3rd party Pepsi problems

kdub3821

I have a Pepsi machine in a great location outside a Monroe muffler next to a coke machine. My problem was the machine kept tripping its surge protector because the plug would not fit well into the socket. I traded plugs with the coke machine but everytime it rained the same problem happened. I called the Pepsi repair man to see if it was the machine failing. The repair man said it water was getting into the outlet. So I bought an outside weather proof case for the outlet. That worked fine for two months but now the machine took a crap and blew all it's electronics except for the outside lights. I can't even get inside using the remote lock. I know Pepsi is going to blame the outlit again but I'm thinking it is the machine not the outlet. I know that water is not getting passed that weather proof outlet cover. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this type of problem and what they did to fix it. Thanks

It sounds like both of these machines are outside in the rain.  Even though they are outdoor rated, they are not water proof.  You also can not ever put a soda machine on a surge protector without reducing the amperage available to the machine.  Low amperage to a compressor will cause compressor failure over time or a tripping of the circuit.  If you have two soda machines on the same circuit it must be a 20 amp circuit and not be shared with anything else.  The current issue is probably water in your machine that shorted out the electronics, a voltage surge or even a brown-out in the circuit.  As orsd stated, you should probably just put a single price machine there to avoid the issues with electronics outside.  Some machines will do well outdoors and others won't, and it just depends on whether water gets in or not.  If there is an overhang that directs water onto the machine, it will never survive.

Then you have a GFI on your power cord, not a surge protector.  It's only there to prevent dead shorts to ground from shocking anyone who touches the cabinet.  Still, if it's outside, you probably may have had water infiltration if it's directly exposed to rain or if it gets runoff from the roof on it.  In any event, call Pepsi and have them repair the machine.  That is their part of the third party agreement - you take care of coin jams, bill jams and other minor issues and they take care of everything else except for vandalism.  The fact that your lights work means you still have 110v to the machine, but you have apparently lost the transformer outputs.  If you don't have the transformer output then the logic board and the electronic lock won't work.  The electronic lock runs off the transformer's 24v output and is independent of the logic board, so the lock will work only if there is 24v present.  Pepsi can open it with a battery pack they will plug into it and they can then repair it.

All outdoor rated machines have weather stripping on the inner edges of the doors at the top and part way down the sides, and Vendo machines have a drip trough built in to the top of the outer door to channel water toward the edge of the door.  DN machines have rain curtains over the logic boards as well.  These methods are to prevent major water intrusion but a substantial amount of water on the top of the machine can overcome the machine.

What machine are you working on? Is it a Vendo or Dixie Narco? 

If the lock (Tritech) is to tight it may hang up and not allow the door to open. I have seen where pushing on the door hard and then using the key fob it might open. 

I have seen this happen also.. Pull on the door hard it might not be locked.... Don't laugh it has happened..... 

The battery pack AZ is talking about has 4 9 Volt batteries in a box that plugs in by the delivery chute. Tip make sure they are New batteries. Not cheap ones either. They have to be Duracell or equivalent.

HVV vendors the lock is interconnected with the main board. If the board goes out it won't open except with the battery pack.... If it is a add on from refurb it works by itself. Still can use the battery pack but if the board on the lock has malfunctioned then you are looking at breaking in..... Won't say on a open forum.

The gfi's are on all vendors anymore. They can be a problem. They get hot and trip. Some vendors just have a lot of problems. It only takes a very small grounding to trip them. It can be bad ballast, bad cold control, a little water here and there.

I would get a amp meter and check the compressor to make sure it isn't pulling to much. A dirty compressor will pull more than normal on amps. A good clean compressor deck should be below 8 amps running. Condenser fan motor can also be defective.   

Quoted:  "HVV vendors the lock is interconnected with the main board. If the board goes out it won't open except with the battery pack.... If it is a add on from refurb it works by itself. Still can use the battery pack but if the board on the lock has malfunctioned then you are looking at breaking in..... Won't say on a open forum."

Thank you Roger, I didn't know that the Tritech lock was ever wired in with any boards.  I have only seen the retrofit Tritechs.  If it's a HVV machine then I would go back to the transformer or the logic board. 

I really don't think Pepsi does themselves any favors by putting Tritech locks on third party machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey kdub3821, don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm a bulk guy and I was curious to why you do 3rd party with Pepsi? Is it cheaper and you don't have to worry about repairs and everything else that comes with it, to sum it all up, what is the bottom line about 3rd party vending?

I have seven of their machines. The hvv machines are the only ones that give me problems.

Make sure the HVV is level. Make sure the inner door doesn't hang up on the locking stud. If the door is to tight when it closes it will bind up. The locking stud can be adjusted to loosen or tighten the door.

Sometimes when they are refurbished not much attention is given to the lock. (HVV's only) On the side of the lock there is a tube about 2 inches long with a mirror in it to direct the beam into the tritech lock. If this tube is gone you will play hell trying to get it open. I have seen these fall off and not get replaced.

While looking at my post I realized that it isn't minimum orders that is the problem, but that you have to sell at least x number of cases of pop to use the equipment

Also you can only put coke products into a coke bottler owned, Pepsi products in pepsi owned , etc

Archived