Am I cheap? ?

thenewdude

I will admit if I distrubited more pieces I would have 3 more locations than I did. I always read 6-8 pieces. Some locations have stepped up and told me they get only a little bit. Should I let this bother me enough to where I should change all my heads just to feel just. Some tell me 14-16 is what other machines give... Really? Why cut so much time and profit. Is it maybe the other person had a bigger route. Please If you have the wisdom touch on this pour your heart out. I feel hard to move forward if I don't feel confident in my next step.

what are you vending

If you vend too many chocolate candies your margins go to crap

try vending gumballs and hard press candy like runts, you can afford to give out quite a bit.

Also, you should really try toys, and flat

Look at it this way.

Using Skittles as an example:

A regular size bag costs $1-$1.25 at the corner store...maybe more.

Those bags have approx 60 pieces in them.

It's unrealistic of customers to expect the same 60 skittles for $1 (15 pieces per .25 vend) from your machines that they get at the corner store.

Why? Because you are offering them more convenience than both the corner store AND the supermarket.

There is a price for convenience in almost every industry.

That's why the corner store is selling skittles for more than a supermarket will.

Your machines save them the time/gas to walk/drive to the corner store, there is no waiting in line at a cash register, and the quarter they spend already covers all applicable taxes (the corner store would add taxes to that $1-$1.25 bag of skittles).

You are offering them a convenient option for candy via your machines.

But, it's not the only option.

It they want 15 skittles for a quarter let them use up their time/gas driving or walking to the store, waiting in line at the register, AND then pay an additional % for taxes.

Don't let your bottom line suffer because other people don't understand business.

I see mm as the major concern, if you do 1/2 oz mm, based on $10 for a 54 oz bag, your cogs are around 9 cents, which, if combined with commission, will kill your profits. Try to keep cogs under 5-7 cents

Also, try doing more toys and gum, and focus on sugar candies like runts and maybe skittles and M&I

Depends on the location and if you're paying a commission or not.  If it's high volume, then you don't want to lose it, so I'd bump up the setting a notch to appease them.  If it's not doing at least $10/mech/month then personally I wouldn't change it.

Also, you should really try toys, and flat

^ This! Takes care of the whole problem. I have eliminated all but three of my candy locations, and am working on eliminating two of them. I only have one place where toys won't sell (department store breakroom). Getting rid of candy has increased my revenues, standardized the problem of vend portions, and greatly simplified operating my route.

I will admit if I distrubited more pieces I would have 3 more locations than I did. I always read 6-8 pieces. Some locations have stepped up and told me they get only a little bit. Should I let this bother me enough to where I should change all my heads just to feel just. Some tell me 14-16 is what other machines give... Really? Why cut so much time and profit. Is it maybe the other person had a bigger route. Please If you have the wisdom touch on this pour your heart out. I feel hard to move forward if I don't feel confident in my next step.

I use this from the download section of the forum and find it to work well. You can adjust the prices and quantity for current prices and weights and best of all its free. http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/files/file/41-percentage-pricing-worksheet/

I keep in mind who my "target customer" is at any location. If it is employees and customers I typically vend a my normal amounts keeping my COG to .06-.10 per vend. If my machine is in a location for employees only, especially smaller locations, I am usually inclined to vend a little more.

I keep in mind who my "target customer" is at any location. If it is employees and customers I typically vend a my normal amounts keeping my COG to .06-.10 per vend. If my machine is in a location for employees only, especially smaller locations, I am usually inclined to vend a little more.

At .06-.10, those locations need to be charity stops.

You don't want to be anywhere near .10 cent per vend cost AND pay commission on a .25 cent purchase.

However, even at a charity stop, how do you make it work when you go higher than .10 COG at those employee-only locations?

Your COG's are at 50% or more at that point!!

At .06-.10, those locations need to be charity stops.

You don't want to be anywhere near .10 cent per vend cost AND pay commission on a .25 cent purchase.

However, even at a charity stop, how do you make it work when you go higher than .10 COG at those employee-only locations?

Your COG's are at 50% or more at that point!!

All my candy locations are charity, except for a handful of gumball only locations

I guess I should clarify .06-.10 is the range. If I vend more, sure I might be at 50% for PMM but that same machine also vends skittles and gumballs so the overall COG drops.

I guess I should clarify .06-.10 is the range. If I vend more, sure I might be at 50% for PMM but that same machine also vends skittles and gumballs so the overall COG drops.

IMO, no matter what you vend (even in a charity location), anything over 30% COG is too high.

So even your .06-.08 COG items become too costly when you increase the vend amount.

And increasing vend amounts on something already at .08-.10 COG should be out of the question.

Cost of goods % is important but its not the only indicator. You have to look at each locations sales volume and net. If you have a location that is consistently turning a bag per month of M&M peanuts, thats a profit of $14.89 in one head.

If you have another candy at 20% COGS in the other head, that can be a good charity stop.

IMO, no matter what you vend (even in a charity location), anything over 30% COG is too high.

So even your .06-.08 COG items become too costly when you increase the vend amount.

And increasing vend amounts on something already at .08-.10 COG should be out of the question.

I guess to each his own, but it is my opinion that having generous portions for specific locations where you depend on a smaller number of repeat customers you can increase sales high enough to cover the higher COG. Having purchased 2 existing routes this year and increasing the portion size in several locations has proven this. I also increase portion size if I have competition and typically after a couple months one of us is no longer there. Repeat customers remember when they feel cheated and which machines vend the most.

Archived