T-Handle popping when closing door on Vendo 511

I have a Vendo 511 I just replaced the T-Handle on and now when I try and close it it just spins and spins, grabbing a little then popping and free spinning again....I tried a few different things and made some adjustments where I saw I could... Any ideas from the more experienced guys? I have a hunch it may be the sectional screw recepticle thingy in the cabinet that the T-Handle rod feeds into in order to shut the door.

Either your nut or t handle are misaligned or damaged. Check that the nut is secure and not too loose and make sure your t handle was installed straight. If it's slightly crooked, it will keep missing and strip the nut out. You might already have a stripped out nut too. However, if the old screw went in fine, this one should too. Make sure there are no burrs on the screw.

Since it's a late model Vendo, it should have the slam nut assembly in it so the door would get partially tight just by closing it and then you would need to turn the T-handle another 1/2 to full turn to snug it down.  If your handle is skipping after the door is mostly tight then your handle is stripped out or the pin in the end of the threaded stud that engages the T-handle is worn out. 

If you need parts for this you can PM for information as I carry them all in stock.

That T-Handle is a bear to put back together right. The springs have to be in the right place with the E-Clips... A picture is worth a thousand words. Also the Slam Nut has like a rubber band on the back of it to keep the nut tight. If it is broken the door won't tighten down.

Now that I see this, I just rpaired a machine with this same issue.  You have to make sure the Quicker Lock is properly mounted (after you put it back together).  There should be one washer on each mounting pad of the quicker lock before you put it up against the back of it's mounting bracket.  Make sure those washers fully push up against the body of the quicker lock.  Then there are two washers under each screw on the front of the bracket with the larger-hole washer against the bracket first.  This gives the quicker lock the ability to move around.  Don't overtighten the screws or it can't move and adjust to the stud.

Also make sure no harnesses have gotten between the inside of the door and the inner door that would create more of a gap between the doors.  Just one harness pinched between the inner and outer doors can cause the stud to not push far enough into the quicker lock and be gripped by the 4 pieces you're holding. 

Your 4 pieces could also be worn out - I have also seen this happen.  If they are worn and not gripping the threads on the stud then you have to replace the quicker lock.  I have this in stock if you need one.

There is an outside chance that the e-clip has come loose inside the t-handle. Especially if the old one closed just fine. Are you *certain* that you have exactly the right t-handle? There are many of them, of slightly different sizes.

I'm not having any problem getting it to close and tighten - the T-handle just sticks when opening it and it's hard to know if it's really locked.  The one I replaced it with worked fine in the other 511 it came out of. I'm thinking it may be a warped flange or something.

Joel,

What you're describing is a warped flange which is very common to all later soda machines because the flange is just pot metal.  Would you like me to send you one?

Joel,

What you're describing is a warped flange which is very common to all later soda machines because the flange is just pot metal.  Would you like me to send you one?

Yep,  the one I've got here is warped - I figure if I hammered it flat it would break.  How in heck do these things get warped?  I'm surprised that Vendo couldn't figure out how to make it out of plastic  ;D

The warped flanges I have seen were on vandalized vendors. Someone at one time has tried to used a crowbar to try and open the door by prying it open.

When in a bind with no parts I would take a 2X4 and slam it against the bolt or stud to bend it back temporarily till I got parts to fix it. That slam nut looks pretty worn to me.   

Archived