Dixie Narco 720 freezing

bluesea

I have a Dixie Narco 720p that has frozen a couple of rows of cans before turning itself off. The cans froze, expanded and  burst open.  We took out the damaged and empty cans, started up the machine and it did it again.  I'm guessing that it is a bad thermostat. Any ideas?  If it is the thermostat, it is easy to replace?

Thanks.

I think he might have one of the new dixies with the cheaper refrigeration decks and the p series board.

It's most likely a thermostat and a moderately easy fix. The most important thing is to get the correct thermostat.

Bluesea, if you confirm that this is a P series machine then it uses an electronic temperature sensor, not a thermostat. You should first check that your target temperature is accurate before replacing anything.

Go into the RFRG menu item. When RFRG is on the display, press button 1 to see the current target temperature. The display format is tt.tx where x is F for fahrenheit and tt.t is the target temperature. It should be set at 35 F. If your target is less than 35 F then press and hold button 1 to change it. Release the button at the proper target and the display will show 35 and then change to TEMP.

If the target was already correct then you need to replace the temp sensor. You can PM me if you need one.

When you find frozen and bursted cans in a vendor there will also be other cans that are or near frozen. When the compressor runs the temp coming out of the evaporator will be approx 5 to 10 degrees. That air will be blowing on those almost or frozen cans still in the bottom of vendor. They will continue to freeze up for a few days. After replacing Temperature control or making adjustments to temperature you need to shut refrigeration off for a day and let those near or frozen cans/bottles warm up. If you don't you might be changing things that don't need to be changed. 

Also, any near frozen cans will have ruined the carbonation and after they thaw out the cans will be flat or taste flat.  What I do is remove every can from every column and shake them all to make sure I don't hear any slushy sound or no sound due to it being frozen.  Any heavy slush or actual frozen can gets tossed out.

Archived