machine rods and locks

BlindVending

I picked up 2 oldddd machines which I believe to be oak acorns? On a stand. In rough shape. Other than some sand blasting and painting the only real issue I see is the rod on both looks broken a half inch short of where it meets the lock on the top of the globe. Without knowing 100% which machine I have; are the rods and locks (machine came without locks) universal to buy?

Does anyone have a few spare for sale?

Thanks guys!

Loosen the nut on the base of the rod and unscrew the rod until the rod meets the lock. If this doesnt work the rod is too short and you need a new one. Give Oak a call.

Lowes or Home Depot is better just cut to size.

I always cut my own. It's cheaper. Just make sure you buy a nut that fits it, run the nut down it before you cut it. Then when your done cutting it, use a grinder or something for the sharp edges, then run the nut off the side you just cut. 

This straightens out the threads so it can go in the machine easier. I usually put the cut side in the machine.

Locks for some can be bought at a locksmith, but you may have to order from the manufacturer. I have Uturn machines mostly and if you want a flat key, you have to get it from Uturn, or pay a fortune for a company to build you one.

I called a lock company for uturn and they wanted 15 a piece. It was the lock manufacturer. Uturn is less than that. Maybe I called the wrong one!! LOL

If you have a hacksaw, that will work (and cheapest). I use a cutting wheel on my grinder. If you see yourself doing this in the future, then I would do it at home and get the stuff. 

Almost forgot! run 2 nuts together so that you can tighten them against each other. One end of the nuts being right at the spot where you want to cut. Use the one as a guide so you make sure to cut a straight line. After you've done it a few times, you won't need the guide, but it will help for the threads.

Archived