What are your top 3 challenges as a bulk vending operator?

Rachel Rosenberg

Generating enough sales so the commission paid the location is worth thier time.This is huge to me, the big accounts want the big money but our demographic is getting poorer and thats dropping our sales. So we are becoming less interesting to the good accounts.

When I started the economy was stable. You could go into a decent size city and place rack accounts for days. Business that us bulk /amusement guys salivate over were popping up over night. This enabled newbies like myself at the time to expand in a very concentrated area. Through growth/time we naturally expanded out to other states/cities. Flash forward to the present I find myself like most of us wanting more of the pie so to speak. With that said it's tough in this economy to do that without going to states I never thought I would even consider going. Don't get me wrong I still try to concentrate my accounts in any given city or town but it's so much harder now. In a nut shell there is not as many Home run accounts out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not see this topic until now.  Rachel great post!!

My number one problem or issue is dealing with suppliers.  And really that should not be the case.  A month or so ago I had a suppler take my order and my money on a Friday then post mark a sale flyer offering free freight on that very next Monday.  to make it even worse I spoke with 2 other operators that were offered the freight deal from another sales person in the same office on the Friday that I ordered.  when I email my sales person their solution was for me to order even product from them and get the free freight on the second order.  The sale was on flat product so I used their free freight offer to score free freight with another supplier and ordered 30 boxes. 

Another supplier offered to match RI prices on balls and after the first order wanted to place a min number of cs on each order.  They gave me a run around for a few hours and made me miss the order cut off saying that they had to get the price approved.  Had that sales person delete the order and call another office.  All that office did was look at my last price paid for the item and gave me that price. No run around or approval needed.  I never even opened the last email my first sales person sent me because at that point I missed the deadline for shipping and it set me back two days on delivering promised machines.

I have been doing this 19 years I can handle location owners, locating and other operators but suppliers have gotten hard to deal with and they used to be the easy part, 

1) consistent locations

2) time to prep, service, find new locations...never enough time

3) hanging on to locations, people tend to think they can/ want to do it themselves

• 2 weeks later...

I did not see this topic until now.  Rachel great post!!

My number one problem or issue is dealing with suppliers.  And really that should not be the case.  A month or so ago I had a suppler take my order and my money on a Friday then post mark a sale flyer offering free freight on that very next Monday.  to make it even worse I spoke with 2 other operators that were offered the freight deal from another sales person in the same office on the Friday that I ordered.  when I email my sales person their solution was for me to order even product from them and get the free freight on the second order.  The sale was on flat product so I used their free freight offer to score free freight with another supplier and ordered 30 boxes. 

Another supplier offered to match RI prices on balls and after the first order wanted to place a min number of cs on each order.  They gave me a run around for a few hours and made me miss the order cut off saying that they had to get the price approved.  Had that sales person delete the order and call another office.  All that office did was look at my last price paid for the item and gave me that price. No run around or approval needed.  I never even opened the last email my first sales person sent me because at that point I missed the deadline for shipping and it set me back two days on delivering promised machines.

I have been doing this 19 years I can handle location owners, locating and other operators but suppliers have gotten hard to deal with and they used to be the easy part, 

Havending, Your biggest problem in vending should NEVER be your suppliers!  (and glad those were not me) Bottom line is, we all want your business and we should be offering you fair deals in a fast and efficient way. I hope you have better experiences in the future with those involved. In the meantime, call me!

LOL

Rachel

Archived