ tbe door. Now you know who is coming and going then u rfid tag each item when an item is paid for its unique id is removed from the computer system if one passes by the scanner w/out being paid the scanner would know the item and employee # who took it. Shrinkage problem solved. Heck may not even be a need for a checkout process as u leave the rfid tags would all be scanned along with bur employee id and it would just charge a prepaid acct

Spydre: When you say CL you mean just from a vending ad?

So I tried calling a few of the public housing buildings in the area and they all told me the same thing. They said the housing authority deals with that and I would have to go through

them. Anyonen have any luck with placing machines in these types of buildings?

Not public housing just low income,yah u will have to cage machines,really not a big deal tho prob cost a few hundred extra per ea machine junless u can weld

Archived