Sodas are barely cold (fan barely moving)

Hello,

Lately I've been having trouble keeping the sodas cold. A repairman came Monday and said something was lodged into the cooling deck fan. He said once the object was pulled it started working again but 2 days later I checked the machine and again the drinks are barely cold. This time though I looked down to see the fan myself and the blades are BARELY moving.

I looked really hard to see if anything else was lodged in but I saw nothing. However, I didn't take anything apart so therefore I didn't get the best view of it (don't feel comfortable doing that yet). I have 16 years experience in computers and various other electrical work and this tells me the fan might be going out. However, this is an AC fan so it might be a little different here, so I wanted to see what you AC experts think the issue might be :-)

Hello,

Lately I've been having trouble keeping the sodas cold. A repairman came Monday and said something was lodged into the cooling deck fan. He said once the object was pulled it started working again but 2 days later I checked the machine and again the drinks are barely cold. This time though I looked down to see the fan myself and the blades are BARELY moving.

I looked really hard to see if anything else was lodged in but I saw nothing. However, I didn't take anything apart so therefore I didn't get the best view of it (don't feel comfortable doing that yet). I have 16 years experience in computers and various other electrical work and this tells me the fan might be going out. However, this is an AC fan so it might be a little different here, so I wanted to see what you AC experts think the issue might be :-)

AZVendor can send you a replacement fan but he'll need to know the make and model of your machine.  These are usually pretty easy to replace.

Dude it's easy, my 501e has two fans I had the whole cooling deck out in ten min or less,

Two screws for the drop plate

Then take top air shroud off then that will expose the top of the fans, you might be able to take them off from the top if not just slid the whole deck out enough to get to them

Seriously I had no experience in these machines and I've chsmged out three fans already plus fabracated a fan plate for one of my machines.

Just dive in

Just motor alone should cost less than $40 shipped.

If machine is loaded with drinks and up against a wall, pull deck out from front.

First unplug from electricity!

Once you get deck pulled out far enough to get to fan.

Two screws holds down fan tower with cord going to compressor, undo the two wires, marking left and right wire.

Four screws holds motor to tower.

Nut holds fan blade to front of motor.

reverse process and your back in business.

cajun

Here's a picture of my fan and i'll be sending AZVendor a private message to see if he has the one I need and for how much. Also would it be okay to place a big box fan behind my machine to see if it'kll help make the drinks colder, in the meantime of waiting for the new fan?

july_11th_137.jpg

Just motor alone should cost less than $40 shipped.

If machine is loaded with drinks and up against a wall, pull deck out from front.

First unplug from electricity!

Once you get deck pulled out far enough to get to fan.

Two screws holds down fan tower with cord going to compressor, undo the two wires, marking left and right wire.

Four screws holds motor to tower.

Nut holds fan blade to front of motor.

reverse process and your back in business.

cajun

Just a couple of tips

When replacing on a lint free deck (coiled type condenser) at the top center of the shroud there is a phillips screw remove that screw and at the lower left side of the shroud there are 2 more phillips screws. Remove these screws and it will allow the shroud to move just enough so you won't have any trouble removing the fan blade. Sometimes it gets tight and you may bend blades trying to get it out. If the fan blade is bent it will have to be replaced. I replace mine with Royals fan blades because the are slight;y smaller but have 6 blades and runs a bit quieter. Angle is bit different and sits back a bit so it doesn't hit condenser. 

Also if splicing the wires don't use wire nuts. Most people don't know how to install them properly and they fall off. Nothing like reaching back there and finding a wire nut missing. I use a type of wire nut but it has to be crimped. Proper crimpers will keep it in place. Don't use the cheap automotive type strippers and crimpers. They are flimsy and don't strip nor crimp well. Spend a little more and do it right. 

Today i tried changing out the condenser fan and managed to follow the instructions and video embed you all provided me (thank you very much btw). After pulling out the cooling deck unit, I came across a very big issue,

I tried un-screwing the screws that kept the fan in place and they aren't budging at all. I must have spent 15-20 minutes trying to loosen them and didn't even come close. It's almost as if they're welded onto the base plate or something. Also I didn't see any rust on them either.

Any ideas about trying to get the screws out? I might try again tomorrow (Sunday). Thanks in advance

If the problem the tip of the screw driver is slipping in the screw the problem is the screw driver is worn out or is one of poor quality.

If the problem is you lack the grip strength to turn the handle you may need a longer one so you can get a better angle on the grip.

I do like my impact driver with a fresh bit.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_155138-353-PS41-2A_0__?productId=3265403&store_code=2299&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CordlessDrillsAndComboKits-_-3265403:Bosch&CAWELAID=&kpid=3265403&CAWELAID=1124968564&k_clickID=c33ea6e1-7b11-43de-a43c-1566e5adbaf9&kpid=3265403

Walta

I use a long 12" phillips to break those loose.  It gets your hand up above the fan motor where you can get a real good grip.  If you round it out then you'll need to grind a slot in it for a regular blade or use one of the reversing bits to get it out.

Archived